TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didnt know exactly where to put this thread, but I just got a tacoma in today to have work done on it (repair work). It has been mobbed VERY hard and i figured id post up some pics to show what can and HAS broke while mobbing hard. The truck has been in a front impact due to a drunk driver hitting him which caused the frame to tweak and had to be straightened. So the frame crossmembers probably cracked from that and whatever else, but ya destruction pics are always fun.

So heres how it showed up

Heres the pass side of frame where the frame bent and had to be straightened.

Cracked and tweaked rear xmember

VERY cracked front xmember

Well the engine was leaning quite a bit

Both bolt tabs were ripped out

Thought it was just the passenger side, but the rubber on the driver side was cracked around the bolts AND the rubber sheared off

And the trans mount is missing the center support

Ill post more pics up as i see them, and i have seen quite a bit more just havent taken pics yet. Im going to fix the problems that are a big concern, make an engine cage and a front bumper.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh you kids giving up on a truck too soon!!! Its straight and will be far stronger when its finished. The frontend is aligned so its time to make it so it wont move again. His crossmembers are cracked and tweaked, but even cabbages race truck had more small cracks in MANY more place then this when i first started on it. Coilbuckets were cracked all around at the frame, the tops of BOTH coilbuckets blew out, front crossmember was cracked almost all the way around on both sides, rear frame was cracked in 4 places just past where the boxing ends, motor mounts were pulling off the frame, trans mount was tweaked, etc. I didnt get any real pics of cabbages but im getting pics on this truck.

This thread is to show where weak points are so you can build a cage our gusset/strengthen certain areas. Add your own pics if you have any good ones. I dont wanna see "heres a pic of my broken antenna". I want REAL cracked/broken parts.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
actually this is a GREAT thread!! now i know wear to double and tripple check when doing my monthly roll under the truck and stare/clean off caked mud routine.

how ever with the truck being beet on that badly id throw it on a frame machine or at least check to make sure everything is still straight and true under there.... id say theres a good possibility of needing to be pulled

seems a new front cross member and some really beef drivetrain mounts are in order along with a fully boxed frame do you think the frame plate reinforcments would have helped?

oh and more pics please!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
actually this is a GREAT thread!! now i know wear to double and tripple check when doing my monthly roll under the truck and stare/clean off caked mud routine.

how ever with the truck being beet on that badly id throw it on a frame machine or at least check to make sure everything is still straight and true under there.... id say theres a good possibility of needing to be pulled

seems a new front cross member and some really beef drivetrain mounts are in order along with a fully boxed frame do you think the frame plate reinforcments would have helped?

oh and more pics please!!!
Lol. Its been to the frame straightener. That's why is has a cracked windshield. They forgot to shut the hood.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The frame has been straightened and because of that i cant hammer on the crossmembers too much to get the gaps to close up perfectly, but i did get them close and was able to weld them. I ground them down flush and then double plated the top and bottom side of the front crossmember.

Now this is at the rear crossmember. For some reason the factory only welded small sections on the bottom of the joint and left the area where the red arrow is, completely unwelded. Ive seen cracks at this point a few times. The way i fix it is to weld up the gap on the front and back of the crossmember and i also weld the factory plate that is attached to the mounting ears. If you look at your trucks, you can see where these pics are.

And i found a few cracks at the crossmembers and the frame. They were small so i just drilled and welded them. And yes ALL cracks need to be drilled and welded, some may even need to be drilled, ground out and welded. And be careful when you drill to make sure you get the end of the crack. If you look at the pic, the red arrow points to where the actual end of the crack is.

And heres the crossmembers all welded up

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Never quite showed the end, so heres what ended up happening to mikes truck

Found out since the rear crossmember was tweaked a non broken steering rack wouldnt fit in. I didnt want to restraighten the crossmember and mess up the alignment so i just cut out the center support and rebuilt it.

Got the motor mounts remade

And a new trans mount

To stop the frame from tweaking anymore it got an engine cage.

And then he came back quickly after. I didnt get the pics (damnit!!) but the leaves were pretty bent and threw the pinion angle off so bad that it caused a very bad vibration. So he decided to go with an f67 pack and ditch the bed. After i got the springs in, the truck still shook and it turned out the driveshaft bent. Luckily centralcoasttaco99 had one just 20min away (come one mike post up the vid of the dshaft!!).

Made a storage box for it

And put some aluminum pieces in the back. It covered up the box making it look better, the flat bed section is so he can still haul some things around, and the angled piece covering the shocks is great for strapping down a spare or using it as a recliner.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice fab upgrades. You made chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. The front fenders might look too extreme though.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Awesome work with the bed. Thats something along the lines of what I want to do. Very clean.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice fab upgrades. You made chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. The front fenders might look too extreme though.
hey now. dont talk about my piece of sh*t like that! yes. they need to go bye bye. Ill keep them till steves schlong travel goes on it. then decide how it looks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts