TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a newb question. I was wondering if doing this mod would result in any benefit to running an automatic front locker such as a Lock-Right or Aussie Locker?

·
Registered
219 Posts
A lot of people talk about defeating it so that it will never disconnect because they say that there has been a lot of problems with the vacuum valves and stuff. This would be fine if you have a selectable locker, but if you want to user a lockrite or Aussie locker, it will make steering tough.

What I did was to put a switch in line from the transfer case so that when I shifted into 4wd, I had the option of unlocking the driver side shaft so that turning would be easier. I had a lockright in my front and steering was real tough. When shifted in 4wd, I was actually running in 3wd until I flipped the switch and the ADD would lock the driver axle shaft and 4wd I went.

This was my way of making a somewhat selectable locker. I also have not ever had any issues with the vacuum silenoids so this worked great.

Later

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Good info - I've allready got the switch in the cab and am putting in a lockrite was gona do just what your saying.

AZRockToy said:
A lot of people talk about defeating it so that it will never disconnect because they say that there has been a lot of problems with the vacuum valves and stuff. This would be fine if you have a selectable locker, but if you want to user a lockrite or Aussie locker, it will make steering tough.

What I did was to put a switch in line from the transfer case so that when I shifted into 4wd, I had the option of unlocking the driver side shaft so that turning would be easier. I had a lockright in my front and steering was real tough. When shifted in 4wd, I was actually running in 3wd until I flipped the switch and the ADD would lock the driver axle shaft and 4wd I went.

This was my way of making a somewhat selectable locker. I also have not ever had any issues with the vacuum silenoids so this worked great.

Later

·
Registered
219 Posts
SuprWhiteTRD said:
So with that switch installed, How does the auto locker behave around town?

I had manual locking hubs so around town I had the hubs unlocked. If you have the hub flanges, the diff will act the same while in 2wd as it did when before you installed the switch.

If the switch is on, and you shift into 4wd, it will act like it would normally (without the switch). The switch just enables the driver side axle to be unlocked from the rest of the axle.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, the switch just determines if it is in 3wd or 4wd depending on the switch position while the transmission is in 4wd? Do I have this this right?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
the switch from the tcase tells the collar on the add diff to slide engaging the front diff. If you interupt that circut with a switch you can controll that.
Now that being said next time I'm gona :flamethro your ass if you DON"T search!
frigin :newbie: :D

SuprWhiteTRD said:
So, the switch just determines if it is in 3wd or 4wd depending on the switch position while the transmission is in 4wd? Do I have this this right?

·
Registered
219 Posts
SuprWhiteTRD said:
That is correct...

TBob said:
the switch from the tcase tells the collar on the add diff to slide engaging the front diff. If you interupt that circut with a switch you can controll that.
Now that being said next time I'm gona :flamethro your ass if you DON"T search!
frigin :newbie: :D

I haven't done a search for this in a few years, but back when I did mine, nobody had tried this before or at least posted it...

·
Registered
6,892 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
AZRockToy said:
That is correct...

I haven't done a search for this in a few years, but back when I did mine, nobody had tried this before or at least posted it...
Nate............how goes the swap????

1 - 20 of 27 Posts