TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, let me start by saying that I suppose this thread might be controversial, but by no means do I intend it to be. I am merely sharing my story as an explanation for a move that might be considered heresy in this community.

My first vehicle when I was 15 was a '94 Toyota pickup, 4x4. Loved that truck.

My second truck was a 2002 4x4 Tacoma. That truck took me down the Baja 1000 course and back, with 100,000 miles on top of that, and was an awesome truck.

My third truck, and the first ever vehicle I bought brand new, was a shiny new 2009 Tacoma, 4x4, TRD Off-road package, absolutely loaded, with 25 miles on it.

That truck has been the worst POS I've ever owned and has been a complete nightmare from day 1.

When I went to pick up the truck they realized that the roof rack rails didn't fit right, and actually had to send the truck to the Toyota fabrication shop in Riverside to fabricate an entirely new design. I guess that was the first year Toyota built the racks in house instead of outsourcing to Thule or Yakima. They figured it out and got the vehicle to me 3 days later.

At 2700 miles on the odometer, before my first oil change, the radiator blew up. Literally blew up, spewed coolant everywhere. Replaced under warranty.

The first 60,000 miles came and went pretty quickly (3 years) mostly uneventfully, and everything seemed great, except the gas mileage. 15 mpg. And that's on a good day. My average is 14.5. That's HORRENDOUS. Not to mention WELL below the advertised 19 mpg combined, that I was supposed to get.

5,000 miles later, and everything went to $hit.

The front driver's side shock broke. On a benign dirt road in the desert. The Bilstein strut literally broke in half at the lower mount, taking out the CV boot with it. Replaced, NOT covered under extended warranty.

Radio replaced under factory warranty - was spitting CD's out at me whenever I tried to change the radio station.

Then the driveshaft broke. Took the truck in due to a weird vibration, drive shaft is actually broken. Replaced under extended warranty. (70,000 miles)

5,000 miles later I go back for a new vibration. Front driver's side half-shaft is broken. Replaced under extended warranty. Then they discover the front drive shaft carrier assembly is also bad. Replaced under extended warranty (kicking and screaming, I might add [First American Warranty = satan]).

At 100,000 miles my extended warranty ended. I'm on my own, and I'm cringing.

At 108,000 I get the headlights replaced under factory recall bulletin, since the amber lenses had melted and broken.

110,000 - replace AC blower assembly.

120,000 - I've been waiting for a year now for the recalled leaf spring replacement, with no resolution in sight.

F*ck it, I'm done.

I want to love this truck, I really do. The aestethics, size, functionality, ergonomics, and features are everything I want. The truck is paid off, and I wanted to drive it into the ground for the next 10 years or more. But I can't afford to keep on fixing it, and I can't afford the gas. I have a baby on the way and I need reliable. That used to be Toyota, but somewhere in the assembly of this truck, "reliable" got scrunched up and tossed out a window.

Am I overreacting? No, not really. This truck SUCKS. Does every Tacoma suck? No, not at all. I could probably buy another Tacoma and may not have a single problem with it, ever. But why should I? Toyota's lofty self-proclamation as the king of the mid-size truck segment has led to complacency, and frankly, they couldn't care less that they dropped the ball on my truck and now are losing me to Chevy, because there will be 100 people vying to take my place and buy a new Tacoma. Toyota doesn't give a crap about their truck's anymore, it's all about the Prius, the hybrid's, the plug-ins, the hydrogen fuel cell solar wind powered leaf-eating 100mpg concept cars. I even had a dealer tell me as much, when I asked at a trade-show in 2012 why we hadn't seen a re-fresh of the Tacoma. He said Toyota sells every single Tacoma they make, which is why they were not motivated to update it, even well after the average 6-year model cycle. Finally, we get a new Tacoma in 2015, TEN years after the new generation came out, and it's wholly underwhelming. Seems like the exact same damn truck to me. It's advertised at 26 mpg, but I'm sure it'll get 20, maybe less.

So I can put my faith in another Tacoma that looks the same, and will probably perform the same, and sure, it might be more reliable. But it might not be also.

Or, I can take a flier with the Colorado. Pretty good features, looks good, better towing, and I'm stupid excited about the 2.8 Duramax turbo-diesel. Dammit Toyota, why can't you figure out how to make the Hilux diesel work for the EPA??? The Colorado diesel coming out this fall is rumored to get over 30 MPG. Sure, that'll be less with a 4x4, but even still, I realistically stand to DOUBLE my mileage. With the low cost of diesel, I've calc'd out that I can pay for half of my monthly truck payment with fuel savings alone.

So it's a Chevy, maybe the interior will start falling apart on me or I may have some other issues. But after the trade-in value of my heap, and after fuel savings, I might only be paying $200 a month for a new vehicle with a new warranty. At least I'll buy myself another 60,000-100,000 miles with peace of mind.

That's my story, and that's why I have to abandon ship and trade allegiances. Trust me, I really wish I didn't have to, but I don't feel like I have a better option. And I can't say that Toyota has put in the effort to sway me otherwise.

I plan to wait a few months to see how the reviews come in for the Duramax, and then maybe trade-in in January. Slap a set of King's on there and I'll be in business. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe you'll laugh at me, maybe you'll envy me. I guess time will tell.

- Belk out

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
A few guys that I work with who come from a lineage of older Toyota Tacomas and Pickups have various year newer generation Tacomas from '06 to probably 2011 and universally hate them in comparison to their older ones.... tons of stupid problems and they seem to think they have a real cheap feel to them.

My best friend has a 2013 Tacoma though and seems to be perfectly content with his and has had zero problems.... although that SHOULD be the case with just about any 2.5 year old modern vehicle that only has about 20K miles on it.

Kinda sucks because my 2001 is in need of a lot of work right now... rusted out exhaust, needs new tires, rear brakes and E-brake, and either a new fuel tank or possibly just a leaky fuel tank gasket on the fuel pump assembly in addition to a growing amount of body rot on both bumpers. I may end up finding it hard to justify not buying something newer even though I love my truck and it's been as stout as can be up until now. Would love to be able to just step into a newer Tacoma and have more of the same wonderful and worry-free 15 years of service all over again.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
say a pair of '15 Dcab TRD 4x4s at the dealership today while waiting on service for my car...$36,000!!! each?!?.....are you fucking kidding me???

·
Registered
808 Posts
say a pair of '15 Dcab TRD 4x4s at the dealership today while waiting on service for my car...$36,000!!! each?!?.....are you fucking kidding me???
That is exactly why I got the Tundra. It end up being almost the same price, but I got a v-8, a lot more space, and the same lousy gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
That is exactly why I got the Tundra. It end up being almost the same price, but I got a v-8, a lot more space, and the same lousy gas mileage.
I agree with you for the most part except that Tundra fuel economy is epic-level shitty considering how tall the gearing is. The loaner I had for a few months during my frame rust recall got me 13.7 MPG on a 200+ mile all highway road trip while cruising at around 65 to 70 MPH at barely 2K RPM.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Same here. Just got a new 2015. Hoping it gives me the same, trouble-free, ultra-reliable quality I got out of my 03 Tacoma. Only reason I traded it in for the Tundra is because my toddler's car seat wouldn't fit in it. A bit leery, though, after reading about a few with expensive AIP and cam tower failures. :eek:

I agree with you for the most part except that Tundra fuel economy is epic-level shitty considering how tall the gearing is. The loaner I had for a few months during my frame rust recall got me 13.7 MPG on a 200+ mile all highway road trip while cruising at around 65 to 70 MPH at barely 2K RPM.
Did you get one with very few miles? When I first got mine, the mileage was pretty bad, but after about 2K miles, it settled into about 16 mpg - not great, but better than 13.7 mpg I suppose.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I get 17 with my 5.7 4x4 double cab Tundra. That is exactly what I was getting with my 3.4 4x4 Tacoma.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The newer tacomas do suck, however here are my experience with GM's, i used to have a 99 sierra, and my parents are die hard GM fans.....

The sierra was an electrical nightmare, the truck would almost shut off when you rolled the window up due to the load it was putting on the system. I had the window switch replaced 4 times under warrenty, never fixed the problem. The steering shaft sheered in half pulling into an angled parking spot. I have been wheeling for 15yrs now and i have never sheered one, or have been around someone who has sheered one wheeling, this truck could not handle mall crawling. I went through 3 sets of daytime running lights. I never replaced them, the dealer did whenever it was in for window switch warranty work. It was an extended cab with the third door, and the doors never shut right and the cab felt wobbly.

My parents have had 3 Acadia's: The interiors look like plastic tyco horse shit with this weird textured plastic EVREYWHERE. Each one blew up the water pump at 45k like clockwork, dealer told them that's normal and replaced it. WTF the water pump blowing is normal??? No noise, no leaking, just BAM truck stranded. The trans went out at 60k, they traded it in at that point for another one.

It is quite sad what they did to the tacoma, i just wish they would get back to its roots. It looks like they did it to even the foreign trucks. One of my neighbors visiting relatives had a hilux from Mexico, and it looked like the same pile of crap that we get here in the form of a tacoma underneath, yet somehow uglier than the tacoma.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I had an 07 Chevy Silverado LTZ it was a nightmare truck. I then bought a 04 Tacoma absolutely fantastic truck 167,000 miles. I recently bought a 2012 Tacoma with 24,000 miles. I've put 2,000 miles on it so far and must say I love the new Tacoma. No problems whatsoever. I take care of my vehicles and do the preventive upkeep and don't seem to have many problems. Time will tell with the 2012 but I'm happy so far. Good luck with your endeavors. To each there own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I want you get a new diesel Colorado and I also hope it is a good reliable truck. Looking forward to a detailed review from an actual owner. Ford is hinting at bringing back the Ranger and I hope they do. The competition will be good for everyone.

I had a 2nd gen Tacoma for about 5 years and I liked it but didn't love it. Seems like they designed it for the fancy back pockets crowd, not the core Toyota truck buyers of the last 35 years. The chassis shows major cheapness, compare 1st gen and 2nd gen upper control arms and you'll see what I mean. The amount of plastic on the 2nd gen is maddening.

I have had newer Silverado and F-150 company trucks, they both averaged 15-16 mpg and got as low as 10 or 11 mpg in city driving with the A/C cranked. I think in real life, not EPA rated mpg, the Tundra is no worse than any other full size.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I will say that the '03 3.4L 1st gen Tacoma I recently sold was by far the most reliable, trouble-free vehicle I had ever owned. It had 205K miles on it, and I have no doubt it would easily go another 200K trouble free miles with regular maintenance.

I also hope Ford brings back the Ranger. The competition will hopefully ensure Toyota will re-focus on the legendary reliability and quality it was known for.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I will say that the '03 3.4L 1st gen Tacoma I recently sold was by far the most reliable, trouble-free vehicle I had ever owned. It had 205K miles on it, and I have no doubt it would easily go another 200K trouble free miles with regular maintenance.

I also hope Ford brings back the Ranger. The competition will hopefully ensure Toyota will re-focus on the legendary reliability and quality it was known for.
May I ask why did you sell '03 Tacoma with 3.4 V6? These year Toyotas are the best.:D

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I didn't want to sell it at all! But I have a two year old, and his car seat didn't fit in the little back seat area of the extra cab. When I got the truck used in 2005, I never thought I was going to have another baby at my age - pushing 50! Was thinking of getting a newer 4-door Tacoma, but when I discovered they cost almost as much as a newer Tundra, I went with the Tundra instead.

But I agree, those 1st gen Tacomas, and my '03 especially, are exceptionally built!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My dad's 2008 Tundra with the big motor gets 17-18 mpg. For my needs and where I live though, I need a mid-size, not a full size. And I've always hated the interior of the Tundra. Not that I love the dash in the Colorado, but it's not terrible, and the rest of the interior seems nice. I love the interior on my Tacoma, it's super simple and functional. But um yeah, the stupid truck can't go an oil change without something breaking. And for the record, I've performed every major maintenance at the dealer (which I normally don't do - done it myself on my other trucks) at the proper interval. And the truck has probably less than 20 total miles in 4 wheel drive, and less than 100 off-road. Truck is a pure street queen, daily driver only. I have other vehicles for the dirt that go much much faster. When the shock broke was one of the only times it has even been "wheeled". My wife was driving and was doing maybe 15 mph over some washboard rain ruts. Snap. Seriously?

Anyway, I may be alone in daring to go GM, but at least I'm not alone in my frustrations with newer Tacoma's. Maybe the 2024 Tacoma will be tits. Here's hoping.

·
Registered
478 Posts
hahaha good luck with the new rig. I keep going back in time with my cars. Its been great so far. I have the 02 Tacoma and its still kicking ass, also got an 89 4runner that has been bulletproof as well. 2 cars is fun. convertible 4runner is great and the pickup for colder days. I'm considering getting rid of the Tacoma and just cruizn in the slow 4runner, I don't "need" the LT supercharged truck anymore, but it sure is fun to smoke audis on the street Always considered a newer taco, but I've always heard anyone who's gone from 1st gen to 2nd gen has been so sad.

·
Registered
507 Posts
hahaha good luck with the new rig. I keep going back in time with my cars. Its been great so far. I have the 02 Tacoma and its still kicking ass, also got an 89 4runner that has been bulletproof as well. 2 cars is fun. convertible 4runner is great and the pickup for colder days. I'm considering getting rid of the Tacoma and just cruizn in the slow 4runner, I don't "need" the LT supercharged truck anymore, but it sure is fun to smoke audis on the street Always considered a newer taco, but I've always heard anyone who's gone from 1st gen to 2nd gen has been so sad.
i liked my 05 at first, since the 02 was starting to be unreliable. Since the 02 has been gone, I miss the heck out of it. its been 5 years, but id rather have both.

So one day before they become a rare breed, ill get myself a 01-04.

As for the op…stick around, I wanna read your reviews when you get it, a few months after that, and a year after that. Its helpful that you owned toyotas in the past, and can compare the two and give us your opinions as to what you do like or dislike on both.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts