TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After AZrocks i had some whining going on in the drivers side assembly and last night i started tearing into the drivers side to see whats up. I got the two spindle nuts off, the washer that squeezes between them, the outer ring, the snap ring, so at this point the disc brake assembly should slide off.. Well its not..i have beat the crap shit out of the rotor face to get it to slide off, pounded on the hub body...yadda yadda


so how do i get the disc brake assembly off to replace the bearings and most likely the spindle?

i thought about taking the steering knuckle off by just taking off the ball joint nuts and pounding that off the axle knuckle, but the axle shaft is still in there and i think that will interfere with the ball joints dropping down enough to get the whole knuckle assembly off.



any suggestions on how to get this disc brake assembly off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
YUNADERIS said:
After AZrocks i had some whining going on in the drivers side assembly and last night i started tearing into the drivers side to see whats up. I got the two spindle nuts off, the washer that squeezes between them, the outer ring, the snap ring, so at this point the disc brake assembly should slide off.. Well its not..i have beat the crap shit out of the rotor face to get it to slide off, pounded on the hub body...yadda yadda


so how do i get the disc brake assembly off to replace the bearings and most likely the spindle?

i thought about taking the steering knuckle off by just taking off the ball joint nuts and pounding that off the axle knuckle, but the axle shaft is still in there and i think that will interfere with the ball joints dropping down enough to get the whole knuckle assembly off.



any suggestions on how to get this disc brake assembly off?
is it the actual caliiper or is it the rotor? if its the rotor and its sticking th eonly thing i could think is the rear seal. have you tried prying using two pribars one on each side?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
YUNADERIS said:
what are you talking about?
i dont see how a seal would cause it stick on....prying doesnt work and hammering all sides doesnt work
the rotor is stuck in the position its normally in while driving...no caliper involved
the only thing that makes contact with the spindle snout when teh bearings are out is the seal.. think about that for a second.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,997 Posts
YUNADERIS said:
what are you talking about?
i dont see how a seal would cause it stick on....prying doesnt work and hammering all sides doesnt work
the rotor is stuck in the position its normally in while driving...no caliper involved
You got the spindle nuts off right? Can you get the outer bearing out? Sounds like the outer bearing is seized to the spindle somehow. The inner seal isn't going to prevent you from taking anything apart.

Later,
....Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is no seals in the way

this is whats happened

that bearing has come apart


the inner part of the bearing that rides on the spindle has seized itself to the spindle..the bearings and outer part of the bearing are turning fine...there is a little ring in the bearing that holds it all together..that turns fine...
i cant get that seized part off now...so i am hosed....the hub body is now semi oblong from me beating on it and i will need a new one....weeeeeeeeeee


i am hosed and the truck is now a carport ornament
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes spindle nuts are off..forgot to mention that


if this inner part of the bearing is seized on the spindle nut, there is no way to get the disc brake assembly off..there is something, the inner part of the bearing, stopping it from coming off....the only way i can think of is getting the inner part of the bearing off and how do you that? air chisel didnt work..ask me how i know :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
YUNADERIS said:
yes spindle nuts are off..forgot to mention that


if this inner part of the bearing is seized on the spindle nut, there is no way to get the disc brake assembly off..there is something, the inner part of the bearing, stopping it from coming off....the only way i can think of is getting the inner part of the bearing off and how do you that? air chisel didnt work..ask me how i know :)
OK, you didnt mention that asswhipe.. LOL

since its obvoius you gotta replace alot of parts now, get a torch out and try heating it all up... try not to overheat it though, ive seen rangers do the same thing (they use a snout system also) generally wahts happens is the nuts were not seated tight enough and the bearings inner ring was able to spin, create enough heat and eventually weld its self to the snout... your in for a fun ride to get it off...

Try heat first though..
 

·
Rock Vapor
Joined
·
170 Posts
You need a new hub right?

Get a thick piece of flat bar, drill and tap a hole in the center. Put the spindle nuts back on, but not all the way. Find the right dia tube to rest on the nuts, but short enuff to fit in the hub, but deep enuf so that it clears the axle shaft and cap it. Weld the flat bar on to the hub and use a long bolt threaded thru the flat bar to press that bugger off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
that sucks anthony. Since the hub body is fawked any how you could cut it off down by the studs to try and give yourself acsess to the inner bearing. If you have a torch you could use that otherwise I suggest the 4.5" angle gringer and a butt load of cutoff wheels, but a sawzall may work too. Once you get the hub off, hopefully you can get close enough into the bearing to somehow cut it off.
 

·
Rock Vapor
Joined
·
170 Posts
I meant the hub body since its already beat. Use it as a base to build a press set up. I wouldn't press against the axle shaft tho, that why you would need something else to use the spindle as a pressure point to seperate the assembly.

You'll get it off
 

·
Rock Vapor
Joined
·
170 Posts
You wouldn't need to clear the whole spindle dia, but enuff so that you could use the spindle nuts as a base to press against. If you go that way you might even want to use 3 or 4 spindle nuts to be sure you have a strong enough base
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
YUNADERIS said:
hey ted

i havent even got the hub body off....just the hub, spindle nuts, washer, snap ring, outer ring
so i cant even access the spindle nuts..if i was able to upload pics to this server i could show you....but the new board doesnt allow people to post pics

thanks for your help
anthony i see what hes saying, and it woudl work for you


Heres what you do
take a piece of 1/4" thick plate and drill it so like a 3/4 or 5/8 bolt will go threw it, it will cover the hub face (where your hub would cover normally, now tack a nut on the inside (so that when you put the bolt threw the plate it will contact your half shaft in there.. weld the 1/4 plate to teh hub body (so that you can pull it)

put the bolt in tighten down and it should break it loose, might take alot of force but itshould go.

Good Idea Ted
 

·
Rock Vapor
Joined
·
170 Posts
power of the press and the mig :welder:

just be sure that when you start kranking on that set up that you are standing off to the side and not sitting infront of it :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
TMS2U said:
power of the press and the mig :welder:

just be sure that when you start kranking on that set up that you are standing off to the side and not sitting infront of it :eek:
i dont think anything is going to shock load, and if he covers enough of the hub face then the worst that can happen is the bolt breaks in half, but thats what F9-11's are for LOL... i would be more worried about snapping hte bolt in half and landing face first on the axle LOL...
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top