TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time post here, and I’m genuinely curious. Will removing my front diff make my truck (1st gen) rwd? I’m wondering if the front suspension is different at all, minus the hubs, of course. I know it’d be cheaper to trade, if anyone had a 2wd near me, I would have.
Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can remove all of the front drive equipment (CV Axles, front differential and drive shaft) and then you would essentially have a Pre-Runner truck. Up to you whether or not you want to leave the transfer case there.

Scuba is right, and yes, it would be 2wd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I know the spindles are the same between the 2wd and 4wd, could I put in 5 lug hubs? Or would I need to do something else?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 5lug spindles are different and won't work. You need the Prerunner spindles and hubs if you plan to convert to 2WD.
Didn't one of the Norcal guys(I want to say oppositeboy?) remove one or both of his 4WD axles after a breakage? If I recall- the Hub started coming apart some time later down the road?

·
Administrator
18,281 Posts
Didn't one of the Norcal guys(I want to say oppositeboy?) remove one or both of his 4WD axles after a breakage? If I recall- the Hub started coming apart some time later down the road?
Yup. The ADD hubs need the axle shafts bolted in place to hold the bearing together. So the OP needs to get Prerunner spindles before he performs the swap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See my post above. 5lug spindles won't work. The 5lug front suspension is vastly different and not interchangeable. You need Prerunner parts.
So, not even with control arms and the whole suspension out from there, I couldn’t swap that into the 4wd frame? Are they mounted differently?

·
Administrator
18,281 Posts
So, not even with control arms and the whole suspension out from there, I couldn’t swap that into the 4wd frame? Are they mounted differently?
Yes, it is different mounts and geometry. You could make it happen by cutting and installing new mounts, but why go that route when Prerunner parts are easy to get? I don't know your goals with this project, but from my prospective, you are taking the most difficult route possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it is different mounts and geometry. You could make it happen by cutting and installing new mounts, but why go that route when Prerunner parts are easy to get? I don't know your goals with this project, but from my prospective, you are taking the most difficult route possible.
Basically, it’s a rock and a hard place type deal, no one has a 2wd for sale around me, and I needed a truck, so I bought a 4x4 hoping to sell off the 4x4 components and convert it to the mini, basically. I haven’t done anything in the way of conversion just yet because I want to know what I’m getting into if I continue with this. I’m very grateful to have gotten these responses, though, so thank you for playing my game of 20 questions, haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts