TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after breaking 2 sockets and a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter trying to get the U bolts and shackles unbolted on my project Tacoma I finally said screw it.....I'm gonna' get an impact wrench today. I've been holding out until I could get a good air compressor, figuring that I'd be able to use it for more than just the impact. But every time I get close to the $900 or so saved up for the compressor some emergency comes up and I don't have the money for a compressor, much less the accessories and air tools. I never gave much thought to electric impact wrenches, thinking that they couldn't possibly stand up to an air impact. So today I figured what the hell, I'll look and see whats out there. So I looked on here at some of the reccomendations and started looking at prices. I looked at both battery operated and AC impacts, but I decided on AC because I'll mostly be using it in the garage and when I am using it it will be for long periods of time. So, prices were averaging between $200 and $400 with some internet deals for around $150. I went to Lowes and looked and they didn't have any AC Impact wrenches, and the battery ones that they had were rated in in/Lbs....not going to do it for removing leaf springs. I was on my way to Sears when I passed by one of the local pawn shops that specializes in tools. I thought "Hey, I'm sure that some schmuck either bought one of these, or got one as a gift and never used it." or even more likely..it dissapeared from someones garage, but hey its a pawn shop and they are supposed to check these things, so I stopped in to look. I usually don't like to shop at pawn shops anyway, because you never know what kind of shape the stuff is in, and its usually not that good of a deal anyway. But they did have a Dewalt DW292 electric impact wrench, and it looked to be in pretty good condition. It was priced at $80, so I jewed the guy down to $70. They also had a impact socket set priced at $30, and I talked him down to $20 on that. So for $109 (including tax) I go home and plug in my new impact wrench. Not expecting much I put it on the nut for the U bolt that had snapped my sockets without budging. WOW was I surprized. In 2 pulls of the trigger the nut spun right off. Less than 5 minutes later I had all of the nuts for the leaf springs off. That $70 tool had just paid for itself in 5 minutes, replacing busted sockets, busted knuckles, frustration over using a 4' piece of iron pipe where there is just no room, etc etc....If only I hadn't been such a doubter and had tried one of these years ago!

·
Registered
911 Posts
That model is the ONLY electric impact we move outof our store here!!! Everybody loves them. Ive had mine for about a year now

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hell yeah i am getting the DW292 for x-mas, I am pumped, u got a good deal cause i know my mom paid like 190 for mine :eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Worth every damn penny. I use a Milwaukee electric myself with a cheapo set of metric and standard impact sockets from Harbor Freight ($20 a set...Woo Hoo!!). The wife got it for me a year ago after me throwing the 4-way across the garage one too many times. I love it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Any one know how much these draw? I am wondering if it would be practical if someone is running 2 batts. and has like a 1000 watt converter to have this as an on-board item. I know many have air systems but in reality unless you spend BIG $$$ and can fit over 5gal of airtanks in the truck air tools are limited.
Just an idea
Thanks for pointing this out I think I have something to add to the xmas list :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
That Dewalt is 7.5 amps so about 825-863watts. But that is a constant rating I don't know how much the initial draw would be but because it's an impact wrench I'd bet it has a high startup draw? 1000watt converter "Might" handle it if it doesn't have a huge startup draw.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Good steal on that wrench

Noob Q

Quick question, I got $100 bucks from the gf and ive got $100 saved....i went into the Sears and inquired about cordless impact driver (Dewalt). The guy told me that it wouldnt be able to loosen lug nuts, only aircompressed wrenches would :confused: If this is false can someone recommend a couple Impact wrenches for me?

Would a regular $60 torque wrench be better???? I can see a torque wrench would be more versatile (it can get into little spaces) but i have no idea what to get

After doing a search i found out more info.....When using a TQ wrench=dont use to break the lug nuts? When using impact driver=only use to break lugs, dont use to tighten (control of torque)???<<<<<TRUE????????

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i got a harbor freight one, i jsut bogut it to use around the house, ive got an air impact, but its much more work to use it and its louder....

if the harbor freight one breaks i have the 2 year warranty thing on it... not bad for $50.... ive already used it quite a bit on my new truck

·
Registered
911 Posts
marnes2986 said:
Noob Q

Would a regular $60 torque wrench be better???? I can see a torque wrench would be more versatile (it can get into little spaces) but i have no idea what to get

After doing a search i found out more info.....When using a TQ wrench=dont use to break the lug nuts? When using impact driver=only use to break lugs, dont use to tighten (control of torque)???<<<<<TRUE????????
An impact driver and impact wrench are two different things, same principle different applications. The small impact driver you saw is used mainly for fasteners, ie hex head screws, sheetmetal work light duty stuff, usually rated in in lbs. An impact wrench is what you are looking for in relation to heavy rated jobs, ie lug nuts, large tightening applications.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
marnes2986 said:
Good steal on that wrench

Noob Q

Quick question, I got $100 bucks from the gf and ive got $100 saved....i went into the Sears and inquired about cordless impact driver (Dewalt). The guy told me that it wouldnt be able to loosen lug nuts, only aircompressed wrenches would :confused: If this is false can someone recommend a couple Impact wrenches for me?

Yes, the small cordless impact drivers are only meant for small fasteners, and they are rated in in/Lbs. They do make larger battery powered impact wrenches, but they are quite pricey. There are also corded impact wrenches (which is what I got) and they are ideal for most vehicle maintenence situations. Mine is rated at 345 Ft/Lbs of torque. I was very surprized how well it worked in loosening old rusted bolts.

As far as the torque wrench goes the statement is true. Impact wrenches are mainly for LOOSENING hard to remove nuts/bolts. They can also be used for putting them back on, but care must be used. A torque wrench is an instrument used for TIGHTENING bolts/nuts to a specified torque. it is NOT to be used for loosening, as it will damage the torque wrench. Basically, you should tighten the fastener finger tight, then use the torque wrench as the final step to make sure that the proper torque is obtained. For the lug nut situation, it would be best to use an impact wrench or a 1/2" breaker bar to remove the lug nuts, and to put them back on just finger tighten them and then use a torque wrench to torque them to spec. Many tire shops use impacts for both removel and replacement of lug nuts, in the intrest of speed. The problem is that overtightening your lug nuts can cause warpage of your rotors, deformation and stripping of the lug nuts, not to mention a very angry vehicle owner when they have a flat and have to try to change the tire on the side of the road, and they cant get the lug nuts off because they are too tight/deformed/stripped :mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts