TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had pepboys put my OME 882's and shock together and got em both back like this! :confused: Should I be worried?

Left

Right

Together

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
i dunno what the spring support plates on the bottom of the spring look like but they look like they could be upside down? i dunno

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm looks like ill be going back to get em fixed.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Stupidchicken89 said:
Hmm looks like ill be going back to get em fixed.
Man, I would not put them on your truck until you do so. I would search around more, and find out for sure. They look very odd. I cant say for sure because it was back in 1999 when I had the setup. I dont think anything has changed, but these look different than mine did.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jhunter.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mojavehanna said:
Looks fine to me, there just not factory top plates. No big deal.
They are factory top plates. Got them from the stealership.

·
Registered
947 Posts
It could just be the picture, but when you look at them in person, is there a curve to it? It looks like thats the case in the picture. It should not look like that. They should be straight.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I don't know about those. Here's the best pic I could find of my 881's. The install of the strut assembly was perfect and everything lined up just fine. It appears the one on the right in your pic in bent???????

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The shock itself is not bent, as far as I know, but they way you look at it the spring is compressed so much and it is kicking it out to one side. They are the 882's, should that have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tderose said:
I don't know about those. Here's the best pic I could find of my 881's. The install of the strut assembly was perfect and everything lined up just fine. It appears the one on the right in your pic in bent???????

How did you do yours? Hand compressor or what?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Ive seen ome springs look like this. as for the top I dont know. dosnt look bad to me?:confused:
I dunno. I wouldnt be to concerned about the spring being out of wack. it will fix itself I think. Dont let pepboys work on your truck. goto a reputable shop.
Pepboys is like jiffy lube.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok makes me feel better. Tomorrow ill go back and readjust them to see if I can make the top plate a little more straighter. So the little tweak in the spring seems to be normal?

I called all around the past couple days to find a place with a bigger spring compressor than the hand one. They were the only ones.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok thanks Pucker. Should I go back and atleast try to make that top plate level?

·
Registered
947 Posts
If someone has seen the 882 pre-installed, and say that its normal, I would just stick it in I guess and see what happens. I have seen two different sets, both 881's and they were level and looked like the stock application. Maybe this is normal, and I agree with the pep boy statement. I would chance blowing my face off with a manual compressor before I let pep boys do work on my shit. (unless you know/trust someone there to do it that is). If you do try them, and they do not correct themselves, I would be concerned. "I" would that is. I am a neat freak, and this would bug me.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Stupidchicken89 said:
Ok thanks Pucker. Should I go back and atleast try to make that top plate level?
No need... it'll level out when you bolt it in...

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Yeah, looks pretty normal to me. That just happens sometimes. Drive it for a while and it should go away in no time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys. Going to try to get em in this weekend. Ill get some pictures up when I do it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts