TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am ready for a locker, but I hear from 4Wheel parts that Detroit only made a locker for the 8.4" diff. They also say that toyota made our trucks with both an 8" and 8.4", and that the toyota parts dept. would be able to tell me what size Ive got by the VIN.

Well, I call toyota and they have no clue. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Is this a DD? You might want to consider a selectable locker for that rig. Driving around town locked, is going to get really old, really quick.:2cents:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
X2 Your Detroit will eat tires because it will drag the other tire around a corner.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments. It is a DD, I cant afford the ARB arit locker, but want something strong. Currently I have an Open Diff. (what size is that?)

What solution do you all suggest, without paying 2000 for an ARB?

·
Registered
419 Posts
of course you have an open diff...considering you want a locker.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
IMO if you jump into this with the cheapest short term solution in mind, you may regret it down the road. Take your time, save your cash and do it right for the long run. Maybe you should consider an LSD and not a locker.:2cents:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Thanks for the comments. It is a DD, I cant afford the ARB arit locker, but want something strong. Currently I have an Open Diff. (what size is that?)

What solution do you all suggest, without paying 2000 for an ARB?

I have the 8.4" rearend with the Detroit Locker in the back.

If you have a TRD offroad package, you have an 8.0" (e-locker)

If you have a non-TRD, you have an 8.4" (everything else)

The Detroit is an excellent unit, with superb traction and durability. However, it does come at a price. It will kick like a mule if you don't adjust your driving style. I dont hit the gas around tight corners and it does just fine. The other thing to keep in mind is that it will negatively affect your tire wear. I paid $469.00 for mine, not bad considering the ARB unit will be ~$700 + the compressor. My truck is a trail dedicated machine.

The other thing to realize is that this topic is covered in the FAQ area on the old delphi boards. If you do some digging on there you'll find all kinds of useful stuff that can be harder to find around here.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont want to go cheap, but at 2 grand the ARB more than expensive. I was quoted a grand for the detroit (w/install), I dont consider the detroit a cheap alternative.

So nobody knows the size of the open diff ring gear? Toyota almost got it using the tranny code, but their information stops at 2004. Can you believe that they cannot tell me anything about my 2005? so very fustrating.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I dont want to go cheap, but at 2 grand the ARB more than expensive. I was quoted a grand for the detroit (w/install), I dont consider the detroit a cheap alternative.

So nobody knows the size of the open diff ring gear? Toyota almost got it using the tranny code, but their information stops at 2004. Can you believe that they cannot tell me anything about my 2005? so very fustrating.
Look one post above you. ;)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

Also, if you're willing to pull the third member yourself, you should be able to take them your rear end out of the truck. If you do that, they should charge you about $60.00 to toss it in and set the backlash on the gears. Just pulling the third yourself should save you around $400-$500.

Its really simple, just check the link in my sig and it'll show you what all you have to pull.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Is this a DD? You might want to consider a selectable locker for that rig. Driving around town locked, is going to get really old, really quick.:2cents:
When have you driven with an automatic locker?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
i love it when people spew misinformation out their ass!

·
Registered
883 Posts
their not that badd, once they break in their much better. a buddy of mine has one on his 05 prerunner with a 5 speed 4 cylinder, and he said it was rough for a little while, but once it broke in and got used to it, it wasnt that bad. I would definatley not recommend it for someone up north in snow and ice. And i think it would be smoother if you had an automatic.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Experience or regurgitation?
My only experience w/a detroit is my buddys K-5 Blazer. It was a beast but not very road friendly.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
My only experience w/a detroit is my buddys K-5 Blazer. It was a beast but not very road friendly.
I've been driving with an automatic locker for four years, with three winters in Utah. Once you learn how the locker operates you can minimize the tire wear, handling quirks, and other issues.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts