TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm told that the left and right cylinder bank of a 3.4 V6 uses different plugs. I'm curious as to why this is? This makes absolutely no sense to me and sounds like a poor design.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
it may be dumb but it doesnt matter. the factory uses different plugs but they are the same size. if you are replacing just buy some ngk's or whatever they are for all 6.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Don't buy different plugs, thats just a pain in the ass. Get some NGK iridiums or denso's and screw em in. You won't see a difference.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
97TacoDude said:
I'm told that the left and right cylinder bank of a 3.4 V6 uses different plugs. I'm curious as to why this is? This makes absolutely no sense to me and sounds like a poor design.
On the old board someone once posted an answer they'd received from Toyota on the reason for this. Dont remember the full post, the main reason behind the difference was credited to the ECM computer and emissions readings from the factory.

Tim

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got OEM plugs from the dealer and they were all dual prong Densos. The plugs I took out were all dual prong NGK's and could have been the originals.

100 Posts
I had 7th installed a few days ago and replaced original plugs with Denso Iridium. ALL the original plugs that came out of '02 Tacoma were the same, Denso K16TR11. That was for 3.4 engine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
97TacoDude said:

My Toyota factory manuals say to replace the plugs with either Denso K16TR11 or NGK BKR5EKB-11 on the 3.4 and says nothing about using one type on a specific side.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey....first post.

I was told that at the factory, there could be different plugs on either side of the assembly line. If you have different plugs on either side, it happens to be what that assembler had on hand to install but they were all the same basic plug anyway. As long as you replace the old plugs with dual prongs, everything should be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts