TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does having an LSD in the rear really do much off road? I'm thinking it would help a lot on road when trying to pull out into traffic in the rain and snow and stuff when I'm not in 4wd, but what about off-road? Will it help you climb up lose gravel hill?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I just got an Eaton Posi installed last week and I am very pleased with it's performance off-road. We all know it's not a full-on locker but for those of us that do more daily driving it works well. The only time it didn't "push" me was when I lifted a tire off the ground. Other that than I'm glad I purchased it. Don't listen to the smack talkers.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Smack talker here ;)...

You'll get stuck in the mall parking lot going over a farking speed bump...

If you really wheel yer shiat... don't waste yer money...

And all you LSD whiners put yer money where yer mouth is...
I'll be waiting at the trail head for you ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
TacoDell said:

I'll be waiting at the trail head for you
Who the fuck goes to the mall............

Keep driving Dell. You won't need to wait.

I didn't say I got stopped - only that I could feel the limited "slip".

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
That's what the last guy said...

Lets go brother... I know a trail that has some ruts and snow on it beckoning you at this moment... You might make it if you're not too skinny on the pedal... Don worry.... I got a strap and winch... I didn't leave the last guy that had an LSD (Nor the '06 tank he was driving... :rolleyes: ) LOL

Or we could just skip the chase... and head for Holcomb or the Bull... :D

I don't mind being made to look stupid... It's all about the attempt :p

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
99FlowedTaco said:
LSD is worthless offroad good for onroad.. thats about it..
Wrong.....I had an Eaton in my taco rear for over a year and I did everything that the locked front and rear guys did. It performed excellently. It was very capable and I would recommend it to anyone who is using their rig for occasional off road use.

·
Registered
358 Posts
99FlowedTaco said:
LSD is worthless offroad good for onroad.. thats about it..
Another stupid "all or nothing" argument that has no worth in the real world. There is absolutely, positively a place for limited-slip differentials in the four-wheeling community.

I used to have a Truetrac in the front of my truck (a prototype unit that had to be removed because it kept spitting out an axle shaft). It worked great off-road, and allowed me to conquer some hillclimbs and obstacles that my truck wouldn't do with just the rear locker.

I liked it because it worked, it never put the CV joints in danger (unlike ANY kind of locker can), and its operation was seamless. I never knew it was there except I noticed the front end was finally pulling its weight.

So tell me -- how "worthless" is that off-road?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
RaideRNatioN said:
Wrong.....I had an Eaton in my taco rear for over a year and I did everything that the locked front and rear guys did. It performed excellently. It was very capable and I would recommend it to anyone who is using their rig for occasional off road use.
FTR, just because you are following a guy with front and rear lockers is on a trail rated a 1-2 doesn't mean that you can do everything they can do, it just means you can do everything on that trail. :rolleyes: I have wheeled open/open and made the mistake of thinking I could "go anywhere the locked guys go", all that statement means is that you haven't seen them REALLY use the locker. I have also wheeled with a rear locker and got owned by guys locked front and rear and I know how to drive. It doesn't matter how much you "know how to drive", when you have a tire in the air, a locker will keep you moving, a limited slip will have you trying to get creative with the brakes and throttle.
A limited slip is better than being open, but not even close to being locked.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
jessevic said:
I hate it when people say that. Yes, an LSD isnt as good as a locker offroad, but I would take a LSD over open diffs offroad any day.
Fuck that... sure 1 out of 100 times a LSD MIGHT help... but the other 99 you have wasted your money. And if you live anywhere that sees snow or ice you will hate it. LSDs are too unpredictible on low traction surfaces... Open is a much better diff than LSD, its predictible... and predicitble is good when driving on snow/ice. Now if you live in the heat belt then you may get a little use out of it, but only onroad.. offroad they are worthless.

Sure you many not need a full locker, but you dont want a LSD, they are wothless and useless. They work when you dont want them to (snow/ice) and dont work when you want them to (offroad).

People buy selectibles, ARB or elocker, for the 99% of the time that they are open, not the 1% of the time they are locked.

Do a search on LSDs you will find that most posters despise them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
ah64id said:
Fuck that... sure 1 out of 100 times a LSD MIGHT help... but the other 99 you have wasted your money. And if you live anywhere that sees snow or ice you will hate it. LSDs are too unpredictible on low traction surfaces... Open is a much better diff than LSD, its predictible... and predicitble is good when driving on snow/ice. Now if you live in the heat belt then you may get a little use out of it, but only onroad.. offroad they are worthless.

Sure you many not need a full locker, but you dont want a LSD, they are wothless and useless. They work when you dont want them to (snow/ice) and dont work when you want them to (offroad).

People buy selectibles, ARB or elocker, for the 99% of the time that they are open, not the 1% of the time they are locked.

Do a search on LSDs you will find that most posters despise them.

Tell us about your personal experience running a limited-slip differential.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
JBL13 said:
Tell us about your personal experience running a limited-slip differential.
I have run them in many rigs over the last 10 years. Different models, on pickups and suv's. They are all junk. Face it, you made a bad decision and dont want to admit it. LSD's do not work as advertised, they work the opposite. Ever driven a LSD on a FS road with snow on it, hit a slightly offcamber spot and your truck wants to swap ends, try that with an open diff... Yeah thought so...

... LSDs are a waste of cash on any rig that sees real offroad, snow/ice, or anything but wet pavement. So if all you do is mall crawl in the rain you may be okay with a LSD, but if you actually use 4wd... for anything... you dont want to waste your cash, unless you have more money than sence...

Oh and explain this place that LSDs belong offroad....

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
TacoDell said:
Smack talker here ;)...

If you really wheel yer shiat... don't waste yer money...

And all you LSD whiners put yer money where yer mouth is...
I'll be waiting at the trail head for you ;)
I'll take my open diff rig up there, with no MT tires, and I'll be waiting for you at the top of the hill. ;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
ah64id said:
I have run them in many rigs over the last 10 years. Different models, on pickups and suv's. They are all junk. Face it, you made a bad decision and dont want to admit it. LSD's do not work as advertised, they work the opposite. Ever driven a LSD on a FS road with snow on it, hit a slightly offcamber spot and your truck wants to swap ends, try that with an open diff... Yeah thought so...

So buck up, be a man realized you made a fucked up purchase and comment and then we can all get on with our lives... LSDs are a waste of cash on any rig that sees real offroad, snow/ice, or anything but wet pavement. So if all you do is mall crawl in the rain you may be okay with a LSD, but if you actually use 4wd... for anything... you dont want to waste your cash, unless you have more money than sence...

Oh and explain this place that LSDs belong offroad....

Re-read my post above about my off-pavement experience with the Truetrac. It definitely made a difference. Was it a locker? Absolutely not. Did it do EXACTLY what I expected it to do? Yes, and I was a very happy camper when it came to the benefits. I'd still have it in the front of my truck if there hadn't been a problem with the axle shaft getting let go. It was a prototype, so I didn't pay for the unit. Another regret is that I didn't get to try it in Moab, a place I go fairly regularly.

I drove it on a wide variety of terrain, including in the snow (deep and hard-packed, as you'd find on a snowy commute). It did not adversely affect handling in any way.

If you see my sig, you'll note that I run an automatic locker in the rear. And, yes, living in northern Utah, I see plenty of snow and ice on the roads in the winter. I've never had any serious problems, but I'm very aware of what I'm doing with the skinny pedal when I drive in such conditions, and I engage 4WD if things look like they're getting dicey. I suspect you'd agree that an automatic locker behaves worse than a limited-slip would in terms of handling on snow and ice.

Note that my truck is nearly stock; no lift, no sliders. Nor do I intend to change much about my truck. So my "need" for a front locker is probably less than for, say, a pair of sliders. Bottom line is that my truck sees a lot of light to moderate 'wheeling, a scenario in which a good limited-slip such as a Truetrac has a lot to offer.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
37 Participants
Cmartinez95
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing