TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys hopefully you can help me out here.

It's been 20 years and about 30,000 beers since I took any electronics classes so I'm a little rusty. Here's my dilema, if I hook a device to my battery so it's always hot how long would my battery last with the following specs:

Battery voltage: 12v (or should that be 12.8? :D)
Battery Amps: 600
Device voltage: 5v
Device Amps: 1.2

The math I'm using, which is probably wrong, returns 1200 hours or 50 days of juice.

12v X 600Ah = 7200 watt hrs
5v X 1.2Ah = 6 watt hrs
7200 / 6 = 1200 hrs

It's probably safe to assume the 12v to 5v converter uses a little juice too. So if the converter is about 85% efficient then the total time would be 1020 hours (42.5 days).

So what do you guys think? 42.5 days sounds kind of high to me but like I said above it's been a LONG time since I've had to figure out anything like this.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I should have thought of that.

Whats going on is a guy I've done some work for has had his barn broken into several times and a lot of tools have been stolen. He has no power out there so he's wanting to put an Infrared IP camera in the barn and power it from his trucks battery which he parks in there. The Wifi signal is strong enough that connecting wont be a problem.

So the camera would only be on at night then during the day the battery would be recharged while driving around. If you've got any better suggestions let me know, he already has the a camera.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
201 Posts
How about a dedicated battery and a solar panel to keep it charged? Just thinking if it were me after a while I'd forget to plug the camera into the truck battery.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be an option, an interesting one too. I'll talk to him about it tomorrow.

Thanks!

·
Registered
290 Posts
A friend has a camper-type trailer and they use a small solar panel, only about a foot square, to keep a charge on their trailer battery for small lights, radio, etc. No heavy power equipment used. I think they got it at Northern Tool, Harbor Fright, or some place like that. Panel and charger were pretty cheap. He could mount the panel out of sight but still get sunlight and charge the dedicated battery like mattsonmj suggested.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. I spoke with him today and he's going to park a tractor in the barn and hook to it's battery, that should give him a year or two. :D

It'll be interesting to see the video if he does catch the person(s) stealing his tools.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just thought I'd mention this. He caught his thieves but not from the camera, he was out walking his dog late the other night and saw some neighbor kids climbing into his barn. He called the cops and they came over and caught the kids in the act. Apparently the cops did a stealth thing and parked down the road then snuck into the barn. I would have loved to sit back and watch with some popcorn! :D

Fcking kids, I'm sure they deserve more then what will probably happen to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts