TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 T100 5spd 4x4 exd cab. And it has 298,789 miles on the dial. I want to upgrade my power however I wonder if an engine swap is in order. I have thought of doing a Cummins 4BT and an Isuzu 4BD1-t swap both are able to install with some fab work however my budget is low. So I really can't afford to buy either engine. SO if i rebuild the 3.4 and supercharge it will it give me enough power to tow a three horse trailer? Or should I do the lexus V8 swap? I have done both supercharge the 3.4 and a Lexus swap but they were for customer cars and I really didnt get to drive either truck with a heavy trailer behind.

Tell me your thoughts guys?

·
Banned
4,181 Posts
5VZ-FE Specs :
Base Number of Cylinders: 6
Base Engine Size: 3.4 liters
Base Engine Type: V6
Horsepower: 183 hp
Max Horsepower: 4800 rpm
Torque: 217 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 3600 rpm

1UZ-(FE?) Specs:
Base Number of Cylinders: 8
Base Engine Size: 4 liters
Base Engine Type: V8
Horsepower: 290 hp
Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm
Torque: 300 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4000 rpm

So heres the thing I would say you need torque for towing but thats me, there are your specs compare and discuss away !

BTW this is a stock to stock comparison.

·
Registered
212 Posts
5VZ-FE Specs :
Base Number of Cylinders: 6
Base Engine Size: 3.4 liters
Base Engine Type: V6
Horsepower: 183 hp
Max Horsepower: 4800 rpm
Torque: 217 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 3600 rpm

1UZ-(FE?) Specs:
Base Number of Cylinders: 8
Base Engine Size: 4 liters
Base Engine Type: V8
Horsepower: 290 hp
Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm
Torque: 300 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4000 rpm

So heres the thing I would say you need torque for towing but thats me, there are your specs compare and discuss away !

BTW this is a stock to stock comparison.
It is the 1UZ-FE.

Your numbers are only slightly correct. Those numbers reflect a vvt-i lexus motor. the most common swap is the NON-vvt-i motor. the number are a bit different.

* 1989–1994: 256HP 260 tq
* 1995-1996: 261HP 267 tq
* 1997-2000(toyota crown 2002): 290 HP 300 tq(vvt-i motor)

the non vvt-i motors are a lot simpler to wire. That is the only real reason why they are more common. The vvt-i do boast more power, but are a bigger headache to install.

if you want info on the 1uz check this thread.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146920

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Over the years of reading stuff, I get the idea that the T-100 is basically an over-sized Tacoma-in terms of components-engine, tranny, axle, brakes. The trucks are wider and the frame may be a bit stronger. My Tacoma does not feel (or rather did not before the SAS and definitely not after) safe enough to tow a 3 horse trailer-my guess would be somewhere around 6-7000lbs loaded. The brakes are barely up to the task of the truck with 1000 lbs in it, yes you would have trailer brakes, but anybody that tows, knows that you should tow with the expectancy that the trailer brakes may fail. I realize that the '8.4' axle was used in the Tundra behind a V-8, and was used for towing, but if you plan on any serious amount of towing miles, this will wear quickly. Unless you get the motor and can do the swap for VERY CHEAP, you'd be able to find a 3/4 Ton truck for less & have the T-100 as well. This probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but I towed a two-horse behind a similar small-ish truck and it wasn't safe.

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts