TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So...

About a month ago my dad had knee surgery, and my mom had just go outta the hospital. It was Saturday, September 22nd and I was camping with my friends but was in cell range and I had left that afternoon/eveningish.

My mom had called me asking if I had moved my dads car and I didn't, but when my dad went to go move it back the neighborn came out yelling at my dad telling him not to put it back because he would just move it back. He then started threatening my dad and harassing him about random irelevent things so my parents called the cops. At that time, like I said, my dad couldn't get down to look at it and my mom just about 2 days out of the hospital couldn't either, so my dad said that it looked fine from what he could see he told the cop that he couldn't get down to look under it because of his surgery about a week before. The neighbor then had admitted to the cop that he had jacked my dads car on jacks and moved it down.

Anyways, my dad is now able to look at it he opened his trunk on his car and the entire tire case was folded up into the trunk. The tire was not in the holder that drops under that car, it was rather pushed up. My dad called the cops later the day we found this out. The car runs fine by the way. The cop that they dispatched out this time tried to tell him that there wasn't anything they could do, since they didn't have a case file.

So he called the sargent, who told him that since they have a dispatch on file that he called them and a cop was sent out,that he could close the report. We just need to talk to the cop that was sent out that night, so we will when he gets back from vacation. We got an estimite of repairs on his car, and should be finishing the report in the next week or so. Does anyone know what would be done after this? I am wondering I am sure when the cop comes to talk to us he will tell us what comes next but I am honestly just curious.

·
7,735 Posts
most of my knowledge is illegal (stolen from unsuspecting 'holders of knowledge'), so feel free to ignore this...

I'm not sure I completely understood your post (not sure what a tire case is, perhaps you were reading up on welding during english class), but I've felt like moving my neighbors car for them a few times when they block access to my property. Good luck with the law suit.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok but do you think that we will be able to complete the report? When we called them they didnt even have a report on file? They only could tell us that we had called and that an officer was called to our house.

lol Doug, no its not really a tire case...its hard to explain where my dads spare on his car is under a mat in the trunk...which drops down under the car...so you dont lose trunk space...i guess...

And i wasnt reading about welding in my english class..it was more like sending all my 7000 text that i can do in a month...lmao

They aren't blocking our drive way and we aren't blocking theirs, their daughter is afraid of backing up. She wont back up anymore and her step dad doesnt want her parking in their drive way. They think we are taking up too much room, while parking 2 cars there. When she parks there and we park there they have an arms length and a half before any cars get close to their drive way.

She used to always back into my 4Runner, one day i told her she needed to take a driving course so she could at least back up and park. Since then she doesn't want to park there anymore or if she does she will park facing our cars which is fine. Her step dad got mad and i don't know was drunk and jacked my dads car up on jacks and moved it down the street. We can park like I said 3 cars there at once before hitting anyones drive way.

Oh an we can't park all our cars in our drive way, we have a big truck, my dads car, my moms car and mine. As well as a towing trailer and a large camping trailer, taking up a once grassy piece that we made into a drive way.

lol and thanks Doug for your illegeal knowledge, i have wanted to move her car sometimes too but never have.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
tire case AKA rear floor pan, and likely rear body panel (the piece below/behind the tail lights on a passenger car).

If someone did damage to your property there should be a police report about it, and it should be noted. Either they'll confess to it, and it can be worked out in a mature civil manner, or they'll deny it, then it's to court with the "he said she said" arguments.

Damages were found regarding the incident, police should take note and take action.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i think thats why the cop is coming back out so the we can finish the report...since we now have proof of damage!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Did you ever do anything when she 'always used to' back into your Runner other than saying something to her once? I would have had some insurance claims then. If she can't drive, she shouldn't be driving. Next course of action will probably be small claims court. If the dad is already a drunk jackass, be prepared for his attitude to escalate.

If someone was moving my cars around with a jack, I would probably be getting the cops called on me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well my dad was really mad about it, my dad wanted to beat the crap outta him but knew better...and the stupid part was my neighbor admitted it to the cop...and no i never did anything to her car ever...and i didnt claim anything on insurence because she never damaged my Runner..all i would ever do is ask her to stop backing into my car...

one day i know she got mad at me and started cussing me out and yelling at me...and trying to tell me to move my car...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Holy fuck, not to be mean on purpose but I tried a couple times and I cant read any of that. Each of your posts is an 8 paragraph run on sentence. An ellipse is not the same as a period.

That being said and based on the subject alone, you can try to google "free legal advice forum" then search or post on there for your problem. I've used that in the past with varying results. Keep in mind that each state will have different laws.

For Colorado laws, go here
http://www.michie.com/colorado

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I have to paint my bumper this weekend. You need someone to move his daughters car for ya?:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha no i think we might be ok...she is afraid of my dads 98 Dodge RAM 2500 Turbo desiel....

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
There are periods. Just more than you're used to.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
1. Get the cop to finish the report and make sure the neighbors admittance is in the report.
2. Get an estimate from a place you trust to do the work.
3. Ask the neighbor to pay.
4. If neighbor refuses to pay file vandalism charges against him.
5. If neighbor wont pay then turn it into your insurance with a copy of the police report, charges filed and admittance. They may pay for it then go after the guy themselves. It is possible your home owners insurance will pay if you only have liability on that vehicle.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
In no way should this be taken as sound legal advice. Just advice from someone who has mediocre secondhand knowledge.

First step, if you want to hassle with it at all, is to work on the police report.

Second would be to file the claim with insurance. They have people who pursue the other guys info, and will sue his insurance (which is how insurance claims work, btw).

You will need an estimate on the car. If it is a small enough amount of damage (under 7500 I believe), you may be able to pursue it in small claims court. If its over that, you'd need a full blown lawsuit.

My advice is to pursue through the insurance companies. The amount of hassle and crap and money you'd have to spend on a lawsuit is not worth it IMO. The stakes are too low.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I second the idea of letting the insurance company handle it when getting compensated for the damages, but I would damn sure be pursuing a police report and have charges brought on him. This will help the insurance company in the long run with any damage claims or lawsuits showing he admitted to doing it to PD. Without the report it his word against yours.

I would think something like this falls under vandalism, but I am wondering if it wouldn't be considered theft since he tried to move your vehicle without your permission. It would be a borderline decision I guess the LEO would have to make, but it comes with felony charges rather a misdemeanor vandalism charge.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts