TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a week ago my 3rz '95 Taco started running/idling extremely rough. Oddly it would act like it wasn't firing on all cylinders and struggling to keep highway speed, but then "wake-up" all of a sudden and pickup speed as I pressed the gas pedal down. After parking and trying new spark plug wires the truck wouldn't start at all, in fact it would act like it hit a stopping point while turning over. I endoscoped the cylinders, tried different ignition components, but eventually came to the realization that it had to of spun timing. Took the valve cover off and lined everything up, mechanically it appears to be in perfect time (no jump in chain etc). Took the cap back off and the rotar button is pointing at cylinder #3 while at TDC. Now I put a new disty in it back in may and I'm not bashing the vendor as they've already sent a new replacement unit, but I've never seen anything like this and was making sure there isn't anything else I haven't checked, or need to check that would cause this? I know some new distributors don't have keyways on the gear and seem to rely on a set screw, but I've never had this happen before. Appreciate any insight and feedback, attached pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've "heard" of it happening with other applications, but never seen it first hand. If this occurs again and the warranty expires I will make a hybrid with the original disty and the new points/etc. I had to replace it due to one of the coil wires making contact with the button after a tune up (my fault). We will see when I re-install new unit on Friday, but I guess add this to the list of things to double check lol I will update for any tech this might help with

1 - 3 of 3 Posts