TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get into dirt biking next summer. Mainly just trail riding.
Biggest ive ridden is a yz125 up at lefthand. What would you guys recommend as a starter? Thinking a 250?
Trying to keep it under 2k.
Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I've always really liked the Honda XR line. I personally ride a highly modified 200. They are tough as nails, require very basic maintenance, and will run forever. Not to mention they are not "scary" to ride like some bikes. They are very friendly to a beginner rider, but still work great as you progress. I've been on a dirt bike just about since I was old enough to walk, but I still love my XR, even though its not the fastest or the baddest bike out there.

·
20,355 Posts
I would suggest going fourstroke. for your price range you will be looking used. i love KTMs, but they are pricey. XR's as stated above are great and bullet proof. if you are not in need of a ton of power an old suzuki dr 350 is a great very forgiving and reliable bike as well.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
You can't go wrong with a KTM or a Honda. Like Ike mentioned go 4 stroke even if you have to wait a little longer and pay a little more.

You may want to consider a Dual Sport as well. Suzuki DR or Kawasaki KLX

Greely has a great day camp for riders who are just getting back into it or n00bs as well.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dual Sport (street legal bike), is OK if you want to plate it and ride on the pavement some. I've learned first hand that the best way to go would be to get a "dirt" bike and make it street legal. Bad thing is, they're making it tougher to plate dirt bikes now!!!!! A 250 would probably be fine for woods and trail riding. I think the 4-strokes would be a bit easier to ride (handle) in the woods. :2cents:

·
Registered
56 Posts
i have an 04 yz250 2 stroke that is street legal. this is kind of my first bike and i ride woods. The 2 stroke in the woods can def be LOTS of fun. The power of the 2 stroke is insane. I am probably going to sell it and get a KTM next year.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
How big are you?

If you are under 6' and 180lbs I would reccomend a 250 4 stroke. If you are taller or heavier you will feel cramped on a 250. Might as well just jump up to the 450...

Trust me I have had plenty of bikes, ranging from Pit bikes to full blown race supercross bikes.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I'd say start on the 250 and see how you like the power, you can change sprockets, exhaust, intake, etc to change the powerband. But the real upgrade is a 450 or 400. I'm at 6' so I fit on a 450 very well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts