TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have done lots of searching on the forum, and found some good info.... but to be honest, its all a little overwhelming. Here is my delima, I have a 1998 ext cab 4x4 Tacoma, that is in desperate need of new rear springs and a little lift. I have added an ARE camper shell, roof rack on the camper shell, sleeping patform in the bed, and a home made rear bumper with a swing out tire gate to the truck. This shit is heavy, and my stock suspension is done. I have some serious negative arch in the stock springs and of course the ride is garbage. I can feel the bump stops over a mild "dip" on the highway, and I know this cant be safe. I have a feeling the springs wont take much more of this without breaking, and that would suck ass.

I am trying to determine if I should get the Deaver 8 pack or the Deaver 10 pack, based on the weight I am now carrying, and also will be carrying when I go on trips (camping gear, other junk). Can someone who has experience with either of these packs (or both!) please give me advice on which way to go. I want them to also add a little lift, and will be installing SAW's in the front at the same time. Im not even sure how much lift I would need on the springs for the truck to sit level with the front cranked to about 2 inches. I dont go rock crawling or anything really hard core, but just some nice trails with a few technical areas on them. More geared toward longer trips, camping, expedition/exploring offroad type stuff.

Here are a few pics so you can get an idea of what weight is on the back.

Thanks for any help. ~James

PS, the pics were from right after the bumper/gate was put on, it is sagging more now.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with Deavers, but from reading your post it looks like you may want the 10 pack. Check out Alcan's too, they tend to be better for loads. Deavers have more flex, which is something you never mentioned. Also, did you reinforce your frame with that new bumper? Good luck, and sweet Taco.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have the 8 pack and don't think they would handle all that. Go with the 10 IMO. If you call Deaver they can tell you how to weigh the truck (ie front end, rear end, total) at a scale to get the final stance you are after.

·
Registered
838 Posts
im in the same situation with my truck so id like to hear what everyone has to say as well.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flatlander, Im not dead set on Deavers, I just assumed/thought they were the best for a lifted/heavy truck. What would you reccomend in the way of Alcans?

Like I said, im not really into the rock crawling, so I dont think I need to worry about a super flexy set of springs. I dont want something that rides stiff as a board either... am I asking for too much?

My wife and I live in Germany with the US government, so it makes it a little more difficult to get certain things. Im sure I could get them shipped here,(although I may have to ship each spring separately due to weight) but want to make sure of what I need before spending the dough, as sending them back isnt an option I want to consider.

With the language barrier, and different way of doing things in Europe, im not real confident I could get the truck weighed easily. With all of these modified trucks on this board, I know someone can point me in the right direction.

I have not reinforced the frame yet, but did find the weld on plates to do them. Something I will be doing shortly.

Would it be best if I called Wheelers? Would they know/understand my problem and be able to advise the best solution? I have never dealt with wheelers, but will probably be ordering through them.

~James

·
Registered
391 Posts
call alcan directly and speak with one of the people there. tell them what you have on the truck. they know what they are talking about and will tell you what you need.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
deaver 10's, or more!, or custom alcans either would suffice.

hope yoou plated the fram cab back.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
You could also do what I did and call/contact Jacque at TRDparts4u and let him know what kind of weight you carry. I carry a Foreman 450s with winch and 27 inch tires and two cinder blocks...heavy..all the time in my truck.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69765

The pic shows my bumpstops with a Dakar full 5 leaf pack plus an extra leaf with 2 overloads and 700 +/- pounds in the bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I called Wheeler's and had them send me everything. You might be better to call Alcan directly, as mentioned above, because the make specific applications, and they will be able to build you whatever you want. Plate the frame ASAP.

·
Registered
348 Posts
James,

Go with the Deaver 10 pack. It's a solid system that is ideal for your truck. You should also look at a frame reinforcement at the same time.

Pete

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Ok, I have done lots of searching on the forum, and found some good info.... but to be honest, its all a little overwhelming. Here is my delima, I have a 1998 ext cab 4x4 Tacoma, that is in desperate need of new rear springs and a little lift. I have added an ARE camper shell, roof rack on the camper shell, sleeping patform in the bed, and a home made rear bumper with a swing out tire gate to the truck. This shit is heavy, and my stock suspension is done. I have some serious negative arch in the stock springs and of course the ride is garbage. I can feel the bump stops over a mild "dip" on the highway, and I know this cant be safe. I have a feeling the springs wont take much more of this without breaking, and that would suck ass.

I am trying to determine if I should get the Deaver 8 pack or the Deaver 10 pack, based on the weight I am now carrying, and also will be carrying when I go on trips (camping gear, other junk). Can someone who has experience with either of these packs (or both!) please give me advice on which way to go. I want them to also add a little lift, and will be installing SAW's in the front at the same time. Im not even sure how much lift I would need on the springs for the truck to sit level with the front cranked to about 2 inches. I dont go rock crawling or anything really hard core, but just some nice trails with a few technical areas on them. More geared toward longer trips, camping, expedition/exploring offroad type stuff.

Here are a few pics so you can get an idea of what weight is on the back.

Thanks for any help. ~James

PS, the pics were from right after the bumper/gate was put on, it is sagging more now.

Weather you buy through us or anther vendor I would do the Deaver 10 leaf along with the rear frame reinforcements. For shocks I would recomend the bilstien 5100's make sure you get the left and right some places just sell you two long shocks. If they do you will blow one side out the first time you bottom out. This along with the frame reinforcements is a solid set up.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
X2 on a 10 leaf and frame reinforcements. youve got a lot of weight on the rear and in the bed. 10 leaf will handle it all great. But your frame may not be so lucky.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Weather you buy through us or anther vendor I would do the Deaver 10 leaf along with the rear frame reinforcements. For shocks I would recomend the bilstien 5100's make sure you get the left and right some places just sell you two long shocks. If they do you will blow one side out the first time you bottom out. This along with the frame reinforcements is a solid set up.
Good luck.
Jason
Your the bomb (I think this is the right phrase?) You gave advise and didn't preach your product over another.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Let me suggest to you what you may have as rear axle weight. My truck with shell and camping and trail gear is around 2050lb on the rear axle. With your rack and sleeping platform, and the fact that I carry weekend rather than expedition supplies, I would figure that brings you up to 2200lbs. On the back, you have 10 gallons of gas at (I think) near 8lb/gal, round to 100lb for the cans and mounts. I don't know what size tire you have on there, but lets guess 100lb here. And the bumper and gate has to be at least 100 - 150lbs. Because all that stuff is so far back, it is unweighting your front end and putting extra load on your rear axle, at a guess I would say double it to 350lbs total. Adding that in gives a rough estimate of 2500 - 2600lbs on your rear axle when fully loaded. I would call or e-mail Deaver and Alcan. I don't know the weight capabilities of the Deaver packs are, but would not be particularly surprised if they recommend building you an 11-leaf pack.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
best response

Let me suggest to you what you may have as rear axle weight. My truck with shell and camping and trail gear is around 2050lb on the rear axle. With your rack and sleeping platform, and the fact that I carry weekend rather than expedition supplies, etc.
This has to be one of the best responses to a thread I have read on this site. Anyone that doesn't like my :2cents:. Here's my response to you'll:
:flipoff1: and not just :flipoff2: but :flipoff3:. Oh, did I tell you :flipoff4: . I don't think I got my point across :flipoff1: . Oh! Your hard of hearing :flipoff3: , need a visual effect :flipoff2: Still need one more :boobies: oop's wrong one :flipoff1: :jack:eek:ff

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
This has to be one of the best responses to a thread I have read on this site. Anyone that doesn't like my :2cents:. Here's my response to you'll:
:flipoff1: and not just :flipoff2: but :flipoff3:. Oh, did I tell you :flipoff4: . I don't think I got my point across :flipoff1: . Oh! Your hard of hearing :flipoff3: , need a visual effect :flipoff2: Still need one more :boobies: oop's wrong one :flipoff1: :jack:eek:ff
huh?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts