TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a note that my water pump was leaking!?!?!??!?! WTF? my radiator fluid has NEVER ever gone down in level. yet the toyota mechanic, in fact it was the master mechanic, stated that the water pump was leaking & needed to be replaced.

of course I did NOT authorize the replacement, seeing as I've never seen my fluid go low, in fact my resavior is still half way full.

is he trying to make extra $$$ to fix something dat doesn't exist?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Many posts over the years suggest that the WP (3.4) often needs replacement with the timming belt/ around 80k.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dude at work had one leak at 44k. Usually they seep (sp?). Additionally, some of the OEM Toyota pumps leak where the spout from the water pump to the oil pump line due to poor fit of this spout into the pump. I had a new one fail almost immediately.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
got a note that my water pump was leaking!?!?!??!?! WTF? my radiator fluid has NEVER ever gone down in level. yet the toyota mechanic, in fact it was the master mechanic, stated that the water pump was leaking & needed to be replaced.

of course I did NOT authorize the replacement, seeing as I've never seen my fluid go low, in fact my resavior is still half way full.

May want to check it out man, he may not be pulling your leg. I just changed my timing belt last weekend at 97000 miles. I had all the parts to do it right while I was in there and I'm glad I did. When I tore it appart low and behold, my water pump was leaking also. It was a small leak, never enough to puddle water onto anything but leaking all the same. Had a nice little corrosion trail from the passanger side of the pump all the way down and around the crank shaft pulley. I've had the truck since 35000 miles and only added maybe 2 cups of water to it the entire time. Just an FYI but I had NO idea it was leaking until I got in there.

Mike

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Also, I noticed that the new pump has a different mounting surface. The old one had a groove all the way around it that looked like was installed with some kind of RTV. The new one (Factory Toyota Parts) had a flat mating surface and came with a large metal gasket that had what looked to be a rubber O-ring and a soft compound around that, to seal the water pump to the engine block. This required NO silicone to be needed when installing it. So maybe Toyota has realized a bad design and redid it?

Mike

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Also, I noticed that the new pump has a different mounting surface. The old one had a groove all the way around it that looked like was installed with some kind of RTV. The new one (Factory Toyota Parts) had a flat mating surface and came with a large metal gasket that had what looked to be a rubber O-ring and a soft compound around that, to seal the water pump to the engine block. This required NO silicone to be needed when installing it. So maybe Toyota has relized a bad design and redid it?

Mike
exactly

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Here's my experience: I had my Timing belt changed by the dealer back in '01. I was broke, and luckily only had money to get the belt done. They called saying that the pump was leaking and should be replaced. I didn't have the money, so I said just put it back together. That was 6 years, and probably 50K ago, I'm about due for another T-Belt change, This one I'll do myself, and change the pump too.

I'm pretty sure they all seep a little bit, My coolant has never dropped, and was always nice and clean so I didn't worry about it. Now there are many other people here that have had problems with them, but I have not.

Steve

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is good to know. I have never noticed any drop in coolant level as well. knock on wood.

but does any1 know the PART NUMBER of the new & improved water pump?

Here's my experience: I had my Timing belt changed by the dealer back in '01. I was broke, and luckily only had money to get the belt done. They called saying that the pump was leaking and should be replaced. I didn't have the money, so I said just put it back together. That was 6 years, and probably 50K ago, I'm about due for another T-Belt change, This one I'll do myself, and change the pump too.

I'm pretty sure they all seep a little bit, My coolant has never dropped, and was always nice and clean so I didn't worry about it. Now there are many other people here that have had problems with them, but I have not.

Steve

·
Registered
532 Posts

if he didnt show you where it was leaking did you at least check yourself? best way to figure out if your getting ripped or not is to actually check and see if something is wrong. usually, a good tech at a good dealer, will come tell you something is wrong, walk you out into the shop to physically show it to you, and explain what the deal is. if not, you can always ask to be shown and explained to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts