TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey..I've got a 95 T100 automatic 3.4l 4wd and I need to know if my rear diff has 2 or 4 spider gears in it?!?!?I'm replacing the pinion seal and I need to know to set the preload! thanks for all the HELP.....

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is close and has a lot of info....but I still can't seem to find if my truck has 2 or 4 spider gears in the rear diff?!?:eek: thanks ...anyother suggestions? or guesses?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my code is C/TR 045/FF13. A/TM A10a/A340F I think I figured it out though its a 2 spider gear...

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
I need to know if my rear diff has 2 or 4 spider gears in it?!?!?I'm replacing the pinion seal and I need to know to set the preload! thanks for all the HELP.....

Why would the spider gear design make a difference when setting pinion preload?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would the spider gear design make a difference when setting pinion preload?
I'm not to sure...I've never replaced a pinion seal and I am using the Chilton repair manual to repair/replace my leaking pinion seal and Chilton says in step 8 of To Install: "Check the drive pinion preload with a torgue wrench. For Pick-Ups and 4Runners, correct torque is 8-11 inch lbs.(0.9-1.2 Nm) for 2-Spider gear differentials and 4-7 inch lbs. (0.4-0.8Nm) for 4-Spider gear units. Land Cruisers should be between 6-9 inch lbs.(0.6-1.0Nm)"
thanks again

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
I'm not to sure...I've never replaced a pinion seal and I am using the Chilton repair manual to repair/replace my leaking pinion seal and Chilton says in step 8 of To Install: "Check the drive pinion preload with a torgue wrench. For Pick-Ups and 4Runners, correct torque is 8-11 inch lbs.(0.9-1.2 Nm) for 2-Spider gear differentials and 4-7 inch lbs. (0.4-0.8Nm) for 4-Spider gear units. Land Cruisers should be between 6-9 inch lbs.(0.6-1.0Nm)"
thanks again
I don't even waste my time with Haynes or Chiltons anymore

The 4wd Tacoma/T100 rear diff is a 2 pinion spider gear design-
According to my Toyota FSM- 1999 Spec for the rear diff is 5.7-8.3 in*lb
A T100 rear should be the same
In your case - You should measure the the Pinion Preload before tearing things apart to get the current pre-load. Use this as a reference as well

How are you planning to measure preload? Were you planning to replace the crush sleeve as well?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't even waste my time with Haynes or Chiltons anymore

The 4wd Tacoma/T100 rear diff is a 2 pinion spider gear design-
According to my Toyota FSM- 1999 Spec for the rear diff is 5.7-8.3 in*lb
A T100 rear should be the same
In your case - You should measure the the Pinion Preload before tearing things apart to get the current pre-load. Use this as a reference as well

How are you planning to measure preload? Were you planning to replace the crush sleeve as well?
I'm going to measure the preload with an inch lbs torque wrench and what do u mean by the crush sleeve??

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
I'm going to measure the preload with an inch lbs torque wrench and what do u mean by the crush sleeve??
Not sure on the success rate of simply changing just the oil seal-
Once you remove the staked nut- their is chance of further deformation of the crush sleeve when you put things back. I always keep spare crush sleeves on hand- However- Now you have the opportunity to use a sloid spacer for the Non-TRD/T100 Diff
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47748&highlight=solid+spacer+8.4

FSM Reference
http://www.deserted1.com/FSM/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/sa/rdfos/repl.pdf

According to the Toyota Factory Service manual - Once you remove the staked pinion flange nut & flange- They instruct to remove pne of the pinion bearings and install a new crush sleeve, reinstall the bearing , new oil seal etc.....

Edit- If its good enough for Zuk
- its good enough for me (for a Simple pinion seal change
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=794672&postcount=11

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
Usually A good rule of thumb: Mash the throttle on your impact gun till the pinion nut stops turning....Then go till it explodes.then upgrade!:rolleyes:
No really...most of the T-100's were 4:10 double spiders with the reinforced carrier caps like the Tundra/Sequioa

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right on...so i changed the pinion seal with everyones help and it went in great...i had to make a couple of tools but it all worked out....i also put in some extended diff breathers too...thanks for everyones help now i get to test it out at BR trip next weekend..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts