TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not unless they also changed the cab body mounts...
I'm pretty sure the top and rear of the flair, along with the mounts are still the same. Mostly I was wondering about the front end. When my buddy switched to 33s in his 2010 SR5 he had to heat up and remould the front flair to stop the tires from rubbing, and that part is now absent in the new design.

Mostly I'm just working out ideas in my head. I'd like winter tires before winter but I'm not installing a lift until next spring. If I get stock size I'll only get 5-6 months use out of them, but if I get 33s (285/75R16) I don't think they'll fit.

I've never lifted a Tacoma before. I've read up a lot but words are no replacement for actual experience. I'm anticipating the trimming the cab mounts, although potentially not having to trim/reshape the front bumper/flair will be nice. Rims have a 4.8" backspace.

·
Registered
357 Posts
^Yeah, can't help ya there. My stock front bumper was gone before I got bigger tires. My understanding though, is that you just have to do a little trimming to make it work. In order to stuff them, you're going to have to do that all the way around, so I'm not sure why that matters...

8" wheels, I'm assuming? I'm just speculating here, but it sounds like you will be very close to contacting the UCA

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wheels are 16x7.5, 10mm offset

I ran the specs through a wheel calculator and it'll give me 0.6" more clearance than the stock TRD Off-Road wheels on the inside, and going to a 285 will increase the tire width 0.4"... so I should still end up with an extra 0.2" clearance vs what the stock TRD Off-Road wheel/tire would have.

·
Registered
357 Posts
FJ wheels?
If you get agressive 285s, I still say it's gonna rub. You are factoring in the width, but leaving out the height. My 255s rub either frame or UCA, depending on alignment (stock wheels). You can always get .75" spacers though if it's more than you can stand...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TRD fake beadlocks. The FJ wheels are +15mm offset, so around a 4.9" offset vs the beadlock's 4.7".

I'm going to hold off on getting new rubber until after the lift is in. I'm not a fan of all season tires in the winter, but atleast the stock Rugged Trails have siping for on road driving. Bigger lugs would be nice for snow, but we can't have everything we want, can we?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts