TTORA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit- Looks like the deal is gone as of midnight 2/10/05

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/outrageous_servers?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

This is a new replacement for the SC400
Customize SC420 on the left
This setup has great potential as a 2nd comp/upgrade/small server
Plus No rebates to deal with

By the time you add up individual parts to build your own box
Case/ PS
P4 2.8GHZ & MB
256 MB DDR2
Upgrade to 80GB SATA HD ($10) or 160GB SATA ($60)
KB & Mouse

Throw in a PCI Vid (It comes with built in vid) & Sound Card
And you've got a pretty decent system for the price

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike said:
Holy crap, that's a sweet deal! I just ordered one for a second machine. Free shipping too! :D

Later,
....Mike
Glad I could help liberate your cash from your wallet

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
grillmasterp said:
Glad I could help liberate your cash from your wallet
Got this thing all set up running Fedora, it's fawking awesome for around 3 bills!

Thanks again for the heads up!

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Last year, they were selling the 400sc (previous model) for $279 and it has an 8x AGP

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CronusTRD said:
Last year, they were selling the 400sc (previous model) for $279 and it has an 8x AGP
Yup- they phased out the 400Sc - but $279 was after rebate if I recall correctly
Not only did it have AGP, but more SATA & USB as well
Had friends that were able to get Dell to buy back the HArd Drive & Ram - so they got it down to less :)

I've actually passed on both systems due to the fact that the $300 purchase will force me to prematurely retire my current 2.4Ghz system as a "back up", and I'll end up buying new HD, More Memory etc and spending more money

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mike said:
Holy crap, that's a sweet deal! I just ordered one for a second machine. Free shipping too! :D

Later,
....Mike
Mike, I am considering this server. Do you think I can use this as a desktop? The site says no, since you have one, can you tell me if it comes with usb, video card ...etc? I also have windows 2000 server, can I buy this and make it work as my desktop instead of a server?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Mike, I am considering this server. Do you think I can use this as a desktop? The site says no, since you have one, can you tell me if it comes with usb, video card ...etc? I also have windows 2000 server, can I buy this and make it work as my desktop instead of a server?

Thanks,
Ben
Hi Ben. I dunno why they say it can't be a desktop. It doesn't have an AGP slot, so I just bought a decent PCI video card to put in there. It does have USB.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mike said:
Hi Ben. I dunno why they say it can't be a desktop. It doesn't have an AGP slot, so I just bought a decent PCI video card to put in there. It does have USB.

Later,
....Mike
More ques... what are you using as an OS? How about printer, does it have the socket for it.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
More ques... what are you using as an OS? How about printer, does it have the socket for it.
Yes, it has a parallel port. I'm running Fedora Core 3. I was dual booting with Windows XP and Fedora, but then decided that was a waste since I have a dedicated XP machine for games and stuff.

Later,
....Mike

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL-
Wow- The current promo includes a 2.5X GHz Celeron for $229 - less $20 rebate= $209 + tax

·
Registered
23 Posts
grillmasterp said:
LOL-
Wow- The current promo includes a 2.5X GHz Celeron for $229 - less $20 rebate= $209 + tax
Thanks MIKE and Grillmasterp!

I just picked up this deal. Grillmasterp, the link above was excellent and eased my mind, now I just need to pick up a cheapo monitor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts