TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
removed my TRD decals today and just ended up causing more work for myself. The left side came off fine, removed the adhesive and waxed. Done. However, I removed the right side and there is an extremely noticeable indentation where the decal was. I'm not talking about an outline. This is a 1/32" impression where the decal was. It almost looks like they applied the decal and then applied the clear coat. Would this be an appropriate situation to wetsand? It's already starting to chip around the decal outline and I need to stop it ASAP. Next question, how do you wetsand?:dunno: Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
"Next question, how do you wetsand?"Do your own wet sanding.
Wet sanding is simple just use wet dry sand paper and a little water. Keep adding water as the paper loads up or drys. Very fine grades for feathering out the clear coat and be careful not to get though the color coat. Once you have it feathered out, you'll have to shoot some clear coat on the area then let that dry and wetsand some more to even out the clear coat.
Painting is always a PITA, auto painting is even more of a PITA. Who started this shit anyway?

It's like lawn care in many respects; one of the dumber things we do in our society. First you plant grass so you can cut it, then fertilize and water it to make it grow more so you can cut it some more. You're either growing the shit or cutting it. The whole exercise seems somewhat pointless to me. I know who started that mess, it was those damned limeys.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn limeys. 2000grit?, 1500?, 1000? How is the clear coat applied? Rattle can? Spray gun? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
You can buy it in rattle can from Duplicolor. Probably start out with something aggresive around the edges like 600 and be very very careful then work your way up.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Sounds like that corner was in a acident...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, since I've bought this truck in nov and started working on it, I've found a lot of evidence that it was in a wreck. Is that common with collision repair body shops? What FD do you work for Norcal? Thanks for the help Dick.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Yeah, since I've bought this truck in nov and started working on it, I've found a lot of evidence that it was in a wreck. Is that common with collision repair body shops? What FD do you work for Norcal? Thanks for the help Dick.
Should be common. Usually they'll just tape over things and repaint. My old truck was a salvage title and they taped over the fender trims. White paint was sitll on it because as with any taping: it's never perfect...

I'm currently going to school. Just got out of high school last year, but I started college when I was in high shcool. I only have about a year left and I should have my AA.

I'm in a explorer post for the city of Fremont, and I'm actually testing with Stockton tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Should be common. Usually they'll just tape over things and repaint. My old truck was a salvage title and they taped over the fender trims. White paint was sitll on it because as with any taping: it's never perfect...

I'm currently going to school. Just got out of high school last year, but I started college when I was in high shcool. I only have about a year left and I should have my AA.

I'm in a explorer post for the city of Fremont, and I'm actually testing with Stockton tomorrow.
if that's how i painted i would be fired before lunch. masking some molding is ok in very few cases but never a decal that's just asking for a paint failure. if you mask it right and remove the parts you need to you get the paint where you want it.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
if that's how i painted i would be fired before lunch. masking some molding is ok in very few cases but never a decal that's just asking for a paint failure. if you mask it right and remove the parts you need to you get the paint where you want it.
Not sayin its the right way, but I see it a lot.

I've even seen them paint right over a sticker decal, because the other aftermrket fender didn't have it. You could see the outline of the decal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts