TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 2.7 and I have had heater problems lately, I checked the hoses going to the heater core and one was col and one was hot, I also have the problem of losing water after a day or so of driving. would a clogged heater core valve eventually make me over heat.... I amon my second thermo and the upper hose gets hot lower does not and dont remember seeing water flow past the cap area of the radiator. P.S did a search and didnt exactly find what I was looking for, and also upper radiator hose is bad but not collapsed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
burnowt00 said:
I have a 95 2.7 and I have had heater problems lately, I checked the hoses going to the heater core and one was col and one was hot, I also have the problem of losing water after a day or so of driving. would a clogged heater core valve eventually make me over heat.... I amon my second thermo and the upper hose gets hot lower does not and dont remember seeing water flow past the cap area of the radiator. P.S did a search and didnt exactly find what I was looking for, and also upper radiator hose is bad but not collapsed.
Are you sure your not very low on fluid or have lots of air in the radiator? If you dont see fluid when you take off the radiator cap then its low. If it gets low enough youll only get cool air from your heater.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
When the vehicle cools down it creates a vacuum and pulls the excess coolant in to the overflow, just as it's designed to do.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Then you are losing it somewhere, or it's getting hot and boiling out. If you have swapped the t-stat as you said I would take a close look at the radiator, there is no reason the upper hose is hot and the lower is cool if the water is circulating in the rad. Look at the water pump for signs of a coolant leak as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
burnowt00 said:
but it doesnt put it back and I am putting more water in it every other day.
I had that happen when I tried the Throttle Body Bypass, the line going to the manifold- I forgot to put a clamp on it after bypassing the TB and it was steaming-misting out the back of the motor so I never noticed it, but after about 3 days it needed more. Did you say its overheating, I assume it has to if its loosing coolant. make sure your fan is operating correctly and fan clutch, also a electic fan mod thats not working correct could cause the overheating.

Have you completely burped the coolant system? Start it with the radiator cap off, keep adding coolant and or water until it is at the top. then continue to let it idle and add coolant if it goes down, once the dash gauge temp needle is at normal operating temp, the thermostat should be open and the idle should kick down to normal at this point if your not getting bubbles and the water level is full put the cap back on, then top off the overflow tank and make sure the cap is tight.

If you are low again after this procedure then you know its leaking out somewhere.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'm no pro but based on shit I went through with my old 3.0 I would run it with the radiator cap off like above said and make sure you aren't pushing it out the radiator while it is running as in a bad head gasket or something just to make sure.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
TacoCrazy said:
When the vehicle cools down it creates a vacuum and pulls the excess coolant in to the overflow, just as it's designed to do.
You mean OUT of the overflow don't you?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did run it the other day with cap off and the water does pulsate out of the radiator but I did check my oil and no water in there. It doesnt overheat as long as I keep recirculating the water from the overflow back into the engeine. I could swear I have checked every damn hose and shit. and the heater is coming out luke warm, but if I shut off the heater for a bit and turn it back on it is hot for a minute before going back to luke warm.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so I went and got a new cap today, seems to be doing alright and I did take it to the shop yeterday and them pressure test the cooling system and they said I am holding pressure, That get rid of the blown head gasket or craked head theory right?
And at what time does the engine suck back in the coolant from the overflow? And that damn heater is still not blowing hot like it used.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
burnowt00 said:
And at what time does the engine suck back in the coolant from the overflow?
As the engine is cooling down.

·
Registered
332 Posts
might have a bad heater core.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
mt_goat said:
You mean OUT of the overflow don't you?
Yes, damn Jack Daniels.. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Weird Heater Issues..

Yeah,
It sounds like the heater core is bad/plugged. If coolant hasn't been changed in a while try purging it in reverse flow with some pressure to unclog core, then add clean coolant. That should help for heat issues as long as the water pump is working correctly and system pressure is good. As far as the coolant levels being messed up after driving and parking.. I would guess a pressure issue with the 1) coolant cap 2) leaky head gasket or 3) jacked up heater core bypass valve. You said pressure in radiator was good, however no heat or a funny 'sweet' smell when at operating temp. would indicate case 2 or 3 above.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Pressure test was done, cap replaced the other day, checked heater core bypass valve. all seems to be good will try a flush this weekend if it ever quits snowing in denver. Oh and ran truck with heater on high and cap off just to make sure. didnt help, every time I hit the rhrottle it spit at me like emily rose even when the thermo hadnt opened yet. is it supposed to do that? And pressure test would cancel out a head gasket or cracked head right? And my upper radiator hose is bad but not collasped, could that be the problem?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally took the truck back into the shop and they did a more extensive search and it is was my head gasket. apperently the way it blew it was pressurizing my radiator but no water was getting into the oil, Oh well could have been worse.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Bummer dude, but thanks for the update.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
mt_goat
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing