TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking at doing a diamond front axle for Felix. Just looking for feedback. What do those of you that have them think? What would you do different or is it perfect the way you have it? Thoughts or comments welcome.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Go with Ruffstuff; the diamonds we've had had surface imperfections on the mating surface for the third member. Roughly finished and leaky.
That may have changed by now, I don't know.

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
I just looked at rough stuffs axle. Its ok. Ill have to find some reviews from people who use it. Did I read it wrong or can you only use 4.10 gears? Or is the 4.10 thicker than lower gearing?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just looked at rough stuffs axle. Its ok. Ill have to find some reviews from people who use it. Did I read it wrong or can you only use 4.10 gears? Or is the 4.10 thicker than lower gearing?
I think what it says on ruff stuffs site is that 4.10 is the largest ring gear toyota uses and it has 1/4" clearance so anything else would have more clearance and fit better?

thats what i got out of what it said

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
That blue fj40 we built had stuff axles and either 4.56 or 4.88 gearing... I can check next week. It sure as shit wasn't 4.10.

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
if its a brand new gear set, you will find metal shavings in it until it has been broken in.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Yep its been out. We found a lot of metal in the diff so we are looking at upgrading the housing when we rebuild the front end.
I'll pick up that Lok-Rite when you're ready; this Detroit is rough on steering.

I thought about it, and that front axle was complete when I bought it; the rear was a third. I put new oil in both when they went under Grond; I have no idea where any metal could have come from. :confused:

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I love mine. Haven't had a single issue with it. No leaks or alignment problems. Brian was 100% spot on in all of his setup. I have bashed the diff in to rocks and hard and it hasn't dented even. No issues with 3rd fit or leaking. Top notch quality and I would buy them for everything i own if i could afford it.

Some people have had long wait times so if you order it don't expect it tomorrow. I wanna say 6-8 weeks would be a good guess but it depends on how busy he is. Its worth it. i wish i had gone wider on mine so when you do it make sure you get what you want the first time.

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
if its a brand new gear set, you will find metal shavings in it until it has been broken in.
Its a used set and a lot more metal came out than fluid. So before we damage the locker or do more damage we will rebuild it and just redo the housing with a better one. We have already ordered new axle brackets for the links.

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
I love mine. Haven't had a single issue with it. No leaks or alignment problems. Brian was 100% spot on in all of his setup. I have bashed the diff in to rocks and hard and it hasn't dented even. No issues with 3rd fit or leaking. Top notch quality and I would buy them for everything i own if i could afford it.

Some people have had long wait times so if you order it don't expect it tomorrow. I wanna say 6-8 weeks would be a good guess but it depends on how busy he is. Its worth it. i wish i had gone wider on mine so when you do it make sure you get what you want the first time.
Thanks for the info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
orange crusher
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing