TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, tax return season is upon us and I was thinking . . . just thinking about upgrading to a Diamond axle. I like All-Pro's front 60, but it's 5k just for the axle and another $1400 for the third member. :eek:

Soooo, I was wondering what everyone is paying for their Diamond axles, fully assembled, with thirds, ready to go.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Fully built I'll be a little under 4, when I get done doing it myself piece at a time.
I heard a number this weekend something like 5500 for equivalent, built by a shop.
Housing on pirate for 800, don't know wms-wms though.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wes. I paid $2700 shipped for my rear diamond with full float about two years ago and it has been flawless.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Tim,

Since you already have a built 44, why not just get a ford hypinion and transfer everything to that?

My Diamond was:

$900 for housing
$735 for custom shafts
$50 for knuckle gussets
$450 for E-locker 3rd
$250 for used axle
$160 for new brake hardware/vented rotors
$200 for JT outfitters axle rebuild kit
$469 for Marlin High Steer
$70 for custom draglink Marlin screwed up
$~100 for new hardware studs/bolts/washers

Around $3200.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Got a quote for a front for my swap soon.......$4950 with locker, and 5.29's. Ouch...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing I would be able to switch over would be the outer stubs, CTMs brakes, hubs and the like. Would need an new ARB, new inners, new housing, labor to set up the gears, new tie rod and drag link . . . all for an axle that is hard to find here on the left coast. I also just got a price on a Currie Rock Jock . . . 7k fully loaded!!!!!!

My whole purpose in doing this is to get my tires out of the front springs. At 125 ish in wheel base, driving this pig on the tight trails is a work out. Plus, I would also like to reduce my scrub radius as I'm running 1.5 inch wheel spacers with my 3.5 inch backspaced wheels. I could just have my old TRD housing re-tubed with Dana 60 outers and then use a hi pinion e-locker for the front to keep it all Toy, but I have yet to find someone in So-Cal to do it.

Tim

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rubberpants said:
Got a quote for a front for my swap soon.......$4950 with locker, and 5.29's. Ouch...

That is about what I figured. The nice part about going to all Toy stuff is that I wouldn't have to carry around two sets of tools!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
You could also just have the wagoneer retubed and use the wider shafts.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is true. Then I would only need new inners, plus the price of having it re-tubed. Not a bad idea.

Tim

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Timbuddha said:
That is true. Then I would only need new inners, plus the price of having it re-tubed. Not a bad idea.

Tim
I'm sure there are places up here, but Down in SD (El Cajon) there is a guy who helped me figure out how badly my rear was bent... grumpy old man, but he knew his stuff. They were building a drag car and the axle with it when I was down there.

I just wish I knew the name. I could get there again though!

If you are happy with the LP, just get it re-tubed and get new inners. Probably cheaper, till you need to buy spare inner shafts.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that I think about it more and more, I might just have it re-tubed since I haven't had any problems with it and I haven't really broken anything on it. It is going to be down for a few weeks anyway while I replace the knuclkes and service the bearings.

Thanks everyone!!
Tim

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Good, now we have to figure out how to spend the extra $$ we just saved you :D

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wgasa84 said:
Not a problem Tim.

Do you still have your TRD 3rd with that housing? Or are you using it?
I am using the third that came out of that housing. The housing is in the garage waiting to be used. :)

Tim

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Timbuddha said:
The only thing I would be able to switch over would be the outer stubs, CTMs brakes, hubs and the like. Would need an new ARB, new inners, new housing, labor to set up the gears, new tie rod and drag link . . . all for an axle that is hard to find here on the left coast. I also just got a price on a Currie Rock Jock . . . 7k fully loaded!!!!!!

Tim
You'd need a new arb? Aren't all d44 carriers created equal? I am using a 4.10 + carrier out of a low pinion chevy in my hp d44.
Rock Jock, I still shudder every time I think about an aluminum axle housing. :eek:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CronusTRD said:
Good, now we have to figure out how to spend the extra $$ we just saved you :D
Beadlocks!!!! I have a friend selling a set of Walkers and red label Krawlers for a cool grand. I really don't care for the red label Krawlers as I still drive my rig on the street now and again, but I could always sell the Krawlers, sell my wheels and tires and buy a set of Maxxis Creepy Crawlers. :)

Tim

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PappaF2 said:
You'd need a new arb? Aren't all d44 carriers created equal? I am using a 4.10 + carrier out of a low pinion chevy in my hp d44.
Rock Jock, I still shudder every time I think about an aluminum axle housing. :eek:

They make a cast iron one now. :) My understanding was that the ARBs were different between hi pinion and low pinions.

Tim

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Timbuddha said:
...but I could always sell the Krawlers, sell my wheels and tires and buy a set of Maxxis Creepy Crawlers. :)
I hope you don't get seasick easy!!! :D

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Timbuddha said:
:confused:

Ahhhh, now I get it, the thump thump from the bias ply tires.

It is definately time for lunch and I'm getting nothing done here. :lmao:
Exactly! ;)

.........awesome tire offroad, but they are kinda like riding a brahma bull on the highway! :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts