TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the market for some tire deflators. I have been on a few runs and have had to borrow deflators lately. I didn't realize the advantage of deflating until recently, since I kind of stopped wheeling for a bit, but now that I am more knowledgeable and addicted again, need to pony up and get my own. I have been doing lots of research, but am still not completely sold on any particular one. I am kind of leaning toward the powertank monster valve & deflator kit, but they aint cheap and require wheel modification. I have read a lot of posts from the national board, this one had some good info in it.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77675&highlight=deflators

Before I found the above thread, I read Parks comparison:

http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodreview/deflatortest/deflatormain.htm

Since I currently don't have an air tank system to air up faster the Powertank monster valve kit is appealing. I assume I could get an air tank system for quick airing up after the run, but then I have to charge it so often. Since I do have a compressor I don't mind taking the time. But if I remember correctly some people switched to air tanks after realizing how much slower there compressor was.

Any one ever tried the monster valve system?

You think just some decent deflators and an air tank are the way to go for easy deflate and inflate.

I know Isaac suggested I just get some Stauns. I think Don said the el cheapo's work fine for him. Maybe I am contemplating too much or wasting too much time on the internet at work. I mean this is legal research, I can bill out for this. :D

Just kind of curious. Not that I can afford any at this moment, but payday is Friday.

And I did a search here and nothing came up for tire deflators, so thought we needed some info on this here.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
the Parks Offroad test is THE definitive review of the various options.

IMHO, the speed is overrated. We sit around and BS enough that you'll be there long enough anyways! Actually, the Monster's are almost TOO fast - you will miss all the BS'ing because you will have to watch them constantly.

I use the Sun Performance ones, cheap and you can do all 4 tires at the same time, making it pretty efficient. The downside is they aren't set (you have to watch them).

I would like the Stauns or Oasis, but they are SPENDY. (That bastard AxleIke got his for free - bum)

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Yes, yes I did.

:neener:

:xrocker:

I like mine. When I'm in a hurry, I simply screw them on, and start driving. There is always a hang up on the first obstacle of any trail, so I just take them off then.

Stauns are more consistent than the Oasis, as a buddy has those. Oasis are FAR easier to set.

In the end, I like the oasis. Even if one tire is a pound or so off of the other ones, I like the ability to judge the run the night before, spend 3 minutes readjusting, and then be able to air down to the pressure I like.

With the stauns, you have to flatten down your spare to the pressure you want, and then set all of the stauns. Not too bad, but more involved. Also, not something you can really do at at trail head.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think having them set would be nice. Cause I swear I did like 5 walk arounds checking them last week.

Even before I did the research on deflators I was checking out this system:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/4air.shtml

Although I had looked at this a year ago, Russel also mentioned building a ghetto version of this, the first time I ran Carnage.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Also, what are you talking about, spendy? They're like 60 bucks. If you were some poor college student trying to get by, thats a whole lot of beer. You've got more hardware than you know what to do with.

I'd say you're just a cheapskate.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
the Parks Offroad test is THE definitive review of the various options.

IMHO, the speed is overrated. We sit around and BS enough that you'll be there long enough anyways! Actually, the Monster's are almost TOO fast - you will miss all the BS'ing because you will have to watch them constantly.

I use the Sun Performance ones, cheap and you can do all 4 tires at the same time, making it pretty efficient. The downside is they aren't set (you have to watch them).

I would like the Stauns or Oasis, but they are SPENDY. (That bastard AxleIke got his for free - bum)
After seeing this thread I just ordered a set of the Oasis.

Also, what are you talking about, spendy? They're like 60 bucks. If you were some poor college student trying to get by, thats a whole lot of beer. You've got more hardware than you know what to do with.

x100 :rofl:

·
Registered
15,034 Posts

Yes, and I want $60 MORE hardware to not know what to do with! :flipoff1:

(and I seem to recall you saying that you wouldn't have spent that if they weren't free ... bastahd) :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
I just have those screw on deals. Screw them on and things start de-flating. Then I run around and around with the pressure gauge and try to catch them when they're exaclty what pressure I want them at. Which isn't impossible, but I do look like a dog trying to decide which tire to pee on.

I use CO2 to air up. And yes molly, I finally have my own!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Yes, and I want $60 MORE hardware to not know what to do with! :flipoff1:

(and I seem to recall you saying that you wouldn't have spent that if they weren't free ... bastahd) :D
Fact.

Although, now, maybe not. At the time, for sure. But I do love them. And they were free. So :flipoff4:

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I think I could get me some valve core removers from work....Just unscrew it a bit...same thing... I'll look into it tonight.

·
20,355 Posts
just make sure you can get the things back in and sealed or you will have a little problem on your hands.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I use the thread-on deflators found at any given auto parts store. They're $2 each, and you have to remove them to check the pressure, but they work great. I use just two of them, and air down one side of the vehicle at a time. I couldn't ask for a better setup: cheap+effective=practical.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I think I could get me some valve core removers from work....Just unscrew it a bit...same thing... I'll look into it tonight.
Make sure you try it in your parking lot first. It's very difficult to get a valve core just a little way out without it flying away in a burst of tire air, then it's very difficult to put them back in as air is rushing out of the tire. I wouldn't recommend this technique.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I use CO2 to air up. And yes molly, I finally have my own!
So Now I can borrow yours cuz my tank isn't always reliable... LOL

But seriously troy and I figure we can get about 5 full air ups from 12 PSI to 35 PSI on 35" tires with a 10 gallon C02 Tank swaped out at a reputable place (General Air or Wagners Welding)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=381

That's right, it's a $400 set of deflators. If you bought these Alex, I would just make fun of you anyway. ....then ask to borrow them.
I saw those. The price is just ridiculous. I don't think I could even bring myself to order those. I like nice stuff, but that is just retarded.

About a week ago I almost bought some Stauns deflators, which is when I read the Parks Campirison. I wanted to do more research after that article. As I contemplated it more and more, and that fact that I was much slower at filling my tires up Sunday. I thought maybe those monster valves are the way to go. Especially if I was gonna get deflators that were 60, why not spend the extra money now. But more and more that I am thinking about it. El cheapo's seem to be the more practical way at this time and use the money to pick up some chains and other gear I need more. I still may get the Stauns though. But at least I am leaning away from the whole valve system and have a better idea of which ones to get. Hence the reason I started this thread.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't really know how much I can get... but only having 32s helps!

There's a beer shop in the Table Mesa shopping center (right near Trepke) that will fill tanks. I'd rather fill than swap.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I don't really know how much I can get... but only having 32s helps!

There's a beer shop in the Table Mesa shopping center (right near Trepke) that will fill tanks. I'd rather fill than swap.

See yeah I'm a swapper. I don't have a power tank so I don't care what I get - as long as it works. But I understand your POV too...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't have a powertank either. I have whatever Chris made me from Toytec. A tank and a beverage regulator. Was cheap and works great. But I like my nice clean tank... not whatever garbage they wan't to exchange. When the hydro-stat date gets close I'll go to a trade-in place so I don't have to worry about it. I think it's 5 years for aluminum (at least it is for FD tanks if I am remembering right).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts