TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some really odd problems with my 99 trd taco. Quite a while ago my diff started whining, everythng was working fine but the problem was diagnosed as a problem inside the 3rd. I purchased a used low mile 3rd and installed it.
Now I had no power at the rear wheels, the drive shaft is spining, the ring gear is spining (looked through the fill plug hole) but wheels are not.
I brought the truck inot the shop I am working at and they were able to get one of the tires spinning by screwing with the locker. But the locker still doesn't work and the diff is working like the locker is engaged but one of the axles is broken. it will only spin the drivers side tire regardless of how high in the air the passenger tire is. I'm not hearing any odd noises or anything, I'm pretty stumped as of right now. anyone have any ideas what to look for when I take the diff back out? or is there anything else I can do without having to remove the diff? thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I'm having some really odd problems with my 99 trd taco. Quite a while ago my diff started whining, everythng was working fine but the problem was diagnosed as a problem inside the 3rd. I purchased a used low mile 3rd and installed it.
Now I had no power at the rear wheels, the drive shaft is spining, the ring gear is spining (looked through the fill plug hole) but wheels are not.
I brought the truck inot the shop I am working at and they were able to get one of the tires spinning by screwing with the locker. But the locker still doesn't work and the diff is working like the locker is engaged but one of the axles is broken. it will only spin the drivers side tire regardless of how high in the air the passenger tire is. I'm not hearing any odd noises or anything, I'm pretty stumped as of right now. anyone have any ideas what to look for when I take the diff back out? or is there anything else I can do without having to remove the diff? thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.
you may have snapped off the axle end at the diff. This happened to Dick last year.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Pull your axles and make sure all of the shaft is there. You might have the splined end that engages the diff snapped off like hytenor suggested. If they look fine then I would pull the 3rd and look at it closer.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Pull your axles and make sure all of the shaft is there. You might have the splined end that engages the diff snapped off like hytenor suggested. If they look fine then I would pull the 3rd and look at it closer.
Take a look at carnage of the month for what they are talking about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts