TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Fabtechs offer 3.5 in lift. How about the hoes? And ride quality is there a big difference? I have a friend with Saws, so I know how they are. Just lookin for some info before I buy.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The hoes can be cranked up to 3in and still ride great. Which fabtechs are you talking about? They now offer 3 for the tacoma. Stick with the camburgs or hoes. Camburg has the best customer service that I know off.

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Critt50 said:
I know the Fabtechs offer 3.5 in lift. How about the hoes? And ride quality is there a big difference? I have a friend with Saws, so I know how they are. Just lookin for some info before I buy.

The 3.5" of lift the fabtech's claim is a little misleading. Sure you can crank them up that high, but your ride quality will suffer greatly, as will your upper balljoints and CV boots. Realistically, you'll want to go no higher than 3", and you'd actually probably like the ride quality a lot better at 2-2.5". With any of the coilover lifts, the higher you crank 'em, the worse the ride gets. The fabtech's will likely ride similarly to your friend's SAW's. The hoes should ride much better.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
i have the fox/fabtechs..avoid them.
at least the ones with the air valve on the bottom of the shock.
i keep breaking the valves off.:(

·
225 Posts
Critt50 said:
The hoes will ride much better. Fabtech offers a few differnt Tacoma coil-overs the first being a cheep white chinese shock then the next step is a Fox 2" shock then Finally the 2.5 dirt logic shock. The dirt logic shock is the top of the line Fabtech offers. It is a copy of our first generation shock. the fabtech Dirt logic and the Camburg shock are both pretty much the same. Both are a high quality 2.5 coil-over both have the exact same components and size and stroke and wheel travel. The hoes have more stroke more ability for wheel travel and a bulit in hydrolic limiter for full droop. Plus the hoes are a digressive piston which allows the shock valving to have a greater ability to give you the best all around shock performance on and off the road. the best way to really find out is test drive them both, then you can really feel the differance. If you take a poll I'm sure anyone with a Camburg, Donahoe, Fabtech dirt logic shock will tell you they are happy with them. All of them make a huge improvment over stock. Im kinda bias so take my post with a grain of salt. Donahoes are by far the best ride with way more advantages. But that is just my humble opinion.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. I know the Hoes aremore costly, but that seems to be the way to go. Now that Christmas has run down the funds its time to start saving up. :eek:zzy:

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
KRYPTO(dale) said:
i have the fox/fabtechs..avoid them.
at least the ones with the air valve on the bottom of the shock.
i keep breaking the valves off.:(
flip your shocks around.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Donahoe said:
The hoes will ride much better. Fabtech offers a few differnt Tacoma coil-overs the first being a cheep white chinese shock then the next step is a Fox 2" shock then Finally the 2.5 dirt logic shock. The dirt logic shock is the top of the line Fabtech offers. It is a copy of our first generation shock. the fabtech Dirt logic and the Camburg shock are both pretty much the same. Both are a high quality 2.5 coil-over both have the exact same components and size and stroke and wheel travel. The hoes have more stroke more ability for wheel travel and a bulit in hydrolic limiter for full droop. Plus the hoes are a digressive piston which allows the shock valving to have a greater ability to give you the best all around shock performance on and off the road. the best way to really find out is test drive them both, then you can really feel the differance. If you take a poll I'm sure anyone with a Camburg, Donahoe, Fabtech dirt logic shock will tell you they are happy with them. All of them make a huge improvment over stock. Im kinda bias so take my post with a grain of salt. Donahoes are by far the best ride with way more advantages. But that is just my humble opinion.

Hope that helps
Quick ??? for you. When you offer the 1in more travel hoes is it bad for the stock parts? The stock parts can only take so much before they need to be replaced or made better. It seems that another inch of travel would almost pull the PS apart over time. I was just wondering if you guys recommend replacing the stock parts or extending them!

·
225 Posts
Lucky13TRD said:
Quick ??? for you. When you offer the 1in more travel hoes is it bad for the stock parts? The stock parts can only take so much before they need to be replaced or made better. It seems that another inch of travel would almost pull the PS apart over time. I was just wondering if you guys recommend replacing the stock parts or extending them!
We use the same coil-over on our Race truck that just won the Baja 1000. We run the stock class so all the front end parts are factory parts. We have seen no effect on any stock parts. Part of the reason is we have a hydrolic limmiter built into the shock. At full droop there is 1/2" of hydroilic lock out. So no Thud, clunk, or harsh rebound to hurt parts. Just a shift in gears in the shock at full droop. we do this for the very reason your asking about, to save parts and make sure the coil-over dosnt have any ill-effects on the stock componnents.
We have two forms of our Tacoma coil-over. The first is a 5-8610 and those are for stock upper control arms. The second is a 5-8615 and those work with Aftermarket upper control arms. Both coil-overs will stop the suspension in both bump and droop before any ball joint, cv, or tie rod bind. The reason we gave the extra inch of travel is so people can actually utilize the extra droop allowed with a upper control arm. All the others stop short and stop hard. The other big advatage is we use 100% of the shock shaft stroke which allows for a more effective shock.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Donahoe said:
We use the same coil-over on our Race truck that just won the Baja 1000. We run the stock class so all the front end parts are factory parts. We have seen no effect on any stock parts. Part of the reason is we have a hydrolic limmiter built into the shock. At full droop there is 1/2" of hydroilic lock out. So no Thud, clunk, or harsh rebound to hurt parts. Just a shift in gears in the shock at full droop. we do this for the very reason your asking about, to save parts and make sure the coil-over dosnt have any ill-effects on the stock componnents.
We have two forms of our Tacoma coil-over. The first is a 5-8610 and those are for stock upper control arms. The second is a 5-8615 and those work with Aftermarket upper control arms. Both coil-overs will stop the suspension in both bump and droop before any ball joint, cv, or tie rod bind. The reason we gave the extra inch of travel is so people can actually utilize the extra droop allowed with a upper control arm. All the others stop short and stop hard. The other big advatage is we use 100% of the shock shaft stroke which allows for a more effective shock.

Does that make sense?
Thats all I was looking for thanks. Very well put

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
my buddy has the regular donahoes w/ stock uca's in his and i've got the extended donahoes w/ camburg uca's...i gave him a ride and he said he could definately notice the difference

·
225 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
my buddy has the regular donahoes w/ stock uca's in his and i've got the extended donahoes w/ camburg uca's...i gave him a ride and he said he could definately notice the difference
In all of our testing the biggest advantage to any UCA is not more travel. We found that when you add a UCA with a uni-ball upper ball joint you will lower your roll-center quite a bit. The reason is because you raise the ball joint center line about an inch over stock. Thus making your spindle taller, thus changing the angle of your upper control arm, thus lowering your roll centers. The truck will handle better and corner better. The Funny thing is all these companies that make uca's have no clue about that and lower roll-center is the dramatic change in ride not the wopping 1" of travel they allow.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
as i pointed out in another post, the camburgs are a copy of the old donahoes with the old technology. The new donahoes have more technology...and they're the same price so why not buy the best you can get for the same price? the Donahoe racing tacoma won its class in the baja 1000 using only their suspension products (and the required safety equipment of course), what more reason than that would you need to get the donahoes?

·
225 Posts
jzaiden said:
We don't have a clue? Ok....
Ok let me re-phase that.. I didnt mean you have no clue in building a GREAT UCA... You do... But I have never once seen you or any of your competitors with that product ever mentioned it in any of the advertising or web pages as a benefit. As far as what a UCA does for a Tacoma; lowering roll centers is the biggest benifit. I just find it funny and misleading that everyone harps on wheel travel when the gain is so minimal. Its not just you Jerry its the whole industry. So dont get your feelings all hurt... I wasnt calling you out. I'm trying to sell UCA's For you here....JEESE! I have to recommend someone. I dont make UCA's because you had them first and I wouldnt want to step on your toes. So I just recommend stuff to people. Try to guide them the right way. Hence my post about the advantages of UCA's.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Do you have 4" longer coilovers for use with a Pro Comp 4" lift? If you do, since they are adjustable, would the "0" be 4" over stock and the "3" be 7" over stock? Also, what would be your price?

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I've heard such great things about these coilovers that I would love to check out someones truck that had them before spending the money. You know anyone in the CT area that has them? I don't know of anyone on the New England forum that does.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
i dont think they do...did the PC 4" come with 4" longer coilovers overs or a coilover spacer like the trailmaster 6"?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts