TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen quite a bit of conversation on here about the DECK PLATE MOD. I'm a member of the WATTORA chapter. There's a write up on the WATTORA site about the 3.4 V6. For those 2.7 folks out there here are some pics I snapped when I did it for my 2.7 I4.
Here's the Deck Plate mod for the 4 banger for people out there wondering if it is doable and what the heck it would look like. I did it in about an hour... Pretty easy. I used a double sided rubber tape to help fill the ridges, and used sensor safe silicone around the edge. A dremel tool makes it an easy job but it can get kinda messy with all of the plastic flying around.

After doing this mod I am definitely a believer... You can feel noticeable gains..

Dremel tool, 4" deck plate(my local boating/marine store...Also on ebay), sensor-safe silicone (auto parts store), and double sided rubber tape to help fill the ridges in the housing.(HOME DEPOT painting section).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know the Deck Plate Mod has been beaten to death by multiple posts, so let me apologize in advance. :deadhors:

I Mainly posted this so that the 2.7 guys can see some pics... I know that I would have liked some photos when I tackled this on my 2.7 which is why I snapped some in the process.

:flipoff1: That's for anyone that decides they want to burn me anyways.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I actually just did that to my 2.7 yesterday and I spent several hours searching everywhere for pictures and could not find any. I'm sure there will be those who appreciate your photos. I used a jig saw on mine...kept the saw lifted off the box so that the blade wouldn't hit the pipe inside the box though. Worked good...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see a problem with just using the silicone to fill the ridges. My thought process was that the double-sided tape would create a better seal in the event that the silicone gets old and weathered... But probably not necessary.

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
The K&N is pretty much worthless... I'd say don't waste your money on a K&N and stick with your stock drop in filter.
Reguardless of your feeling on the K & N as a filter and whether or not it helps your fuel economy/horsepower.... whatever.

You have to appreciate that you spend a few extra dollars upfront and it will last you years with proper cleaning methods... that in itself makes it a worthwhile purchase.......to me anyway.... :2cents:

·
Registered
467 Posts
What exactly is the purpose for the "deck plate mod" ?????

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've seen quite a bit of conversation on here about the DECK PLATE MOD. I'm a member of the WATTORA chapter. There's a write up on the WATTORA site about the 3.4 V6. For those 2.7 folks out there here are some pics I snapped when I did it for my 2.7 I4.
Here's the Deck Plate mod for the 4 banger for people out there wondering if it is doable and what the heck it would look like. I did it in about an hour... Pretty easy. I used a double sided rubber tape to help fill the ridges, and used sensor safe silicone around the edge. A dremel tool makes it an easy job but it can get kinda messy with all of the plastic flying around.

After doing this mod I am definitely a believer... You can feel noticeable gains..

Ok , I found the reason for the Deck Plate Mod . Why do you want more air /trash and other foreign objects into your engine? I like my Stock Air Intake the way it is . I plan to keep my Taco till the end and I am looking for longevity , not a drag racer. Slower may be bad , but reliablity is where it is at ! That is what Toyota is all about .
Dremel tool, 4" deck plate(my local boating/marine store...Also on ebay), sensor-safe silicone (auto parts store), and double sided rubber tape to help fill the ridges in the housing.(HOME DEPOT painting section).

Ok , I found the reason for the Deck Plate Mod . Why do you want more air /trash and other foreign objects into your engine? I like my Stock Air Intake the way it is . I plan to keep my Taco till the end and I am looking for longevity , not a drag racer. Slower may be bad , but reliablity is where it is at ! That is what Toyota is all about .

·
Registered
683 Posts
It still utilizes the stock filter, Just gives another entrance for air to enter the box.

·
Registered
211 Posts
ok i have a 2.7 liter and i really want to do this mod (mainly cause its cheap and i love doing stuff to my truck, and if i dont like it ill just screw the cap on) the only issue im looking at is that i have a snorkel hooked up. do you believe that the screw on cap gives a good enough seal to keep water out cause it will most likely see some?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes the cap will keep water out. These are deck plates (inspection plates) for watercraft made for that very purpose. If you've got a boat boneyard near where you live you can take one off of a decent junker and use it, but they'll only set you back about 10-15 bucks new. Just make sure you seal with silicone around the outer edge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ummm....? You still use the stock air filter... not sure what you're getting at here. This definitely wouldn't qualify your Tacoma as a drag racer, just drawing in more air. A combustion engine requires oxygen to burn, and this is only providing your stock air intake with more airflow. You're not bypassing the filter in this so there's not a bunch "trash and other foreign objects" flying into your engine. Keep smokin' your crack pipe.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Well Finally got off my butt to do mine!!
I've noticed a little bit more pep and it does seem to hold speed better on the interstate. While this might not be for everybody It was definately worth it to me and was fun to do!!:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts