TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, with my previous 2 tacoma's I would pay to have my oil changed so that I could have the papertrail of proof w/ oil changes. Basically, I wanted to cover myself in case I ever needed warranty work on the engine. I drove the crap out of those tacoma's, drove them very hard. Never had any problems. One of the taco's I kept long enough for the warranty to run out, then I started changing my own oil after that with Amsoil. I really enjoyed changing my own oil. My new truck, a 2007 tacoma has 1,300 miles. I am debating whether to follow the same routine as past or just start doing my own oil changes off the bat. So how does one document their do-it-yourself oil changes, do you keep receipts? Does the dealership require proof in case of warranty claims? Or do you guys just change the oil and not worry about warranty claims in the future? I still have gallons of amsoil, 10w30 and 5w30 and I stil have amsoil oil filters, that look smaller but according to the website the 3.4 oil filters fit the new 4.0 engines.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I know that when I took my truck in to get the tranny replaced (still there, waiting on parts) they asked for the booklet and said if it didn't have a "dealer stamp" on the oil change it wouldn't be covered. I said I lost the book, and also told them that the tranny wasn't due for service yet so it wouldn't matter. It's getting replaced, so it worked. I'm in Europe but the warranty is the same as stateside-

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
I write the mileage, type of oil used, and date on the flap lid of the oil filter box. Tear it off and keep them all together. However my truck is way out fo warranty but its easy to keep up with and hard to forget to record it when you're in the habit of writing the info on the filter box lid.

F- dealership proof. Some of those guys are clueless. Much worse is the oil changing "chain" stores. And the worst has to be Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Read the details in the warranty itself. I know mine said something about keeping records of the date, milage, and name of any parts put on the vehicle when any particular service is done, and that will suffice. Because, really, why should they trust what Midas does any more than what you do for their warranty? All Midas does that you can't is put a record of those same things on a piece of Midas carbon-copy paper!

-Radar

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas. I do feel more comfortable now, and I think I'll start my own oil changes. Now I'm going to look for a "fujimoto" (sp?) valve that I read about in another thread a while back. The valve replaces the oil drain plug and makes oil changes easier, so you don't have to screw it off and make a mess. I'm going to search for the threads. I remember only one person not being happy w/ the valve, saying it leaked. Anyone know if the stock toyota oil filter has something special that the others don't (I have leftover amsoil filters and oil I can use) since its mounted upside down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had my 2005 Tacoma in for warrenty work 5 timers so far and no one has ever asked me for any proof of anything other than asking for the milage on the odometer.
That goes for all the car I have owned (Tacomas included) in the last 20 years.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm using the little amsoil filter too, there is one size bigger but I don't know the part number.
The smaller ones that I have are SDF57. I know they came out with some new ones 'EaO' or something but I don't have any of those filters.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i personally wouldnt let the dealer change my oil (dont trust many people besides myself messin with my truck), but my mom gets her 4runner oil changed at the dealer and as long as she always takes it there, she gets a free set of new tires when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have always kept very detailed records and receipts of all my maintenence and mods. I have never had a warranty claim denied due to DIY. My kid has owned hampsters that were smarter than jiffy lube employees. Do it yourself.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Keep Records and receipts.

I've never heard of any manufacturer voiding the warrantee for DIY maintenance.

I'd be damned if they voided my warrantee for doing my own maintenance - I'd fight that BIG TIME.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Turn the dealer "time to take your money" light off!

To reset your 5K service light. With the truck off and key in ignition. 1st hold down the odometer button. Then turn the truck on while still holding down the "OD" button. Keep holding it down till you see a series of lines in the "OD" read out go though a little pattern. When the numbers pop back up you can release the button and bang ohhh! Your 5k service light is reset....:welder:
High school drop outs will never touch my oil drain plug or filter.:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Keep Records and receipts.

I've never heard of any manufacturer voiding the warrantee for DIY maintenance.

I'd be damned if they voided my warrantee for doing my own maintenance - I'd fight that BIG TIME.
I agree if you keep the records. I know a neighbor that drove home with his oil plug out from a shop monkey that forgot to put it in. His engine was clanking when he go home - 2 mile drive. I change my own oil and it is easy in the Tacoma ( and 4-Runner ) 6 cyl with that oil filter up top with a no mess drain cap. Great design toyota.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Spoke with service manager

I spoke with the service manager at Lake City Toyota in Seattle last weekend. He told me that a "detailed record" of service is sufficient for warranty work. No dealer stamp is necessary.

What does "detailed record" mean?- Mileage, date, work done, parts replaced, anything and everything that you think might be pertinent. I had the dealers do my first 3 oil changes, but I will do them myself from here on out. I think I will keep my receipts/ upc codes from all the fluids, oil filter, air filter, etc that I replace as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How do you get the filter out without getting oil all over the damn engine bay?

take out the plug under the truck and then let the oil drain. there is a small catch around the filter that has a drain plug at the bottom. some guys put a small rubber hose on the plug to drain out through. let it sit draining long enough and you shouldnt have too much of a mess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I worked at a Toyota dealer for 2.5 years and some of the oil changers I saw go through there were Idiots and scumbags, most of them come from getting in a hurry so they ain't giving away oil changes. I would hussle but when the service writers started ridein' me bad I'd just tell them, "it will be done when I'm finished."

the 4.0's are nice just get a tube and drop it through the skid plate and hook it up to the plug thing. brake cleaner get everything clean after an oil spill ;)

If I could only recommend on thing it would be to use a factory filter they really are good. at the dealer I worked for they had a display of a Toyota filter and a fram cut in half. the Toyota had twice as many pleats of filter media as the fram and they were deeper too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
While we are on the subject, how do I reset my service indicator? I change my own oil but havent figured out how to reset the light. i normally dont consider it worth the trouble to change my own oil but its so damn easy on the new tacoma I do it myself.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Here you go.

1. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position with the odometer reading shown (For details, see "Odometer and two trip meters" on page 143 in this Section.)

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter knob.

Hold the knob for at least 5 seconds. The odometer indicates "000000" and the light goes off.

If the system fails to reset, the light will continue flashing.

From http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=245

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.