TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to do the deckplate mod, and I have read all about it on the forums...Most say that it "sounds great"....What does that mean?...A deeper throaty sound? I don't want a rice rocket sound ya know! Any better descriptions on this "great sound" would be apprieciated!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
It's kind of a throaty sucking sound primarily at WOT... Depending on with motor you have... I suppose it could be considered a little ricey... But hey if you don't like it... Screw in the Deck Plate and forget you ever did it... simple ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Pretty much what he said. If you really don't like it just screw it back in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I just realized I'm a retard........I forgot you could just cover the hole! Well, I'm gonna get started...thanks for the info! By the way, what's WOT!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
wide open throttle, and that is the only time when I really hear it (although I have also taken off the intake silencer. I dont think it sounds ricey, people always stop crossing the street or start running if I am coming at wot (of course not at them, if i am starting out of a light a little peppy), so that means that people can definitely hear it.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
DentedTacoma said:
wide open throttle, and that is the only time when I really hear it (although I have also taken off the intake silencer. I dont think it sounds ricey, people always stop crossing the street or start running if I am coming at wot (of course not at them, if i am starting out of a light a little peppy), so that means that people can definitely hear it.

people start running across the street when i let loose my 3 chime train horn on their ass!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I did this mod to my 01 V-6. I never noticed a change in sound. You could hear a sucking sound under the hood, but I could never hear anything in the cab or outside with the hood down. I also had the TRD borla exhaust, so maybe that covered it up. Like some have said, its not that much difference and if you year it you might hear it when you floor it thats about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I need to keep the airbox out of the truck for 24 hours? I gotta drive in the morning and it can only sit for 16......I used "sensor safe" Sealant. If the check engine light comes on from the fumes, will it eventually turn off once they dissapate!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think that would be enough, plus I think you could just clean the maf if the fumes get to it, though it might be running very stumbly. :rolleyes:

The sound isn't that loud or annoying and it improves throttle response pretty good. Taking off the Intake silencers make it really loud.

·
Registered
533 Posts
animalpak77 said:
Do I need to keep the airbox out of the truck for 24 hours? I gotta drive in the morning and it can only sit for 16......I used "sensor safe" Sealant. If the check engine light comes on from the fumes, will it eventually turn off once they dissapate!
You will be O.K. Mine only sat for 2 hrs using sensor safe silicone. no problems.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
You don't even need silicon on the 3.4 box. It's a flat face.

There is no need for it to be completely airtight.

I also used poprivets instead of panhead screws.

The only thing that I do not like is the Intake Air temps. Driving around on the freeway, (unknown Outside air temp) the intake temps were 59 degrees. I stopped and put in gas. When I started it up, it was 92 degrees. Around the streets it was 75 degrees.

It lets a lot of hot air in, and I still have my doubt about the deckplate mod. I may fab up a removeable tube that goes into the deckplate hole.

·
Registered
347 Posts
dont waste your time with it. Didnt notice a performance gain or better gas mileage. Just louder, especially on highways. I screwed mine back in so I didnt have to turn the stereo up as loud on the highway. May make a bigger difference if you have an aftermarket exhaust.
I did notice that the OEM air filter seems to get dirtier a little sooner than normal.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I did not use any kind of silicon either. It had a very tight seal and if water was up that high, it would get in there anyway.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Exactly my point. If water is up that high, it's just going to go through the stock location first anyways...

I did note a performance gain, but since I have the SG now, I will post my findings on the MPG debate.

·
Registered
422 Posts
A slight throaty sound, I like it.

I too noticed a slight performance gain at all RPM’s. The same goes for the TRD air filter and the tornado fuel saver. I did one mod at a time and every one helped. The performance gain I appreciate the most is smother power at lower RPMs. Torque is a weak point with my 3.4 and the mods in many situations have enabled me to drive in a higher gear without lugging the engine; helps a lot in that respect. Also I believe I have a synergistic effect going for me with all three intake mods.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I definitely could hear the change and I might have a slight increase in hp and mpg. At first, I lost mpg, but that was because I kept flooring it around to hear the engine. I have a DC 4x4 and I did a 3000 mile roadtrip a week after I did the mod. At hwy speeds of 70-85 mph, I got 19.9 mpg.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
AustinTaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing