TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to lift my truck in the near future, and I've got all the components picked out...except for one thing. I'd really like to do the rear shock relo, but I've heard that it can really sag if the truck is used for towing. I'm not planning on anything heavy, just a 6x10 enclosed trailer for my motorcycle and other junk occasionally. So I guess I have 3 questions:

1. How bad will the rear sink with a trailer on it?

2. How difficult would it be to yank out the relo's and put in the stock mounting shocks (I know, I'll have to keep an extra pair of shocks handy) when I need to tow something?

3. What size shocks will I need to use with the 1.5" Deaver leafpack(I saw a post from TBob saying 11" travel)?

I'm pretty new to the suspension world...so I'm having a hard time deciding which avenue to go down. Also, here's the list of components I'm planning on:

From Wheeler's:
2.5" SAW's
1.5" Deaver leafpack
extended brake lines
u-bolt flip kit
15" type-a wheels running 32x11.50's
Plus- a bunch of armor to scratch, dent, or otherwise mangle

Comment, questions, concerns? Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
oh and in answer to your question - relo the shock won't make your suspension sag when pulling a trailer - I would recommend the 9 pack deavers

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Shock relocation won't make your truck more prone to sagging. Leaf Springs are what holds your truck up. Shocks act as a damper to help keep the tires on the road and help keep body sway/roll to a minimum.

Look into heavier duty springs if you're worried about them sagging.

~Miguel

EDIT: Dang, people got to it first.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Good luck with any type of load on Deavers (unless built by them to do so). I don't see the relation with a shock relo to carrying a load or towing. As for the length of shock, I would say that you should be safe with a 10"-11".

Honestly, if it were me...If I was to tow or carry a load often, I'd probably buck up and get a airbag style load helper for the rear.

·
Registered
676 Posts
(clearing throat) we carry those air bag thingies. with a manual air up or by compressor. 4WHEEL PARTS EL PASO. 915-633-1166. :D
later
serg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the quick response guys. To note, I'm not stuck on Deaver's so if anyone knows of a better product for a comparable price, please let me know. They just quoted me $619 for the 9-leaf on the phone. Do any of you think a 5 spring with some overloads might work better for my application? One more thing, anyone in the Phoenix area have the know-how to help me with the shock relo when the time comes? I'm a piss poor welder. Thanks :kewl:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks Miguel, I probably should've wrote that better, 'cause I'm concerned about the softer springs letting the back end bottom out or bounce around with the shocks angled in.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
I liked my All Pro rear leafs when I had them. They hold a load better than the Deavers and are less expensive. You could also get the leafs that Marlin sells, they are close to the same cost. In addition to those , I would still look into the air bag load helper kits for heavy loads/towing. All said and done and I bet you could have a really nice set up for less than the Deavers. It would also allow for you to have the best of your different driving situations. If you want to get crazy, you can order some Alcans. They'll build them based on your usage. They'd probably be the best inbetween for loaded/unloaded.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
X2 on the All Pro's. I have a set and I'm very happy with them. $300 for a set is a pretty good price! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sweet! Anywhere other than All-Pro to order them? Also, is the airbag set-up pretty complicated? I've done airbags on a car for drag racing....is it the same "bag on welded perch" design? If so, I'm gonna owe one of you guys that can weld a whole case of beer :welder: :xbeer1:

One more thing: still order the 1.5" inch lift for the rear? Some companies' lifts are different than others so I want to order the right ones the first time.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Fesko said:
Thanks for the quick response guys. To note, I'm not stuck on Deaver's so if anyone knows of a better product for a comparable price, please let me know. They just quoted me $619 for the 9-leaf on the phone. Do any of you think a 5 spring with some overloads might work better for my application? One more thing, anyone in the Phoenix area have the know-how to help me with the shock relo when the time comes? I'm a piss poor welder. Thanks :kewl:

The Deavers are crap for hauling. Anytime I load my truck up I bottom out on the bump stops. THey did lift the truck 4", but they are so soft that they really do not provide much carrying capacity.

Several of us here have done the relocation of our rear shocks, along with a few other mods :D . If you got everything cut and preped, I am sure one of us could come weld it up for you. You will need four shock mounts, hardware, and some 2"x2" box steel. I say use 1/4" :eek: , but I am the king of overkill here at TTORA. If you want to take on an oncoming train, I am your guy. Seriously though, 1/8" will suffice.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
All Pro leafs measure pretty close to what they advertise. I'm pretty certain I've seen both bolt on and bag style leaf helper kits. I think the bags are a good idea since they would only come into play when you need them. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this, but my X-13, (Cruz) went a bit the cheap route. He got two leaf packs from Tacoma and built one from the 2. He loads up his trailer with 2 quads and camping gear. The truck hardly sags. He's been running that setup for I *think* 2 years. When he is not loaded, his rear isn't all up high either.

When my rear ends asks for new leafs, I most likely will go with that route. I'll see if I can get him to post.

Laters.

AzHobbes

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
My deaver 10 leaf pack works awesome for carring loads sinks very little and still flexes great on the trail. Only problem 've had with them is them bending
in front of the axle - this has happend may times, for that reason I would recommend something else.

Heatstroke said:
Good luck with any type of load on Deavers (unless built by them to do so). I don't see the relation with a shock relo to carrying a load or towing. As for the length of shock, I would say that you should be safe with a 10"-11".

Honestly, if it were me...If I was to tow or carry a load often, I'd probably buck up and get a airbag style load helper for the rear.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
TBob said:
r u gona wheel the thing? If so bags are a bad idea - if your reloing the rear the bags won't travel the distance.

I'm not talking about bagg'n the truck. They sell these spring helpers that are like air bumps but are way cheaper and designed for loads/towing. They are only there to help with loads, not to replace the suspension. Search for the info, don't email Eric with a ton of question filled emails because you only know about new mop/bucket technology.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Heatstroke said:
...Search for the info, don't email Eric with a ton of question filled emails because you only know about new mop/bucket technology.
:rofl: :lmao: :rofl: :lmao:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts