TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible?

and if so are there any good guides with pictures, all the ones I've seen are for v6 engines

·
Registered
106 Posts
i know you can do something very similar because ive seen it on the old forum. so 99% sure its a yes. maybe check old forumm

·
Registered
170 Posts
How come you say don't bother? I would think that it would still help out some anyways. The more flow coming into the engine the better it should perform right? Did you not see any difference?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It looks like a PITA. Most v6's do it because the front of their airbox is flat. I am guessing you might have to grind down the ridges to get the deckplate flush with the airbox.

·
Registered
40 Posts
chrisryn64 said:
is it possible?

and if so are there any good guides with pictures, all the ones I've seen are for v6 engines
Yes, it can be done easily with a 4" deckplate. I have done it myself when I used to own a 2.7L. I would recommend it, every little bit helps with that engine. since the power is in the higher rpms anyway and the engine is already screaming, the added noise from a deck plate is not a big deal.

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=12624&highlight=deckplate

·
Registered
464 Posts
ewarnerusa said:
Yes, it can be done easily with a 4" deckplate. I have done it myself when I used to own a 2.7L. I would recommend it, every little bit helps with that engine. since the power is in the higher rpms anyway and the engine is already screaming, the added noise from a deck plate is not a big deal.

I agree it can be done with a 4" deckplate.I have a 95.5 xcab 2.7. I did it and it looks exactly like the pic you posted. I used a dremel with the little cutting discs to cut the hole. The only thing that sucks is I cant put the cap on or take it off with out unscrewing the bolts to the box and lifting it up a couple of inches so the cap will fit between the washer fluid deal and the air box. So I now have the proper rachet/long extension/socket in my glove box.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I could fit the cap back on mine by just pulling the neck of the washer fluid reservoir to the side. I actually had it permanently tied as much off to the side as I could to try to get it away from infront of the deckplate opening. I used a regular drill to start the hole, then a jig saw to cut it out. you have to be careful of the inner duct when cutting the air box. check out the link from my last post for my install (scroll down in the thread for write up and more pics). just use lots of sealant to deal with the ridges of the air box, it's really not that big of deal. don't worry about making it totally air and water tight because it is unnecessary, if you look at your airbox there are factory-made holes in the bottom of it anyway. Probably to drain it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
standinit said:
Im new to the whole mechanic thing here and was wondering just exactly what a deckplate does and where might i get one
http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/jackson_deckplate/deckplate.htm
Deckplates are found in marine stores or online marine supply websites. They are basically a hole that can be plugged watertight with a threaded cap. The most commonly used diameter for this mod is 4" and that is as large of one as I think could fit in the 2.7L engine. The V6 can fit larger, I've seen up to 6" diameter ones in pics. I have a 5" one in mine, but I don't like it open on my V6. It is just so damn loud when the rpms are high under load. 4th gear at 3500 rpms up the pass about rattles your teeth out. BUt that's just my opinion, it's worth it to some people for the slight hp gain.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey man. Just wondering. Did you end up doing a write up on the install of your 4" Deckplate? I would love to have one before I go at my truck. Even if it's something that you just write up real quick so I have something more specific to look at and use when doing the same thing on mine.

Thanks a lot. Chris.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Guess I'm gonna have to take back my 3" to trade in for the 4" now that I know it's possible on the 2.7L.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
Guess I'm gonna have to take back my 3" to trade in for the 4" now that I know it's possible on the 2.7L.
It depends on the plate. Some have wider flanges on the outside than others. If you are fortunate enough to live on the seacoast where there are a lot of marine outlets you can shop around for one with the smallest outside diameter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
Hey man. Just wondering. Did you end up doing a write up on the install of your 4" Deckplate? I would love to have one before I go at my truck. Even if it's something that you just write up real quick so I have something more specific to look at and use when doing the same thing on mine.

Thanks a lot. Chris.
yeah, just check that post I had a little ways up the page with the pic and link. Click the link and scroll down to posts #11 and #12, they basically tell and show all the things that are any different from the V6 procedure.
have fun!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am lucky enough to live on the easy coast. I need to head back down to the lake sometime this weekend and check that idea out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I guess I could have scrolled down , but I didn't know if you had already done the writeup or in the process. I'll be reading that one here in a minute. I'm glad that someone finally did a write up on the 2.7L. If only someone had done some sound bytes of different exhaust tones on a 2.7L then that would have been helpful in determining what muffler to buy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just an FYI, I have an extra 5" complete deckplate at home, white in color. Does anyone want it? If you use paypal I'll let it go for $12 shipped anywhere in lower 48 states....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts