TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had started this in the garage section of the national board, but am moving it over here because I would rather get feedback from the locals that know our area and the terrain we wheel in. Suggestions, criticism, and name calling are all welcome. :flipoff4:

Backstory:
I picked this pile up from some tweeker that didn't know what the hell he was doing about a 2 years ago. It just sat in my driveway for a year while I built and wheeled another rig, until a year ago, when I got around to starting the slow build.

Here's how I picked it up, along with the rig that it eventually replaced. Stupid huge, and everything done half-assed. It did however, come with a rear Grizzly locker, and a horrible attempt at a SAS already done.

Some of the PO's "work":

The rear diff had a loose pinion gear, stripped out bolt holes, and 4.88 gears to match the 4.10's in the front. I ended up pulling the locker and trashing the 3rd member. The funny part is the guy worked at a local axle shop. We did the deal in the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Yep, looks like a poor mans SAS but still salvageable. If you want to do it right get The Marlin kit and have at it. That motor mount for sure needs some help. You did not show us how the rear springs are mounted but the front shackle mount should go through the frame. and front hanger will more than likely need the to be redone with the square tube spacer removed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edit: Thanks Roktoy, I agree with everything you said. Computer is acting up, so my 2nd post is delayed.

The first things addressed were the safety issues. One motor mount was rebuilt and all of the wheel stud studs were replaced, since at least 2 were broken on every wheel.

Not in chronological order:
The front was stripped down to nothing. A new spring hanger was mounted 1" forward and shackle tubes were installed, through the frame.

I got a high pinion 3rd from Marlin with 5.29's and a Grizzly locker, as well as matching gears for the rearend.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a couple of RUF trial and errors, I settled on 51" rears from a '93 pickup mixed with stock rears for the front. This gives me a decent shackle angle and they flex like crazy! Built a square driveshaft while I was at it.

Also replaced the rigged up steering system with legit crossover steering with Landcruiser TRE's and moved the steering box forward ~3".

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rear got 58" F150 springs and trail creeper shackle mounts.

Mounted 14" Bilstein 5150's on all 4 corners with homemade adjustable mounts in the rear.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eventually got new tires installed. Went with 35x12.50r15 MTR Kevlar's.

Then, time to start working out the bugs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love an automatic on the rocks, but the 22re with an auto is the most gutless animal on the trail. To get a little more torque I opted for dual cases. Went with the typical 2.28/4.70 combo with the Inch Worm auto adaptor, and a triple stick from RADesigns, all clocked 10*.

Built my own crossmember using a Front Range center plate, Ruff Stuff mounting kit and some 2"x1/4" DOM.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had to chop up the tunnel and modify the shifters to work with the 10* clocking. Also made a new lever for the middle shifter so that it would match the other two.

To cover the hole I came up with this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before the wheeling season starts again, I wanted to replace the sad looking factory front bumper.

This one is temporary, as I plan to build a winch compatible tube bumper in the near future. It'll work for now, especially since it was made from 100% scrap, so it was free.

This pretty much brings us to how it sits now. Hopefully I'll be capable enough to tag along on some TTORA runs this season.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Looking good, now your talking.
Looking good, now YOU'RE talking, numbnuts.
You're is a contraction of YOU ARE. YOUR possessive as in something that belongs to you; as an example "this is how you would communicate when YOUR brain is on drugs".

Are they simply not teaching any of this shit in our schools anymore? The Californicated school system is supposed to be worse than those in Arizona and is pretty much at the bottom of the barrel but you guys sure as hell aren't making any cases for it.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
About this Discussion
83 Replies
15 Participants
shokk86
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing