TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

I have a 2001 Tacoma 2.7 / 5m with 73,000 miles.
I would like to change the differential gear lube.
Can anybody suggest a good brand?
Are there different types of gear lube?
We drive 50 miles a day @ 80mph.

:confused:

Thanks in Advance,

Rick
Harrison, Ohio

·
Registered
947 Posts
I use the Mobile 1 syn 75-90W in both diffs, and transfer case. I have 100K on mine and have been using it since new. Always looks good at changes. Not too expensive and everyone has it. There are many options, just search.

·
Banned
722 Posts
Mobil 1 is probably the most expensive common brand you'll find in most parts stores. Royal purple and and some others might be pricier but are harder to find. I will have Mobil 1 up front in 75W90 and Valvoline semi-synthetic in the rear b/c it's the only one we carried in the specified weight that wasn't just dyno juice (Front and rear are different on Tacomas). In the long run synthetics are probably the best but as long as you keep it clean and change it at regular intervals I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Rebuilt98 said:
I will have Mobil 1 up front in 75W90 and Valvoline semi-synthetic in the rear b/c it's the only one we carried in the specified weight that wasn't just dyno juice (Front and rear are different on Tacomas).
Elaborate, please.

·
Banned
722 Posts
Specifications list the rear as one weight and the front as another for my truck. Maybe it's an ADD thing, not sure. the "will" means that right now I have dyno juice up front b/c I just got my diff. back from PORC after about a 3 month delay and I'm letting the gears break in using dyno juice. What don't you understand?

·
Registered
59 Posts
AK98Taco said:
Elaborate, please.
I just went through this myself.

Toyota specifies 75-90W for front diff and xfer case and straight 90W for the rear diff. I know most people say to put 75-90W in all three, but I assume Toyota specifies something different for the rear for a reason.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
The most cost effective- got to the auto parts store and buy a 5 gal bucket of 75-90 gear oil & pump- This will take care of your truck & other vehicles in the family.

I try to keep a 15-30 k interval if possible.
I also use the stuff to break in gear related work or to flush our diffs before going to synth.

When not using the house label 5-gal bucket...I use Redline synthetic gear lube.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
I don't not understand anything, I just want an actual reason for using different fluid front and rear.

Dealerships use 90 weight all the way around.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dealerships use 90 weight all the way around.[/QUOTE]

Where do you find the straight 90w at?Only 90w I've seen at the auto parts store was like $12-$14 per quart..Dealerships I've delt with just used 75w 90 all around..

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
jhunter said:
I use the Mobile 1 syn 75-90W in both diffs, and transfer case. Not too expensive and everyone has it. There are many options, just search.
X2

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm running royal purple in the motor, both diffs, trans, and transfer case... It shifts noticeably "rougher" I'm going back to a conventional lube in the trans. When I did some research it could be "too slippery" for the synchros.... Shifting is now notchy and not as smooth into each gear as it used to be.

·
Banned
722 Posts
AK98Taco said:
I don't not understand anything, I just want an actual reason for using different fluid front and rear.

Dealerships use 90 weight all the way around.
Dunno, my repair manual lists 80/90 rear and 75/90 front or something like that. Don't have it w/ me right now. So that's what I put in it.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
tacoma2k said:
Where do you find the straight 90w at?Only 90w I've seen at the auto parts store was like $12-$14 per quart..Dealerships I've delt with just used 75w 90 all around..
I don't know. The drum at my home Toy dealership said "Valvoline 90 weight/GL-5 lubricant".

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Mine calls for 80W-90 out back if living in a Cold Climate and straight 90 if you live in a Warm Climate. I have 75W-90 in everything except the rear in which I have the 80W-90.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Rebuilt98 said:
Dunno, my repair manual lists 80/90 rear and 75/90 front or something like that. Don't have it w/ me right now. So that's what I put in it.
Sounds fine. I've only ever done 75-90 front and rear and in the t-case/tranny, but it's mainly out of convenience.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
AK98Taco said:
Sounds fine. I've only ever done 75-90 front and rear and in the t-case/tranny, but it's mainly out of convenience.
I got pissed each time I wanted to change my Fluids as I wanted to stay with 1 Brand, went with Amsoil 1 time as I could get 80W-90 and this last time I just went with plain old Valvoline because it was all I could find that had both 75 and 80.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
jhunter said:
I use the Mobile 1 syn 75-90W in both diffs, and transfer case. I have 100K on mine and have been using it since new. Always looks good at changes. Not too expensive and everyone has it. There are many options, just search.

x2 on the mobile 1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts