TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never forget the brave men that gave all that day!

Never forget the infamy of Dec. 7, 1941

By George Jones
The Reporter

Published December 7, 2006

Dec. 7, 1941. With the passing of each year, the memory of the day that would “live in infamy” becomes a little dimmer and less influential in the lives of many people.

Fewer than 5,000 of the unsuspecting sailors and soldiers of our Pacific Fleet who were attacked that Sunday morning survive today.

Considering most, if not all, are in their 80s or older, within 20 more years they will all belong to the ages.

Although their sacrifices and experiences will have become a mere whispering breeze down history’s endless path, there is yet a remnant that carries on the remembrance of what they did.

According to a Dec. 3 article in the Star Bulletin, the Sons and Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors, a group founded in 1973, has the motto “Lest We Forget,” that continues the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association’s theme, which is: “Remember Pearl Harbor. Keep America Alert. Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty.”

Lee Sandefer, 68, the national president of the Sons and Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors, was 3 years old when Pearl Harbor was attacked.

Sandefer was living with his family on Ford Island, across from Battleship Row.

“As a small child, I never really understood the full impact of that type of tragedy,” he said. “Now, I know it’s certainly good for the country to remember these tragedies and to honor those who perished that day and to remember all the Americans who served.”

It is exactly that familial love and pride that will nurture the legacy of Pearl Harbor long after the last survivor has died. Sandefer said, “It is the story of our country, our families, our lives, handed down through the generations.”

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Joe! great post, I always try to go out of my way to remember this sollum day, yet for some reason this year I did not realize what todays date was ( I guess I have been so slow at work I haven't had to date anything)

But this was a great reminder. My kids know what events took place at Pearl harbor. as well as who JFK was. I think it is in our country's best interest to continue to teach the country's young about important dates such as today.

In times where my highschooler gets amazed by her peers not knowing who the Beatles or even Elvis is, my second grader can tell you about Martin luther King and Johnn Fitzpatrick Kennedy.

Looks like I am going home and watching the movie tonight! It's my personal tradition!

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Great post!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Great post. I'm glad I'm in the company of proud Americans on this site.

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
Great post, I have not forgotten. My xgf's grandfather was there that day and was a Navy Diver, he survived but was one of the people who afterward had to dive down into the wreakage. And to the day he died 5 years ago he never could talk about the events that happened after that day.
God Bless all the Soldiers past and present.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Oops! my bad (typo) I meant John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

I was in a hurry so shoot me! I'll stand real close…I remember your aim shooting targets at Chad's ranch.LOL

·
Registered
495 Posts
Great post, I have not forgotten. My xgf's grandfather was there that day and was a Navy Diver, he survived but was one of the people who afterward had to dive down into the wreakage. And to the day he died 5 years ago he never could talk about the events that happened after that day.
God Bless all the Soldiers past and present.
Thats some Deep Sea shit right there. I'm a Navy Diver, and lets just say you need you balls screwed on tight just to dive a MK-V rig, let alone in what was happening right after Pearl. If you want to know what his life was like for a couple of years after the attack read the book Descent into Darkness. The community is so small that your xgf grandfather most likely knew the author.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts