TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Jack russel got the cat's catnip toy, and his face is swelling up, what can I do....benadryl maybe? No vets open round here right now. I'm afraid his throat might swell shut. Help appreciated.

--Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey I just asked my wife, she's a veterinary technician, she said benadryl is something to try 1mg per pound of your dog's weight. Hope it's ok.

--bigharley

·
Registered
161 Posts
Benadryl should be a safe treatment if you feel the need to use it.

My vet recommends giving my dog a few teaspoons of it for a totally different reason, to calm her down when thunder storms are around.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Fishbone said:
My Jack russel got the cat's catnip toy, and his face is swelling up, what can I do....benadryl maybe? No vets open round here right now. I'm afraid his throat might swell shut. Help appreciated.

--Scott
according to a google search it is non-toxic. If the dog can breathe alright I would just watch him to make sure it doesn't get worse. Don't give the dog any meds unless you know the proper amount for your dog's weight. the vets in your area should have at least one Dr. on call for emergencies; that's usually how it works, even in small towns.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, he won't eat anything. We gave both our jacks bones about 4 oclock, and only he played with the catnip toy. That's why I'm assuming it's the catnip. Either way he is having an allergic reaction to something. I crushed up some benadrly in some water, he'll only drink water. He threw up twice and he got the shits, so maybe it was that bone....it was kinda big. But the other dog is fine, I dunno.

He drank some water with some benadryl in it, I'll kepp you posted.

THANKS for the quick help guys, I'd die if nything happened to my buddy.

His lips are all swollen and no color at all in them, and they're really cold, if that means anything.

And we have no emergency vet here, I'd have to drive 2 or 3 hrs for one in the city.

--Scott

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Fishbone said:
Well, he won't eat anything. We gave both our jacks bones about 4 oclock, and only he played with the catnip toy. That's why I'm assuming it's the catnip. Either way he is having an allergic reaction to something. I crushed up some benadrly in some water, he'll only drink water. He threw up twice and he got the shits, so maybe it was that bone....it was kinda big. But the other dog is fine, I dunno.

He drank some water with some benadryl in it, I'll kepp you posted.

THANKS for the quick help guys, I'd die if nything happened to my buddy.

His lips are all swollen and no color at all in them, and they're really cold, if that means anything.

And we have no emergency vet here, I'd have to drive 2 or 3 hrs for one in the city.

--Scott
dang, you don't even have a # to call for advice? that sure sucks. Be careful on the amount of Beny that you give him but if it is an allergic reaction that should calm the swelling down. he will be dopy though ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
bigharley said:
Hey I just asked my wife, she's a veterinary technician, she said benadryl is something to try 1mg per pound of your dog's weight. Hope it's ok.

--bigharley
cool, glad you found this thread, thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife said it was probably the bone, catnip wouldn't give your dog "the shits". She said the bone could tear up the dog's intestines, and if the dog is vomiting, having the runs, if the gums are pale, then he needs a veterinarian. The gums should be pink and moist. She suggested calling your regular vet as some vet's will leave an emergency number for situations like this.

--bigharley

·
Registered
793 Posts
Scott give us a status report..... :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm at work so I looked up the diphenhydramine hcl dose for dogs in plumb and it says 2-4mg/kg every 8-12 hours by mouth, using no more than 40mg total dose.

Be aware that it can cause sedative effects, diarrhea, and vomiting.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The swelling in his face went down, but now he has hives all over his body. He isn't vomiting or shittin', just the hives. He's acting normal, just a little itchy. Maybe the hives are from the benadryl???? He's eating, drinking and playing like normal. Lots better than last night. THANKS for the help guys.... I appreciate it.

--Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad to hear your little buddy is doing better. I just asked my wife (again), she said the hives wouldn't be from the benadryl, probably an allergic reaction from whatever your dog got in the first place, she suggested still giving the benadryl. Just glad to hear your dog's doing alright.

--bigharley

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bigharley said:
Glad to hear your little buddy is doing better. I just asked my wife (again), she said the hives wouldn't be from the benadryl, probably an allergic reaction from whatever your dog got in the first place, she suggested still giving the benadryl. Just glad to hear your dog's doing alright.

--bigharley
Yeah, he's better, hopefully the rash will go away, and all will be good again. :)
Thanks for your help, and tell your wife I said thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts