TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched. Ive read. and im going to get flamed. :mad:

im lifting my truck...blah blah blah. 2.5" spacers are going in the front, and im getting new leafs for the rear. its a toss-up between the deaver 8 leaf packs, or the all-pro kit. the deavers say that the springs will give me an extra 1.5"s over stock ride height, and the all-pro leafs are listed as a 3" lift. are the deavers going to give me 3"s total lift in the rear? and are the all-pro leafs going to give 3"s over stock? im confused. let the flaming begin.

thanks for your time. your help is appreciated!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Too Lazy to Flame...

Well today anyhow... LOL

My Deaver 8 pks had a tad over 2 1/2" of lift initially... They have probably settled a 1/4" or so... And I've wheeled them plenty... I'm not sure why they list them as 1.5"... By the time they settle to that... They're probably worn out...

Now the AllPro's sit a tad higher... nearer the 3" mark when new... but should settle some... I've not run those but have read a few threads saying they settle to nearer the 2 1/2" mark

Something to know that is different betweent the two... is that the AllPro springs include an anti wrap leaf on the upper forward edge of the spring pack... This may be why they settle less then the deavers may... But the biggest bonus is the anti axle wrap... I'm happy with my Deavers... But they still allow more axle wrap then I'd like and I may eventually test a set of those AP's myself... Next round..

Now Jon (owner) over at AP had to crank the front end up too much for my liking to level out the truck... But what he did was drive around with a BB engine in the bed for a coupla weeks and it slettled down some... IMO... If you carry weight in the bed alot... have a shell and maybe tow some... the All-Pro's may be a better choice...

Just my opinion... cause you know that you will get opinions from each corner and everyone in either corner will say there's are better...

If you want the truck to sit level (or close) unladen and only crank 2" into the front lift... I'd go with the Deavers... If yer going to push to the 2 1/2" height up front and carry a bit of weight... then the AP may be a better choice... Then there's price to consider... and I think the AP's will win that contest... Remember you should change out yer U-bolts when you do the change... I know with the Deavers... Stock length U-bolts will fit... I'll guess the AP's do as well... Or maybe they include them in the full rear kit package ? :dunno: I'd have to look again... I know they're not include with the deavers and theirs cost $80.00 for the set of 4... and they're too long... and will need to be cut down... Well at least the ones that were included in my Deaver purchase...

Lastly... there are tons of Opinions... I searched " All-Pro / Deaver " and found plenty of opinions... Not a thread like "All-Pro Vs. Deaver"... But plenty of opinions listed in individually related threads...

If you cannot decide... Flip a coin and just do one or the other...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i still want to stick with the 2.5" up front, so i think im going to end up going with the All-Pros. your saying the truck will sit level with the all pros? i was hoping to get a good 2.75-3"s in the rear, and keep the front at 2.5". down the road, like...after this summer, i plan on getting in some OME coils and a very mild body lift, gears and locker, and tires. so maybe the all pros would be a better choice?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
98Nick said:

im lifting my truck...blah blah blah. 2.5" spacers are going in the front, and im getting new leafs for the rear. its a toss-up between the deaver 8 leaf packs, or the all-pro kit. the deavers say that the springs will give me an extra 1.5"s over stock ride height, and the all-pro leafs are listed as a 3" lift. are the deavers going to give me 3"s total lift in the rear? and are the all-pro leafs going to give 3"s over stock? im confused. let the flaming begin.

It all depends, are the all pro's designed for a tacoma? I guess I should ask, you are lifting a tacoma correct?

I put the all pro springs on the front of my SAS and figured great, I am saving money while putting springs undre the front. Problem being is that the Allpros are not designed for the tacomas thus the truck has sagged extensively due to it.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Here Bear... the ass speaking thread... will do it for you... LOL

Clicky me

98nick... Yes that kit is for the Tacoma...

Don't forget the u-bolts ;)

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I've got Deaver 9-leaf packs on my truck to match the DR coilovers up front. When I camp, I haul a LOT of gear so I wanted the extra bit of height that the 9's provide. Empty, it sits a bit ass-high but I'm actually planning on cranking my coilovers up a tad. I really don't mind if it sits a bit ass-high because fully loaded, it's level. Personally, if you're just doing a spacer up front, I wouldn't spend the money for a full leaf pack unless something like the All-Pro springs are a lot cheaper than my 9's. I don't recall the price of the Deaver 8's though. With a spacer up front, I'd go as inexpensive as possible in the rear.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just to add more mud to the confusion, Alcan has a new 8 leaf set that Whellers is carrying that looks really promissing. They will add about 2" of lift and they are suppose to not settle as much as the Deavers. They have an extra military wrap on them with some sort of torque leaf. They are only about 40 bucks more than the Deaver shipped with Ubolts and bushings. These are the springs I think I am going to try in a couple of months.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Call Alcan and get some custom ones made. Thats what I did and they are great.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I love my deavers i got used from Wgasa, great price, allready broken in...about 2 inches of lift, when fully loaded to go wheeling/camping/ long baja trips my truck sits even with my hoes cranked for about 1.5" of lift

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
jester_motorsports said:
I've got Deaver 9-leaf packs on my truck to match the DR coilovers up front. When I camp, I haul a LOT of gear so I wanted the extra bit of height that the 9's provide. Empty, it sits a bit ass-high but I'm actually planning on cranking my coilovers up a tad. I really don't mind if it sits a bit ass-high because fully loaded, it's level. Personally, if you're just doing a spacer up front, I wouldn't spend the money for a full leaf pack unless something like the All-Pro springs are a lot cheaper than my 9's. I don't recall the price of the Deaver 8's though. With a spacer up front, I'd go as inexpensive as possible in the rear.
how does your 9 leaf pack ride with an empty bed? rear shocks?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
98Nick said:

Go with the deavers add a leaf. Its easy way to go if want lift.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Super Doody said:
how does your 9 leaf pack ride with an empty bed? rear shocks?
I'm running the Donahoe reservoir shocks in the back of my truck. I never truly have an "empty" bed. I've got my rear bumper back there along with my tire carrier, 33" spare, and hi-lift. So there's always a couple hundred pounds back there. Running with the bed empty and those things always back there, it doesn't ride that bad. It might be a little stiff but, it's a truck. I bought the 9's for a purpose and I knew I may have to sacrifice a little ride quality to get what I wanted. I've grown accustomed to it so it doesn't bother me. I've never been much of a ride quality kind of guy with a pickup.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Super Doody said:
Go with the deavers add a leaf. Its easy way to go if want lift.
Between a used set of 9's or a new set of AAL's, that's what I would go with. He's obviously going with somewhat of a budget lift so I wouldn't spend anymore than you absolutely have to. Now, if he would have gone with a nice set of adjustable coilovers, then I'd probably advise him to go with a new set of leafs.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
jester_motorsports said:
I'm running the Donahoe reservoir shocks in the back of my truck. I never truly have an "empty" bed. I've got my rear bumper back there along with my tire carrier, 33" spare, and hi-lift. So there's always a couple hundred pounds back there. Running with the bed empty and those things always back there, it doesn't ride that bad. It might be a little stiff but, it's a truck. I bought the 9's for a purpose and I knew I may have to sacrifice a little ride quality to get what I wanted. I've grown accustomed to it so it doesn't bother me. I've never been much of a ride quality kind of guy with a pickup.

Thanks I guess I'm never empty myself because I have a camper shell thats probably a couple hundred pounds. :D Just trying to decide between the 10 or 9.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
the only reason im not doing AAL's in the rear is because the springs are old, and they are sagging out like crazy. i was planning on going with all new leaf packs, and i think im gunna go with the all-pros. i always have an empty bed, and i want the rear to sit a little bit higher than my front. so, the all-pros would be a good choice?

ps. i dont care about ride quality, i used to have a '94 Jeep YJ with a 4" skyjacker leafs and 33's. after some slight bladder and kidney damage from that, i think i can handle a rought ride in a tacoma. i aint scared!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
12 Participants
Nowhere2wheel
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing