TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
your speed last weekend on the highway when i told you guys over the radio that my speedo was reading 90mph?:eek: Was it like 67-70mph?

I know at one point I was side-by-side with harold just to get a GPS reading, but i can't remember what the reading was.

I'm trying to know which speedo gear to buy from Shannon.

Since I know I'm waaaaay off, i guess I'll buy the one with 33teeth, which i believe is the highest. Wait a minute, isn't the other way around?

well, lemme check the wiki article again.

thanks

·
Old School
938 Posts
90 to a 70 mph difference sounds like it is WAY off for 32's. You sure you got that right ?? What size gears do you have now ?? Just curious. I had 4.30 stock and 33" tires and my speed wasn't off that much (10mph or so). I run 35" tires and 4.88 gears now and I am just about right on...

Just seemed like a big speed gap for 1" difference in tire size from stock. 99's did come with 31" right ?? Mine is a 2000 and had 31" tires, figure '99 did too or was it 30" tires on that year ??

Laterz...

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
He regeared from 3.58>>>4.56
That's about a 27% change

·
Old School
938 Posts
So he has more gear than tire ? Ahh ok. Guess that would be higher. I was thinking mine was off on the high side but I guess it was the low side. Been a while :D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
grillmaster, thanks for running that calculation again. good reminder.

I'm looking forward to get the scangauge unit you told me, and a speedo gear with more teeth.

I guess at the end everything will come back to normal if i go to a 33" tire. I'm sure a 33X10.50 will fit with some mods to the pinch weld and front bumper.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Your gear change was a 27% change-

Your speedo @ 68 mph - seems to be off 32%

Speedo's are commonly off at certain speeds +/- 5% anyways

Just need to factor in your tire size change

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting, that's good to know.

Before, i had no gear whatsoever with the 3.58's, now it seems that i have way too much gear for the tires and tranny i have in my truck:confused:

Man, thanks for explaining that to me. You know, i read some stuff and i asked a bunch of questions before regearing, but now I'm really understanding all this stuff better.

Maybe you could swap your 4.30 gears for my 4.56's:D

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Maybe you could swap your 4.30 gears for my 4.56's:D
ssshhhhh ( I do have some spare 4.30 r& P up my sleeve)

You have a manual transmission or auto?
Did you regear or did you buy new thirds?

I am surprised that 4.56 are too low for your liking with the 32's.
I guess 33's may be the way to go-

When Stubbs444 regeared from 4.10>4.56 He had to jump up to 33 tires.
He has a v6 /auto

·
Old School
938 Posts
Quick question, are there different size speedo gears out there ??? I still have yet to make my speedo work after converting to 4WD way back when. I bought a speedo (wasted $200 on that :( ) but it does not work still. Any clue, I figured maybe the gear was the wrong size and not making contact in there or something...

I got 4.88's and 35's, good combo for a 2000. Oh, I got my 4.30 gears still too for the rear :)

Laterz...

EDIT: By the way, I originally got the new speedo because it was a cable driven one in the T case I bought from Ralph and my truck was electric. So I bought an elec one with the hopes that it would work. It didn't :(

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Chad, there are different gears, but they are interchangeable, meaning gear contact is the same for both.

I would doubt that contact is a likely issue in your case...

All Taco 4x4's through 2004 have the gear drive in the t-case.

4x2's had them in the trans... you swapped tranny's also didn't you? i can't remember. If so, it would require a little research- I am rusty on 4x2 stuff. :D

·
Old School
938 Posts
Chad, there are different gears, but they are interchangeable, meaning gear contact is the same for both.

I would doubt that contact is a likely issue in your case...

All Taco 4x4's through 2004 have the gear drive in the t-case.

4x2's had them in the trans... you swapped tranny's also didn't you? i can't remember. If so, it would require a little research- I am rusty on 4x2 stuff. :D
Yea that was the issue, I had to ditch the 4x2 tranny and get a 4x4 one with the speedo sensor in the T Case. On the 4x2 it was in a housing on the end of the tranny. So I bought a sensor for a T Case (ie: 4x4) but I never got it to work. I just use my GPS for speed now but it would be nice to get the speedo to work again, especially since my odometer stoped working the same time the speedo did :D Also my check engine light is always on because of this issue. Can't get it to turn off unless I fix the speed sensor...

I have no clue why it never worked. I thought I saw somewhere (maybe you told me about it) that there were multiple size gears that fit on the speedo sensor. I figured maybe the one I had was too small and was not making contact with the gear in the T Case. You don't think that is the case though huh ??

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Strange...

When I bought my transmission and transfer case, it didn't come with a speed sensor on it at all. There was just a plug on the t-case where the sensor should have gone. Luckily the place that I got the stuff from had another transmission and t-case that acutally had the sensor so I took it off that transfer case instead.

I installed the new speed sensor, xtended the wires, plugged it in, and its been working flawlessly after 40k miles.

·
Old School
938 Posts
Nope, there's only 2 gears, a 31 tooth and 33 tooth (IIRC)... both are interchangeable.

Early Tacos were cable driven, later ones (01 +) were electronic. Ditch the sensor and go to cable?
So the diameter of the 31 and 33 are pretty close meaning it would make contact ?? You say interchangeable, are they the same diameter ??

Mine is a 2000 with electric. As for switching to cable, I have no clue if that is possible...

Even if it was I don't have the old one anymore (cable) I don't think, or if I do I don't know where I put it. I moved about 2 times since then :)

·
Old School
938 Posts
Strange...

When I bought my transmission and transfer case, it didn't come with a speed sensor on it at all. There was just a plug on the t-case where the sensor should have gone. Luckily the place that I got the stuff from had another transmission and t-case that acutally had the sensor so I took it off that transfer case instead.

I installed the new speed sensor, xtended the wires, plugged it in, and its been working flawlessly after 40k miles.
I did what you did, extended the wires but it never worked. I double checked the wire job, wasn't rocket science, I did it right, couldn't figure out why it didn't work (gage of wire wouldn't be an issue would it ? I used something pretty close to the stock wire but I don't know if the gage was the exact same) Maybe I should just rip out the wires and try again ?? Something to look at when I have the WAT...

I would have just used the 4x2 sensor but it was totally different, the diameter of the plug was too small to fit the 4x4 sensor hole...

I see you have a 99, so that should be the same set up I have on my 00. I just don't know why I never got it to work. You didn't have to reset anything did you ?? Any trick I missed. I am stumped :(

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Nope, there's only 2 gears, a 31 tooth and 33 tooth
Have you been out of the parts business THAT long?

# 28t pt# 33403-39585
# 30t pt# 33403-39365
# 31t pt# 33403-39345
# 32t pt# 33403-39425
# 33t pt# 33403-39415

·
Old School
938 Posts
Have you been out of the parts business THAT long?

# 28t pt# 33403-39585
# 30t pt# 33403-39365
# 31t pt# 33403-39345
# 32t pt# 33403-39425
# 33t pt# 33403-39415
Question is :

does the actuall gear diameter change from the 28t to the 33t ?? Even if it is just a 1/16th of an inch it might not catch and thus not work correct ??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts