TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i on my way to purchase 2 JL 6w0 subs for my new box , but figure out that the 6w0 cames in 3 different configuration 4 ohm, 8 and 12 ohm and i dont know what its mean. any help would be good. i have the rockford fostage 501s punch amplifier.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The ohms is the resistance of the speaker. Most speakers for car applications are 4 ohm. House speakers are 8 ohm. Most car amplifiers accept a 4 ohm load (some lower). However, if you have 2 or more speakers, there are different wiring diagrams to change the total resistance (for example 2 8 ohm speakers can be made to a total 4 ohm load). IMO, for a truck, go for the 4 ohm woofers. HOpe htis helps a bit

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is your amp 2 ohm or 1 ohm if its 2 ohm then u will need a 4 ohm duel voice coil sub then u cross over your sub so run the wires from positive to positive negative to negative on ur sub, then poitive to positive and negitive to negitive from ur sub to the amp, so you will be pulling a 2 ohm load off the amp and giving ur sub the required power. hope that helps, so get the 4 ohm sub

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
TACOSURF said:
i on my way to purchase 2 JL 6w0 subs for my new box , but figure out that the 6w0 cames in 3 different configuration 4 ohm, 8 and 12 ohm and i dont know what its mean. any help would be good. i have the rockford fostage 501s punch amplifier.
125 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
250 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms in bridged mode

You could go either a single 4 ohm sub, pair of 8ohm subs, or a trio of 12 ohm subs. They would all give you a 4ohm load, and it would help keep the amp's temperature down and would still provide plenty of juice. Are you sure you want a 6w0 with that kind of power?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.