TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Plywood cut to shape. 2x4 legs (for floor support) cut to length needed. Thick comfy foam on board then wrap in heavy cloth and staple to underside of plywood. Dog loves it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'll take some pics of mine at lunch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet. sounds good. hows the weather in Castle Rock?
Im on an extended vacation right now from the Springs....
I see it is like 60 or something!!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Stealthb4 said:
sweet. sounds good. hows the weather in Castle Rock?
Im on an extended vacation right now from the Springs....
I see it is like 60 or something!!!
I'm sending the pics in a PM. Sorry I didn't get these sooner....got a little tied up yesterday. Castle Rock weather has been great the last few days. I should be playing hookey at the golf course today, but a couple of sick days last week will keep me in the office today.

Edit: I sent instructions in a PM, for pics, you'll have to send me your e-mail.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
I have used a heavy card board box numerous times. I just score the box so it is even with the step in the back of the cab and bend the box over and cut a section out for the driveshaft hump, throw her blanket on and she is ready to go. It makes a nice study platform good enough for my 50 lb dog. And when the trip is over you just pull it out and toss it. I know its a little Red Green but hell it works for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm sending the pics in a PM. Sorry I didn't get these sooner....got a little tied up yesterday. Castle Rock weather has been great the last few days. I should be playing hookey at the golf course today, but a couple of sick days last week will keep me in the office today.

Edit: I sent instructions in a PM, for pics, you'll have to send me your e-mail.
Could you forward me the pics and instructions as well. I've been wanting to do the same thing for awhile just haven't got around to it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
These days I know how to post pics

Here's the bench

Here's what I did for my dogs. The distance between the junk catchers on either side is about 49", maybe 49.25", so a 48x21.25" piece of plywood won't quite cover the total distance, but it was close enough to use 2x4s to make up the difference. I used a 16.75" 2x4 along either edge because they are just wide enough to wedge between the fold-down seet and the junk catcher. If you center the plywood over the 2x4's you will have ~0.5" of extra 2x4 on the outside. I screwed the ply to the 2x4's as well as used angle brackets for added stability. It's tough to see in the pics, but I notched the area around the seat belt buckles, bolted in screw-eyes at all four corners, and trimmed the corners at 45*. I wanted the platform to be light and easily removed, so for stability in the front and middle I cut a piece of scap to fit over the tranny hump and made a channel on the bottom of the platform for the scrap to slip into. It is solid and doesn't sag at all. I keep telling myself I'm going to recover it with another color of carpet, but that outdoor carpet has held up so well I'm not that motivated to change it for the sake of aesthetics. This board covers from the back wall right to the back of the front seats and is low enough to still allow me to recline the seats and open the center console all the way. You can tell from the pictures, I keep a lot of crap under there too. The only complaint that I have is all the dog hair that builds up in the corners, but thats part of having a dog, right.

Since I don't ever have more than one passenger in my truck, it's also nice to have an out of sight place to tuck all the little things and a solid, broad, flat storage area for luggage, tools, grocieries, whatever, when the dog isn't riding along.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I leave these in all the time. I mainly put them in for my dog so he could have some where to chill out at when we are on a road trip. another perk is that my friends now don't mind riding in the back.

Its 5/8s plywood with some 2x6 cut down for the floor supports. the tabs on the back side slide under the stock seats and prevents any sliding or vibration . I had some 3 inch medium density foam pads made up and tacked some Velcro on the ply wood to keep the pads in place. all said and done it cost me about 100 bucks and I really pleased with it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Damn! You're setup kind of puts mine to shame......except that I used scrap wood and miscelanious spare hardware that I had lying around. Cost = $0.00. I don't think yours would work with my tool cubby speaker enclosure either. Your pooch has a pretty comfy place to ride.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Incase you dont want to break the bank just use OSB instead of plywood... at work we sell 7/16" osb for less than half the price of 1/2" plywood.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts