TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and didn't find the answers i was hoping for so maybe you guys can help.

I would like a bed rack, but am trying to way out the pro's and con's of either having a cab high/slightly below rack or a flush with the bottom of the rear window rack.

The intended purpose of this rack would obviously be to hold high lift jack shovel ect. eventually it would carry a RTT and maybe a spare tire on the underside perhaps a few lights as well.

So from your guys experience do you find the taller racks to be more friendly/useful or are the smaller ones less obstructive?

Any advice pictures and ideas would be helpful thanks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well obviously the higher it is the tipsier it will be due to your center of gravity.

I would say it really depends on where you're gonna go. If you are gonna run difficult trails you would want to keep it low

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good point. I originally had drawn up one that was 19" above the bed rails with the thought that i could put a canvas over it and sleep in the bed till i get the RTT but then i saw BoxRockets low profile rack and got to thinking that might be a better setup.

But a few concerns about that are storage space underneath and also everyday use hauling lumber, bigger boxed thing ext. ... granted i know i can take it on and off but was hoping to get some feedback on everyday use of people who are running both and see if they have run into any obstacles or situations where the " Oh crap ...didn't really think about that one before i put this rack on here." Situation arose so i can see if there is anything that i might be overlooking.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My goals with mine were to keep it low enough that with a RTT mounted (closed) it would be level with or below the roofline. Same with my boxes that I carry occasionally. After a couple years of use my bedrack has been awesome and way better for my uses than I ever thought it would be when I started on it. However, my one flaw with mine is that it is a little too low. In general I like where it is, but if I need to use my ARB Fridge mounted in the bed it is too low and the fridge barely fits under the rack. Usually when I use the fridge I have my rear seat platform in the cab and the fridge mounts to that so it's not a huge issue. But if I have other people with me or my family and need the back seats and the fridge gets moved to the bed, then the rack becomes an issues at it current height. I plan to rebuild the legs slightly higher for better room for the fridge but where I can still keep a RTT below the roofline.

That's my suggestion. Take a look at what you will be carrying and how you want to use it and design it for your specific needs. There is no "one size fits all" approach.

If I have to carry big items etc I remove the rack. It's easy to unbolt it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My goals with mine were to keep it low enough that with a RTT mounted (closed) it would be level with or below the roofline.
I would think this, simply for aerodynamics.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My goals with mine were to keep it low enough that with a RTT mounted (closed) it would be level with or below the roofline. Same with my boxes that I carry occasionally. After a couple years of use my bedrack has been awesome and way better for my uses than I ever thought it would be when I started on it. However, my one flaw with mine is that it is a little too low. In general I like where it is, but if I need to use my ARB Fridge mounted in the bed it is too low and the fridge barely fits under the rack. Usually when I use the fridge I have my rear seat platform in the cab and the fridge mounts to that so it's not a huge issue. But if I have other people with me or my family and need the back seats and the fridge gets moved to the bed, then the rack becomes an issues at it current height. I plan to rebuild the legs slightly higher for better room for the fridge but where I can still keep a RTT below the roofline.

That's my suggestion. Take a look at what you will be carrying and how you want to use it and design it for your specific needs. There is no "one size fits all" approach.

If I have to carry big items etc I remove the rack. It's easy to unbolt it.

thats why used my dog kennels to build my rack. I wanted to be able to fit them under it easily. I have about an inch or so to spare with them. And mine is a full bed rack not a small one..so not as easy to take off as Adams. So i designed mine taller and with the side rails closer to the center for easy bed access. Couldn't be happier.

I think it could be like .5'' lower..but nothing worth fretting over.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Depends on how tall the animals are that are trying to eat you while you sleep in that roof top tent :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts