TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Happy, Happy, Happy
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a digital camera for the wife. we are expecting our first baby in July so she wants a good digital camera for Christmas. Im torn between a small pocket sized one and one of the larger cameras (like the size of a 35mm camera) what are the pros and cons of each and what is a good camera in the 300-500 range? Thanks

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Let me tell ya, you can't go wrong giving a digital camera to a woman! I have found they prize portability more than anything, as they'll carry it with them constantly. The most important thing is to have the camera there when one of those moments happens, and that's most likely with a small, superportable model. Picture quality might not be as good technically as an SLR, but my Canon Powershot A610 takes PHENOMENAL photos. Check out www.dpreview.com for some great, unbiased comparison tests.

·
Registered
517 Posts
ive been trying to look for one also, from what ive seen the best bang for the buck option and for just family pics and such the camera printer bundle packs from hp and kodak seem nice, only around $175 for a decent camera, printer, paper, and i think maybe a memory card :2cents:

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
i'd stay away from those personal photo printers. There are absolute tons of places (wal greens, cvs, rite aid, target, etc etc etc) that will print out photos from your memory card for around ~.29 a print, and they're fast too. no messing with photo paper or ink.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
check out costco, they have some good cameras, and way cheaper than normal price

·
Registered
26 Posts
canon sd550 is the great 7.2mp camera that I got last christmas for about 5 bills and now that camera is going for $300 at costco.

·
Wheeler Wannabe
1,306 Posts
What does she want to do with it? Photography as a hobby or just recreational shooting at family gatherings, events, etc? A DSLR isn't ideal for carrying to parties or going places to just take everyday photos of family and friends. Plus all of the manual controls, and features aren't really necessary if she just wants a point an shoot. Like Redrunner said, the Canon A610 is a great camera (I own one). Stick with Canon and Nikon as they seem to have the best lens quality, which when it comes down to it an all things equal, lens quality plays a huge role in picture quality. Plus the A610 is fairly compact so it can be carried in a purse and taken out and just turned on and start shooting. A DSLR is going to cost more, but if she is serious about it, it's the better choice.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I got my wife one of those Casio credit card sized cameras so she could keep it in her purse and always have it handy. She still likes it and carries it all the time. Later on, I also got her a larger pro-sumer Canon PowerShot for occasions where she wanted to take a really great picture. For what you want I think a small one for now would be a big hit. I would think that having it at hand and ready to catch what ever is going on is the most important thing for her right now. You're not about to get one of the Digital SLRs for anywhere near that price anyway.
Someday in the not too distant future, when they get up to about 4 Mega pixels or so, cell phones will have a decent enough camera that they will replace the need for the small credit card sized ones that I'm talking about.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have a Canon SD400 and I love it. I just bought my GF a Canon SD630 for Christmas. My next camera will be a Canon SLR. You can't really go wrong with a Canon.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
Vince
I currently have a Nikon D50 & Canon S50
Hang has a Canon S500 (replacement since I lost her Canon S330)

For the Wife- I'd highly recommend any of the Canon Powershot SD series (Compact- metal body)
I know Hang prefers prefers portability & compact size in a camera

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Be sure to test the camera in lower light conditions in store if possible; you'd be surprised how many point and shoot AF cameras are completely useless under household lighting conditions. And there's nothing more infuriating than lacking manual focus when the AF gets confused, and your baby has just figured out how to do your taxes in the Jolly Jumper.

My Optio Wpi now lives in my back pack for use in muddy/wet conditions for the reasons mentioned above.

Second the Canon SD series for a decent point and shoot camera.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Remember standard batteries. If the camera has it won proprietary battery, you’ll have to recharge and deal with that. The slightly larger Canon A series cameras use AA batteries and you can use rechargables, but when all else goes wrong, they have the batteries at 7/11 so you’re never without. Easy to use cameras that are pretty rugged and easy to use while still fitting in your pocket. An A630 8 Meg is about $250.00.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Spacecwboy said:
looking for a digital camera for the wife. we are expecting our first baby in July so she wants a good digital camera for Christmas. Im torn between a small pocket sized one and one of the larger cameras (like the size of a 35mm camera) what are the pros and cons of each and what is a good camera in the 300-500 range? Thanks
With a baby on the way, photography will definitely turn into a hobby for the wife. Trust me, I know as we have a 10 month old. :D Plus, it's turning into a hobby for me too. We have a Nikon Coolpix XXXX (not sure of the model number), and we just stepped up to a D80. We love the camera, and I don't find it a hassle dragging it to parties and such. It's very advanced, but one of us is going to take a photography class, and then teach the other. However, I've been reading lots of stuff on the net and learning on my own. My suggestion would be to spend a little more cash on a Nikon D50 and a good lens. It's a great camera.

·
Registered
591 Posts
DennisDawg said:
If the camera has it won proprietary battery, you’ll have to recharge and deal with that.
I've bought 4 more batteries for my Canon SD400 on ebay for less that 16 for all 4. It's gonna take a lot for me to run out of battery.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i've got a canon elf 550 and a canon 30d. .....i have no complaints about either of them. if i had it to do over again, i'd get the same ones.

·
Registered
149 Posts
atwinda said:
i'd stay away from those personal photo printers. There are absolute tons of places (wal greens, cvs, rite aid, target, etc etc etc) that will print out photos from your memory card for around ~.29 a print, and they're fast too. no messing with photo paper or ink.
The cheapest I've found is Costco.....17 cents a primt

1 - 20 of 24 Posts