TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been posted before, but I'm looking for some info and/or recomendation. I'm looking at getting a good digital camera. I've always had crappy little point and shoot cameras and I'm ready to step it up. When it comes to digital cameras I'm a Newbie. I've been looking around (internet, stores, talking to friends) and so far I'm looking at a Nikon D40, Nikon D50, and Olympus EVOLT E-500. Any recomendations, advice, etc would be welcome.

·
Registered
978 Posts
if you can afford a Canon 5D. .....get it.

if that's too pricey, go for the 30D or 20D. ....they are amazing cameras

·
Registered
106 Posts
Canon Powershot

I picked up a Powershot S3 IS and have been very happy with it. I think it takes good pics, but after 2 months I still don't understand all the features.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
How serious do you want to get? The Nikon D50 has a high potiental, but takes a bit of learning to really get better than average pictures from it. But once you do, it will not limit you- it's a full featured SLR camera in very way. I haven't read enough about the D40 (as it was just releaseed) to know it's specs- but sounds like they took the d50 and "let the computer control a bit more". So the D50 gets my vote. I have one with the "kit" 18-55mm lens and absolutely love it. But if you're serious about it, the sony cybershots, canon powershots, etc just won't do.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
the d70 is still an amazing camera. it really only had one major advantage over the d50 (and I would assume the d40)- the d70's raw format is a true raw format, whereas the d50 "compresses" the raw color information before it's saved.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
Recently picked up a Nikon D50 w/ the 18-55mm lens-
I am very pleased with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts