TTORA Forum banner

Deckplate/Good or bad?

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Bryanccfshr 
#1 ·
I have the 2.7 4 cyl. and was thinking about the deckplate mod. I have heard that it is useless on the 4 banger but i was gonna get somemore opinions. Also if you did it where would you put it!?

#3 ·
WATRD said:
I am getting ready to add some pictures of the mod being done to the 2.7 on the WATTORA write up, when I find some time.

Less intake restriction is a good thing regardless of the number of cylinders you have.
Would the deckplate mod help my 49cc pocket bike? I just can't get enough power even with the Conair pre-heated turbo attachment. :banghead:

#5 ·
I did it on my old 03' 2.7L Tacoma, and it improved the performance a little, and it sounded pretty cool also. Well worth the 30-45min. & $15, even on the 2.7L. I used the 3" deckplate, it seemed to fit better, but I've heard the 4" has been used. I located it on the side facing the engine. Don't worry about the ribs on the outside of the box, the silicone will take up the gaps and seal it nicely.
Good Luck! :welder:

#6 ·
ShowStop said:
Would the deckplate mod help my 49cc pocket bike? I just can't get enough power even with the Conair pre-heated turbo attachment. :banghead:
Sell it and get one of these Italian bikes- 13HP :)

I have video of me at 250lbs pulling away from 150lb guys at the starting line :D It has a hand ported 50cc Polini head.
I haven't raced it in over a year though. Back then, there WERE no Chinese pocketbikes!

-Dave

#7 ·
ShowStop said:
forget the deckplate mod... get a bigger carb, injector, -1 on the pinion, race clutch springs, and a carbon fiber reed. you'll lose a little top end but it'll give you the torque you need to be like me!

#9 ·
No prob Rob :)

On topic content- I closed the deck plate on the Tacoma when I found mouse droppings in the air box. No new ones since I re-closed it. I think some mouse probably found it nice and toasty in there, hopefully to be terrified when I started the truck in the morning..heh heh

PS- Juicy Jaos, where in So Cal are you? Do you ride with the SCMiniGP guys? I haven't raced in the olast year.

-Dave

#10 ·
saki302 said:
No prob Rob :)

On topic content- I closed the deck plate on the Tacoma when I found mouse droppings in the air box. No new ones since I re-closed it. I think some mouse probably found it nice and toasty in there, hopefully to be terrified when I started the truck in the morning..heh heh

PS- Juicy Jaos, where in So Cal are you? Do you ride with the SCMiniGP guys? I haven't raced in the olast year.

-Dave
mouse droppings! damn, i better check my air box too.

ps i don't ride anymore... i bought it because i missed my real bike but it just wasn't enough so i sold it. i never rode with the SCMiniGP guys.

#11 ·
get some fiberglass screening and put it on there, that'll keep the critters out, I installed my 6" about a week and a half ago, and a cat already tried to make a home in there. I have noticed the same cat up in the eng. comp. before just chilling out, so I make it a point to check before I take off whenever my truck has to spend the night outside the garage. I went out the other morning and opened the hood, and there it was trying to get into the airbox (maybe after a mouse!?!), so I put a screen on there and no problems since.

#12 ·
A Cat!??!!

VROOOOOMM!!!! REAWRRRRR!!! SPLUTTT!!!
heh heh

-Dave

#13 ·
boylem002 said:
get some fiberglass screening and put it on there, that'll keep the critters out, I installed my 6" about a week and a half ago, and a cat already tried to make a home in there. I have noticed the same cat up in the eng. comp. before just chilling out, so I make it a point to check before I take off whenever my truck has to spend the night outside the garage. I went out the other morning and opened the hood, and there it was trying to get into the airbox (maybe after a mouse!?!), so I put a screen on there and no problems since.
Screen is definitely the way to do it as seen in on my deckplate mod:

I put this in before letting the mice poop inside it. It's nice because it also keeps larger insects such as moths and whatever from hitting the filter. Easy add on... just get an O-ring clamp and some screen (screen door material from the hardware shop works just fine) and install it through the inside of the box.

Hey... if anyone else is interested I have some good pics of my Airaid MIT/ISR mod I did when incorporating the deckplate mod if anyone wants to see them I'll start a new thread with all of them.

#15 ·
wow, mouse pooping in the airbox is a new one for me, anyways, i have a 2.7 with a 4" deckplate..works great, i also put a screen over it, just to keep bigger stuff from clogging the filter... and i guess i also prevented mice
:D But yea, just put enough sealent in there to cover the gaps... and in my opion. go with black.. i settled for a white one..looks good but ive already bought a black one to replace it when i get the time... I just looks more complete...
Brian

WATRD... your truck is awesome man... just wanted to let you know.. :)

#18 ·
what kind of filter did you put in there? i have a k&n but as soon as i get the money and the time im going to go with amsoil... watrd was saying that k&n lets in fine dirt while amsoil doesnt but still uses the same idea behind the re-useable better air flow filter...
brian

#19 ·
Tmud: Do a google search and you'll find info saying that all airfilters suck and let fine dirt. K&N fans says paper sucks, Amsoil boys say K&N sucks, and the paper filter guys say everythings sucks but paper is the less of the evils.

Pick your poison.... results are about the same.

#20 ·
Or, instead of taking anyone's word for it, hold your K&N up to a bright light and ask yourself if a filter that has holes that let light shine straight through it is really what you want "filtering" the air going into your engine.

#21 ·
The K&N is great for on road use in low dust conditions. I've been running one in my wife's Camry XLE for several years with no problems. Now, on our trucks in dusty areas like Moab, well, a paper filter works great and is inexpensive to replace. I recommend using a stock paper filter for off roading and have a spare too!

As for the deck plate mod, I think it's a good, inexpensive mod that sounds great!

#23 ·
DriftinCO said:
The K&N is great for on road use in low dust conditions. I've been running one in my wife's Camry XLE for several years with no problems. Now, on our trucks in dusty areas like Moab, well, a paper filter works great and is inexpensive to replace. I recommend using a stock paper filter for off roading and have a spare too!

As for the deck plate mod, I think it's a good, inexpensive mod that sounds great!
Roger that, I always keep a spare behind the backseat.
I am a OEM paper fan but would consider the AMsoil filter as well (just keep a spare filter for offroad excursions)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.