TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I am, spending my Sunday fighting rust bolts and freezing weather to install my new Lock Right in the rear axle. Having a good time swearing up a storm. After completely pulling everything apart, ring gear and the sonofabitchin cross pin included, I open up the box and preapre the Lock Right for installation.

While I am merrily greasing away some thing strikes me.....the couplers are smooth bored. Now I am thinking...shit, maybe there is an insert you pull off the spiders or something...Nope. Outta luck. The driving couplers had not been splined at the factory and made their way to my humble abode.

Now for the reassembly, sans Lock Right. Putting the ring gear in the oven @200 deg. for 25 minues made that baby slide right on...too bad it was without my new $300 paperweight..

So off went the emails to Richmond gear and the store I bought it from. Hopefully this story will have a happy ending...

I Have a picture if anyone wats to host it..

On the bright side, I now know how to tear down my rear axle quickly, and should have problem on installation Version 2:)

Boheefus

·
Registered
983 Posts
Wow, I'd be too pissed to type about it............I would ask for a discouted price since your out time and labor.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Weld'em in! haha sucks mad. Hope they give ya a discount or somethin for the inconvenience. I've never been a fan of going out of my way to fix a situation which shoudn't have came up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This same thing happend to me on Tuesday of last week! They got me another one that worked in about 5 Bdays. It was kind-of unbeliveable they let get buy. Oh well, I'm happy now.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crbenton said:
This same thing happend to me on Tuesday of last week! They got me another one that worked in about 5 Bdays. It was kind-of unbeliveable they let get buy. Oh well, I'm happy now.
Nice. Did you deal directly with Richmond Gear, or did you go back to the shop?

Boheefus

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just spoke to the guys @ Richmond gear. They said they had a run of these for our Tacos leave the factory unsplined. He's sending me out a new one today. FYI, if you order one of these online, talk to a warm body and have them open the box and verify that those things are properly machined before they ship it out. It will save you some aggravation.

Boheefus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts