TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a rough first copy of our new FJ rear bumper. The final product will be allot cleaner. But this gives you an idea of the lines we are going with.

A few things that were asked for and you got.

Rear back up lights
Rear back up sensors (they won't be in the current locations)
Tire swing out will be an option and bolt to the bumper.
Instead of a side step we made the top flat so you could use it as a step.
The back of the bumper is not any farther out than the frame and not any lower than the frame so you loose no departure angle or rear clearance.
3\16in construction with 1\4in mounting support brackets.
The factory hitch should fit right over the bumper (we haven’t test fitted it yet)
1\2in shackle points
We will offer an "off-road receiver" as well that mounts straight out the back instead of on the bottom like the factory hitch.

Any questions ask away.

I will be in Calico this weekend with the club if anyone wants to see it in person.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jason - I think you hit all the critical points...thanks for making it "upgradable" for those that want a gate for tire/gas/ammo can mounts.

My only request/question is being able to run the exhaust through the bumper at some point. For me, that is the problem point with departure angle. I would love to be able to run the exhaust through the passenger side. I've looked underneath and it seems to me like it could run through in a spot like I have blacked out on the photo. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jason - I think you hit all the critical points...thanks for making it "upgradable" for those that want a gate for tire/gas/ammo can mounts.

My only request/question is being able to run the exhaust through the bumper at some point. For me, that is the problem point with departure angle. I would love to be able to run the exhaust through the passenger side. I've looked underneath and it seems to me like it could run through in a spot like I have blacked out on the photo. What do you think?
I agree the tail pipe out the back would be best. But there is no room in the frame you would need to cut a big hole in the rear of the frame then put it through that hole. It might rattle too. I should take some pictures with the bumper off to show the frame.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Looks great Jason! I'd want one w/o the backup lights and weld on my tire carrier. I'd also possibly want some short side protection hoops that wrap the back below the tail lights. As for a hitch I'd like it frenched into the rear frame crossmember and through the bumper.

I'll take one, can you have it ready by the time I get there? LOL!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Nicely done....as usual.

·
Registered
153 Posts
more questions/comments

The bumper looks good...one thing I was looking forward to was a jerry can mount/rack thingie... Maybe there isnt much room with the spare tire?

What would be the advantage of the swing away spare tire? Im looking forward to ordering mine. One thing I love about my demello armor is the parking lot protection:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree the tail pipe out the back would be best. But there is no room in the frame you would need to cut a big hole in the rear of the frame then put it through that hole. It might rattle too. I should take some pictures with the bumper off to show the frame.
Yes, you should post pics of the frame! Many people don't understand what you have to work with under there.

Maybe I'm one of the few that will load stuff in the back with the vehicle running but I wouldn't want the exhaust exiting at that spot regardless...

How much weight do you think that tire swing out can hold?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Just had a look at what ARB is planning to release and I must say you guys trumped them BIG time. Well done. ETA, weight and approx cost would be nice... at your convenience, of course :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes, you should post pics of the frame! Many people don't understand what you have to work with under there.

Maybe I'm one of the few that will load stuff in the back with the vehicle running but I wouldn't want the exhaust exiting at that spot regardless...

How much weight do you think that tire swing out can hold?
OH MY GOODNESS SHE IS ALIVE!!!! Tax season didn't kill her after all!

Jason, rear bumper looks great I like where you are going with it.

Man I can't type tonight I need to stop drinking...

·
Registered
419 Posts
...sometimes i regret getting an 06 taco

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks great Jason! I'd want one w/o the backup lights and weld on my tire carrier. I'd also possibly want some short side protection hoops that wrap the back below the tail lights. As for a hitch I'd like it frenched into the rear frame crossmember and through the bumper.

I'll take one, can you have it ready by the time I get there? LOL!

If we did hoops on the side I'm afraid at that height they would bend if you leaned into something with the truck.

Tire carrier is not a problem to weld it on.

Putting the hitch through the frame is not to hard either the only problem is you will not be able to get to your hitch pin unless you move it 2-3 back from where it normally is.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts