TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to start my exo/flatbed and was wondering what thickness yall would recommend for it, i will be using either 1.25 or 1.5 DOM and may buy some chromoly since i can get a bunch of it pretty cheap. also keep in mind ill be using a jb2 model 3 manual bender for it unless my buddy will let me borrow his tube shark which he uses every day for work.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
zszac111 said:
im about to start my exo/flatbed and was wondering what thickness yall would recommend for it, i will be using either 1.25 or 1.5 DOM and may buy some chromoly since i can get a bunch of it pretty cheap. also keep in mind ill be using a jb2 model 3 manual bender for it unless my buddy will let me borrow his tube shark which he uses every day for work.
1.5 DOM will work fine, chromo is useless unless you have a way to heat treat it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what ID though? .120, .150 .200?? i dont have a way to heat treat the chromoly unless i throw it in the camp fire for a while :D lol. guess ill go with regular DOM and be done with it.

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
zszac111 said:
what ID though? .120, .150 .200?? i dont have a way to heat treat the chromoly unless i throw it in the camp fire for a while :D lol. guess ill go with regular DOM and be done with it.

Most people use .120 wall.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
zszac111 said:
.120 unless you are superman... LOL

some people on internal cages make the main tubes out of 1 1/2 .120 wall and all other bars out of 1 1/2 .90 wall...

·
Registered
650 Posts
i'd stick w/ 2" x.120 wall on an exo. part of the point of an exo is to save the body, so if the cage crushes into the cab, have fun fixing both the cage and the cab.
1.5" will crush in a good hard multi roll pretty easily, but will hold up fine in a minor roll.
chromo is a bit overkill for low speed rock crawling rolls and is left for the race cars and baja guys. if you know how to work w/ it, it does earn extra bling points.
of course the most important is the design, mounting, etc.... doesnt help if your seats rip out and you get ejected thru your cage.

i have been upside down a few times, so stonger is better... you definetly think about it when your about to go over, and then as you sit there dangeling from your seat belt afterwards.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
snowchucker said:
i'd stick w/ 2" x.120 wall on an exo. part of the point of an exo is to save the body, so if the cage crushes into the cab, have fun fixing both the cage and the cab.
1.5" will crush in a good hard multi roll pretty easily, but will hold up fine in a minor roll.
chromo is a bit overkill for low speed rock crawling rolls and is left for the race cars and baja guys. if you know how to work w/ it, it does earn extra bling points.
of course the most important is the design, mounting, etc.... doesnt help if your seats rip out and you get ejected thru your cage.

i have been upside down a few times, so stonger is better... you definetly think about it when your about to go over, and then as you sit there dangeling from your seat belt afterwards.
good advise, dont you love the feeling you get when you have to unclip the belt and fall on your head, kinda adds insult to injury.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
DesertTRD said:
1.5 DOM will work fine, chromo is useless unless you have a way to heat treat it.
Why would you have to heat treat it?? I asked a friend at Porter, and they don't heat treat their trophy truck chassis.... And Ducati doesn't heat treat their motorcycle chassis. Like 12 world championships, and no heat treating. For chromo, the deal is proper heating around the welds to not spot harden them, making that area brittle. But, as it is 1/3 stronger than cold rolled(approximately), what is there to lose, other than the money top buy it??
The biggest problem with the stuff is paying for it.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Why would you have to heat treat it?? I asked a friend at Porter, and they don't heat treat their trophy truck chassis.... And Ducati doesn't heat treat their motorcycle chassis. Like 12 world championships, and no heat treating. For chromo, the deal is proper heating around the welds to not spot harden them, making that area brittle. But, as it is 1/3 stronger than cold rolled(approximately), what is there to lose, other than the money top buy it??
The biggest problem with the stuff is paying for it.
uhh yea, and everybody here knows exactly how to preheat and to post heat it to cool it down properly to not make it brittle, im sure....

Ive seen chromoly break before, i know what improper welding can do..

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
what about heliarc? i dunno what ur situation is on that, but i know its a safer route than mig or stick, i know its safer to weld cast with

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys, ill be buying the shit next week so i can mess up on all the bends and cuss alot :D then its time to fix all the body damage on the cab (going to take a long fawking time) and paint it some other color. :confused:

·
Registered
271 Posts
i used 1 3/4" .120 DOM for the main tubes, and 1 1/2 .120 DOM for the rest of the tubing for my in cab cage... .120 wall is what most people use for mild steel/DOM

as for the person who said chromo is 1/3 stronger so it doesnt matter... not necessarily true, people often use .95 because of the added strength in order to shed some of the weight, so technically it could infact be weaker than using mild steel, or DOM.

·
Registered
650 Posts
DesertTRD said:
good advise, dont you love the feeling you get when you have to unclip the belt and fall on your head, kinda adds insult to injury.

i espescially love it when all that misc. crap on the floor nails you in the head and yardsales all over the place. I just grab the bottom of my seat, hold my head away from the window, and squeeze tightly...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
snowchucker said:
i espescially love it when all that misc. crap on the floor nails you in the head and yardsales all over the place. I just grab the bottom of my seat, hold my head away from the window, and squeeze tightly...

lol. been there done that, hell i would probably die if it roled now, not from the role but from shit hitting me in the head since there is so much shit behind my seat. i usually clean it all out before a ride but i foreget sometimes :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
i should be fine in a roll as far as stuff in the cab goes, as long as my glove box doesnt fly open, its my tool box for right now lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts