TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, i know they have sides, but do springs have a left or right designation?? i saw one member post about how NWOR says they did, but my OME 881's have no designation and Wheelers Off-Road just tells me that if one is taller put it on the drivers side.

my OME 881's are the same height, so what's the story with having a left & right spring? is it normal to put a few shims under shock tower mount to give a tad more preload to drivers side?

my taco is '02 4x4 xtra-cab 2.7L, do i need to worry about it?

thanks

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i remember reading about the spring having a side...and one member had to remove them and attach them untill he was able to find out which ones goes where... but they do...so you might have to install them twice...

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
cvajs said:
yes, i know they have sides, but do springs have a left or right designation?? i saw one member post about how NWOR says they did, but my OME 881's have no designation and Wheelers Off-Road just tells me that if one is taller put it on the drivers side.

my OME 881's are the same height, so what's the story with having a left & right spring? is it normal to put a few shims under shock tower mount to give a tad more preload to drivers side?

my taco is '02 4x4 xtra-cab 2.7L, do i need to worry about it?

thanks
Unlike OE and NWOR, OME does not make different size springs for right/left. that is why they sell the trim packers. to compensate for the Taco's driver side lean, one trim is suggested.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ordered the replacement stock springs from wheeler's and the one that is taller and more arched sits on the drivers side to compensate for the weight, (gas, battery, and you). It confused the heck out of me at the time but I installed them and the truck sits level and rides great.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hytenor said:
Unlike OE and NWOR, OME does not make different size springs for right/left. that is why they sell the trim packers. to compensate for the Taco's driver side lean, one trim is suggested.
have any links to the "trim pack" ???

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
augator said:
I ordered the replacement stock springs from wheeler's and the one that is taller and more arched sits on the drivers side to compensate for the weight, (gas, battery, and you). It confused the heck out of me at the time but I installed them and the truck sits level and rides great.
I ordered the same leafs from Wheeler's, installed the higher arched spring on the driver's side, and my truck is still 1/2" shorter on the driver's side. Kinda looks funny from the back... I wish there was an easy fix.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
cheez said:
I ordered the same leafs from Wheeler's, installed the higher arched spring on the driver's side, and my truck is still 1/2" shorter on the driver's side. Kinda looks funny from the back... I wish there was an easy fix.
just keep your gas tank 1/4 full all the time ;)

that is strange about the springs; you might give Wheeler's a call.

·
Registered
301 Posts
hytenor said:
just keep your gas tank 1/4 full all the time ;)

that is strange about the springs; you might give Wheeler's a call.
That's with the tank 1/4 full! Yeah, I plan on calling Wheeler's on Monday. Pre-lift the driver's side was about 1/2" lower and post-lift it's 1/2" lower. At least it's consistent! :)

I double and triple checked that I put the correct spring on the correct side. I did notice that Wheeler's invoice had the incorrect model # vs. left/right side. I even called them during the install to verify. The Deaver driver side spring was easily 1" taller than the passenger side so you'd think that would level it out.

I can't freakin' wait to test my Bridgestone Dueler M/T's out in the mud & snow tomorrow. I'll take pics.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
cheez said:
Have you tried cranking your driver's side CO up a little bit more? Drivers and batteries aren't lightweights either...

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
cheez said:
That's with the tank 1/4 full! Yeah, I plan on calling Wheeler's on Monday. Pre-lift the driver's side was about 1/2" lower and post-lift it's 1/2" lower. At least it's consistent! :)

I double and triple checked that I put the correct spring on the correct side. I did notice that Wheeler's invoice had the incorrect model # vs. left/right side. I even called them during the install to verify. The Deaver driver side spring was easily 1" taller than the passenger side so you'd think that would level it out.

I can't freakin' wait to test my Bridgestone Dueler M/T's out in the mud & snow tomorrow. I'll take pics.
Heck, just throw a 1/2" block back there ;)

have fun in the 'test phase' of your new stuff :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
mudferret said:
Have you tried cranking your driver's side CO up a little bit more? Drivers and batteries aren't lightweights either...
Well, the front sits exactly level. The rear driver's side sat just under 1/2" low before the lift and now it's sits just over a 1/2" low. I'll see what Wheeler's says on Monday.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hytenor said:
i got this from wheeler's
"OME does designate right or left. We advise you to compare the two and put the taller spring on the drivers side. This will help compensate for the fuel tank, battery, and driver."

but i asked them to verify this. my springs were same size so i ordered 1 trim.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
cvajs said:
i got this from wheeler's
"OME does designate right or left. We advise you to compare the two and put the taller spring on the drivers side. This will help compensate for the fuel tank, battery, and driver."

but i asked them to verify this. my springs were same size so i ordered 1 trim.
their information is incorrect. OME's REAR leaf pks are right/left but not any of their front coils. I'm surprised Wheeler's makes this goof as the info is readily available from several articles that have been published in the last couple of years as well as directly from ARB.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Old thread, I know. But better to post my question here than start a new thread. I read somewhere that OME leafs come as part number 95a and 95b. I had a shop install my springs and wanted to make sure they installed the leafs on the right sides (95a for the driver side and the 95b on the passenger side). Problem is, I have no idea where to look for these part numbers. There is a set of yellow numbers that are now covered by the bump stop and some other numbers that don't signify any difference between the two sides. Does anyone know how to confirm which spring is designated for which side... after they've been installed?

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I wish that was the case with mine.

My driver side sags over an inch from the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
is one longer than the other? Id just eyeball it, if the truck looks pretty level in the back then its probably good.

·
Registered
476 Posts
is one longer than the other? Id just eyeball it, if the truck looks pretty level in the back then its probably good.
These are the OME leaf springs and I'm not sure if one was longer than the other prior to install (more arch). It looks fine now with a bit of sag on the drivers side but nothing more than a 1/4" if that. Mainly just wondering if there's a place to check the part number on the springs after the install. I can't seem to identify anything on the springs showing the part number for left or right side.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts