TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the front diff, I need a 10mm and 12mm Hex, correct? Can anyone verify this is the same on a tundra?

What is the socket size needed for the rear diff bolts? 24mm?

Also anyone know the fluid capicity for the tundra (4x4, LSD) front and rear diffs? I know the rear diff says LSD oil only, what's the deal with that?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
04robbie said:
I know on my 04 all I needed was a 10mm hex for the front and a 24mm for the tranny, t-case, and rear diff.

I don't know about the tundra.
thanks

Anyone else know about the tundra... The "help" at toyota parts desk had no idea, and the service department was too busy to care.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
atwinda said:
Ok, so the front diff, I need a 10mm and 12mm Hex, correct? Can anyone verify this is the same on a tundra?

What is the socket size needed for the rear diff bolts? 24mm?

Also anyone know the fluid capicity for the tundra (4x4, LSD) front and rear diffs? I know the rear diff says LSD oil only, what's the deal with that?

Thanks.

All the fluid capacity specs are in the back of the owners manual

·
Registered
237 Posts
My 4Runnner needs a 10 & 12mm Allens up front and a 24mm for the rear and t-case. I highly recommend using a proper 6-sided socket to get a good purchase on the 24mm plugs, otherwise they can strip easy and then you are screwed. The '89 4runner we recently got had badly stripped plugs that a 12-sided socket could not get a bite on. I took a 6-sided Snap On socket that I ground the end completely flush as to get an even better bite on such a shallow bolt head, and that worked perfectly. One of them was too badly stripped though so I had to Dremel it to a smaller size and then I hammered on an American socket and it popped off clean.

As far as capacities, it isn't very much in either diff. You just get a gallon or two of gear oil and one of those screw-on pumps and then after draining it you install the drain plug and fill until fluid overflows from the fill hole. I think it's not much more than a quart or two in each diff and then a few quarts in the t-case. Manual trannys take about 5 or 6 quarts if I remember correctly but they also fill until overflowing so I've never bothered to remember the actual capacity since it doesn't really matter. I usually buy a case of redline (12qts I believe) and that is plenty for a long time.

You do need to use Redline or any other special LSD gear oil if you have an ARB or a limited slip. Otherwise any house brand 90wt gear oil will work fine.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
SEAN_at_TLT said:
I highly recommend using a proper 6-sided socket to get a good purchase on the 24mm plugs, otherwise they can strip easy and then you are screwed. The '89 4runner we recently got had badly stripped plugs that a 12-sided socket could not get a bite on. I took a 6-sided Snap On socket that I ground the end completely flush as to get an even better bite on such a shallow bolt head, and that worked perfectly. One of them was too badly stripped though so I had to Dremel it to a smaller size and then I hammered on an American socket and it popped off clean.
Another good tip.. always remove the fill plug first...just in case.

Thanks for the info the snap socket. The only 24mm 6 pt socket craftsman makes is an impact socket. Upon closer inspection of that impact socket, it seemed like there was more room for the nut to move, thats why I just got a 24mm 12 pt even though my entire socket set is all 6 pt. I'll get the 6 pt snap on next time.

But...the drain and fill plugs on diffs are not suppose to be very tight in the first place ~38 ft/lbs. The tightest fitting one is the front drain plug I belive the torque spec is like 50 ft/lbs. Of course that's assuming that your bolts aren't siezed or the dealership didn't tighten them like a mofo. Also dont forget the crush washers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts