TTORA Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
7,735 Posts
Every time anybody brings up deflators, I try to peer-pressure them into buying these:
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=381

That's right, it's a $400 set of deflators. If you bought these Alex, I would just make fun of you anyway. ....then ask to borrow them.
OK, what the hell!?
10-20 for the cheapies, ok... $60 for some preset ones, I can buy that... $100 for the 4air, sure, slick setup I get it.. but $400?!?! what's the justification? Do the mow the lawn when not being used? dishes? laundry? sexual favors? there's got to be something to justify that kind of price.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
OK, what the hell!?
10-20 for the cheapies, ok... $60 for some preset ones, I can buy that... $100 for the 4air, sure, slick setup I get it.. but $400?!?! what's the justification? Do the mow the lawn when not being used? dishes? laundry? sexual favors? there's got to be something to justify that kind of price.
UM YEA x2

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
OK, what the hell!?
Nope its $99. You only need one. They are pretty sweet deflators designed for the military. Unfortunately for me there is almost no mark-up on them and after the CC processing fee, I break even. I will do that for any good product, just to bring it to the market.

They are very similar to Staun's, however have a selectable dial that allows you to select your PSI. For example, on trail you have never been to before, you start off at 16 PSI, then you hit an obstacle where you need more traction and need to air down more than 16, you can just dial it in. With Stauns you can't do that since you set them up to your pre-set.

However it would be very nice if they did mow the lawn, do the dishes, laundry and sexual favors... but that's why I got a I wife... LOL!

Seriously not to trying to promote the product, but just educate you all on them. I carry Stauns and the Sun's like Firetacoma posted... then I have all my bases covered and under the $99 mark.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Tried my core removal thing. Works good. And it was free. And I never have to look for it, because it's screwed onto my front driver tire. Not sure what's so hard about it....you don't take it all the way out, just partway.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I'll dig around at work in the pile of blown tubes...and steal me some valve cores...

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
However it would be very nice if they did mow the lawn, do the dishes, laundry and sexual favors... but that's why I got a I wife... LOL!
Excelent Info. (The deflators of course) Thanks for seeing this and adding some education! :D

If you can make em do the above quote I'll sell all my jewelry and get one!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Nope its $99. You only need one. They are pretty sweet deflators designed for the military. Unfortunately for me there is almost no mark-up on them and after the CC processing fee, I break even. I will do that for any good product, just to bring it to the market.

They are very similar to Staun's, however have a selectable dial that allows you to select your PSI. For example, on trail you have never been to before, you start off at 16 PSI, then you hit an obstacle where you need more traction and need to air down more than 16, you can just dial it in. With Stauns you can't do that since you set them up to your pre-set.

Seriously not to trying to promote the product, but just educate you all on them. I carry Stauns and the Sun's like Firetacoma posted... then I have all my bases covered and under the $99 mark.
The more I am reading about those, the sweeter they sound. So you think you could get by with just one? Get some el cheapo Suns or Teraflex ones to get you started then dial it in with a single Mil Spec and be set. Hmn...

Still sounds pretty rich.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Tried my core removal thing. Works good. And it was free. And I never have to look for it, because it's screwed onto my front driver tire. Not sure what's so hard about it....you don't take it all the way out, just partway.
Riiiiggghhhht. Seriously, if you wanna go cheap, buy some $2.00 deflators from CARQUEST or any other parts store. You're gonna have a hellish time out on the trail trying to air your tires down uniformly by removing the valve cores. You're also gonna cross thread them and bung up your valve stem, and if your hands are cold, fuhgettaboutit.
I applaud your ingenuity and frugality, but there's a market for deflators for a reason dude.

Great to hear from you Will. One of these days, I'm gonna buy one of those deflators from you. You've got one awesome rig, and a great business. Hey, do you sell a lot of those ViAir compressors? It seems like that's a very price-inflexible product. Everywhere you go they're expensive. But I sure do like 'em.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Excelent Info. (The deflators of course) Thanks for seeing this and adding some education! :D

If you can make em do the above quote I'll sell all my jewelry and get one!
LOL... I think iRobot is working on that.

The more I am reading about those, the sweeter they sound. So you think you could get by with just one? Get some el cheapo Suns or Teraflex ones to get you started then dial it in with a single Mil Spec and be set. Hmn...

Still sounds pretty rich.
I have never sold a set of four... the most is one guy bought one of each. You only need one.

With the Mil Spec's there is no need to use the others... just dial it in. They are not cheap, as mentioned above.

For the cheapies, I prefer the Sun's. If you start off with them, the Staun's and other just seem so worth the extra Money. I used to walk around and put each Sun on the wheel at the same time, then when the tire I started off with reached the desired PSI, remove in the same order they were put on... normally resulting in a +/- 2 psi range. Fine adjustments were then made with the back of a cheap pressure gauge. Worked great until I got the Stauns.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I used to walk around and put each Sun on the wheel at the same time, then when the tire I started off with reached the desired PSI, remove in the same order they were put on... normally resulting in a +/- 2 psi range. Fine adjustments were then made with the back of a cheap pressure gauge.
that's pretty much how I do it. When the first one gets close, I turn the others off. By the time I do that, the first one is usually good, and then I go to the next one and usually do 2 at a time then.

My tires are load range c with flexy/weak sidewalls, so i am a little more careful about not going too low.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just scored some Sun's, so won't have to borrow your alls any more. And when I show up late, which seems to be my style, no matter how early I plan to be there. I won't have to ralleye to catch up.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts